Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,367

1 members and 2,366 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Re: Dehydrated/underweight

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekerk View Post
    Also regarding mites they like to crawl out of tubs and enclosures so do multiple deep cleans in the room they are in as they like to go elsewhere and come back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Legal & available or not, THAT would be a deal-breaker for me. "Be careful what you wish for."
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2022 at 03:01 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts

Re: Using predatory mites for snake mite eradication

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Is there evidence that these, Cheyletus eruditus, are legally available in the US? Insect predators are regulated by USDA/APHIS. I find no sources for purchase in the US, and importing them would require a permit.
    I contacted APHIS; here's my message and the response.

"Could you please tell me the regulatory status of Cheyletus eruditus — whether the organism can be possessed/transported/imported in the US, and what are the requirements (containment facility, etc) for doing so? I’m in the state of Wisconsin, if that’s relevant."

"This email is in response to your recent inquiry to the Pest Permits email as to the initiation of the application process for the movement of Cheyletus eruditus into the United States. The USDA APHIS-PPQ Plant Pest Permitting unit makes regulatory determinations from a permit application.

You will need to complete a PPQ 526 Form (see our website: https://efile.aphis.usda.gov) to apply for an import/interstate permit to authorize the movement of organisms (potential plant pest/biocontrol organisms) into the United States. The Permit Scientist will review your application and make a regulatory determination as to whether a Permit, a Letter of No Jurisdiction, a Letter No Permit Required, or a Letter of Denial will be issued. If a permit is required, you may need to have a containment facility inspected and approved by APHIS-PPQ. See link for containment facility guidelines at:https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/our...ts/containment.

The application form can be submitted electronically to the ePermits system (Preferred!). You must have a Verified account (Level 2 eAuthentication) for access – see https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/res...eauth-epermits for instructions on how to get a Verified account). You may also fax or use the expressed mail by DHL, UPS or FedEx or mailed via U.S. Postal, a paper application to APHIS, PPQ, 4700 River Road, Unit 133, Riverdale, Maryland 20737.

The Permit will provide the regulations and conditions that should be met. It is advised that no sample material be shipped to the destination from the source prior to the Permit being issued or regulatory decision made.

Should you have questions, please contact Telephone 301-851-2285, Toll Free 866-524-5421.
    E-mail – Pest.Permits@usda.gov

Thanks,

USDA-APHIS Plant Pest Permits
    Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service,
    Plant Protection and Quarantine,
    Pest Exclusion and Import Programs
    Permitting and Compliance Coordination Division
    Pests, Pathogens, and Biocontrol Permits Branch
    4700 River Road

Riverdale, MD 20737"

I've asked similar questions of APHIS before, and been been given more details of regulations (I have some PPQ permits, but not for anything that requires containment facilities). This response implies that it is not yet determined whether they'd be allowed import.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-29-2022),Homebody (12-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    It sure doesn't sound "do-able" to me... Wow, thank you for your diligent research on this, Malum...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (12-29-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12