Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,033

0 members and 2,033 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Mistaken pinky for feeder

Pinky as my finger not as an a baby rat. It’s been a prolong shedding process and I’ve noticed my Roxanne looks awful hungry anytime I’m checking for shed or tending to her enclosure.
    Tonight I thought I’d give a little bit better of an inspection to see if she’s defecated or shed. When I was moving her to her holding box, she started to cuddle up on me calmly. My fault for not considering she is blind as a bat, and I allowed her to inspect my hands as she usually would. Naturally, I’ve missed handling her for the last six weeks.
    Then boom she grabbed the tip of my pinky and constricted my hand and wrist. I tried to wait it out and persuade her to slither back into her enclosure, but with no avail. After a minute or two there was a fair amount of blood running down my arm under the floor and she was trying to take down my pinky. I knew I had to intervene.
    The only thing I had on hand was some alcohol that I use for disinfecting my hands after handling. I sprayed a little on the base of my pinky she didn’t let go. I sprayed a little bit more, and she finally released. Since I have never have done this before, and I was concerned that she might’ve gotten a little in her mouth, I gave her a massive misting afterwards of fresh water in case I accidentally got some rubbing alcohol on her. She wasn’t very excited about that, but it gave me a chance to go through her enclosure.
    Of course, I’m glad that I didn’t hurt her or overreact and drop her but naturally, I am concerned about trust (on both our parts)and how much longer I should wait to feed her if she’s displaying such hunger.
    One thing I did learn is, don’t expect to cuddle during shed time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by D-.No; 12-27-2022 at 10:29 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    I'll give you much credit for keeping your cool. And props to her for having a good appetite- If I remember right, you're not even sure she is in shed? And she's clearly famished, so I think I'd go ahead & feed her. (I'm not seeing her, of course- but usually snakes in shed won't eat.)

I can see where you might not be trusting her so much in the future, but mostly it's a matter of paying close attention & learning to read her body language better. Also, when you see signs that she is hungry, you need to clearly identify to her that you are not "it", or just avoid handling her at that time- some snakes are harder than others to dissuade. You just need more experience.

BTW, a snake "in shed" will usually bite defensively. This does NOT sound like a defensive bite- it sounds like hunger to me, since she hung on. That's a feeding bite- the kind we all wish to avoid. Your pinky was warm & wiggling- it met her criteria, lol. Oops!
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-27-2022 at 11:42 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (12-27-2022),Homebody (12-28-2022)

Thanks

Re: Mistaken pinky for feeder

She has retained a duller color for a while. Her behavior is fearful and confused as if she cannot see. I was pretty confident that I had delayed her shed by feeding her twice in the past 6–7 weeks.
    But even with this erratic behavior, when I start moving stuff around, moistening her moss, or looking for old skin, I see her approaching me in that hunger mode , blind hunger mode- hehe
    Yes, she is always in the mood for a meal and I think that’s why I might’ve prematurely fed her before. Why would she be hunting end in hunger if she truly is going into shed?
    After tonight, I was definitely getting ready to start defrosting a mouse but wanted to chime in considering I don’t want to perpetuate the discomfort of her wanting to shed.
    But judging from the bite and the coil, there’s no question she’s gotten bigger since last time I had held her-lol

Thanks
    Exactly when was her last shed? And when was she fed last? Can you post pics of her?

Also, do you know how to tell when a snake is clouded up to shed from looking at their eyes? (It's harder to tell in some light colored snakes than others, but there are ways.)

I think she has clearly voiced her opinion for food. And we don't want you to need a transfusion-
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2022 at 12:04 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (12-28-2022)

Thanks

Her last completed shed was found October 20. This was only the second shed found since august. She’s only 6 months old.
    Started noticing a major pink belly and her struggling with discomfort the second week of November.
    I fed her November 23 and December 13.
    Today I gave her an inspection before the bite, no pink belly but her physical response to me is a abnormal enough to make me believe that she did not shed. I also had a chance to sift through everything and did not find her shed.
    I took a rat out for her to make sure I have one thawed for her tomorrow night.
    Probably should’ve taken some photos when she was in her hold box tonight. But I was more concerned of getting her out of her high strung attitude, and making sure that the alcohol did not have any adverse effects.
    Last edited by D-.No; 12-28-2022 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks
    A snake (BP) her age should be fed about once a week- it doesn't sound like she's eating enough, & that could be why she couldn't complete a shed cycle either. Shedding is the result of growth, & growth requires good nutrition. Feed that snake! No wonder she bit you.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2022 at 12:35 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (12-28-2022),Homebody (12-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    A snake (BP) her age should be fed about once a week- it doesn't sound like she's eating enough, & that could be why she couldn't complete a shed cycle either. Shedding is the result of growth, & growth requires good nutrition. Feed that snake! No wonder she bit you.
    I agree with Boger. I fed my bp on schedule. I trusted that if he was going into shed, he would know and refuse on his own. It takes the guess work out of it.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2022),D-.No (12-28-2022)

Thanks

Totally agree. That’s why I fed her thinking she would know best. The only reason I had not been feeding her because I thought I had I been preventing her from shedding.

Again more contradicting info online. Some say don’t feed during shed, six weeks or more. Others say when she resumes activity assume she’s ready.
    Trust me, I have a freezer full of rats and only ten fingers. The choice is obvious.

Not my first snake but my first tropical species so I appreciate the help!

Last edited by D-.No; 12-28-2022 at 09:00 AM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2022),Homebody (12-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    Totally agree. That’s why I fed her thinking she would know best. The only reason I had not been feeding her because I thought I had I been preventing her from shedding.

Again more contradicting info online. Some say don’t feed during shed, six weeks or more. Others say when she resumes activity assume she’s ready.
    Trust me, I have a freezer full of rats and only ten fingers. The choice is obvious.

Not my first snake but my first tropical species so I appreciate the help!

As far as conflicting info online- be careful who you believe. Snakes do NOT take 6 weeks to shed. Feed your snake! Or surrender more "pinkies",

The only reason it's better not to feed a snake that's in shed ("blue") is that both digestion AND shedding requires (uses up) water in their body. It requires good hydration- otherwise they can have a "bad" shed (stuck on & needs help to come off- usually in many pieces), OR they could even barf up the food provided instead (that's usually just if they're fully blue already when fed).

Some snakes can manage just fine, but others cannot- & you don't know until it's your snake that's stuck in their awful shed. I prefer to prevent issues.

This is why most snakes INSTINCTIVELY refuse to eat when they sense a shed coming (often even before you can see the obvious signs). But sometimes they'll accept food anyway if offered- because remember that in the wild, they don't have "room service"- when they don't see well, they lay low & get the shed done- they wisely evolved to not eat during that time. We need to understand & follow what nature taught them. They "know" what they need.

In case you never noticed, when the shed skin is fresh it feels moist- that's because the snake's body secretes moisture between the old & new skin right before they shed, to facilitate the old skin coming off. And that is why snakes need good hydration well before they shed, & that is why digestion at the same time isn't the best idea (& can cause problems with the shed). Even though a snake's body is designed to conserve moisture (they excrete urates rather than liquid urine) their digestion of food & excretion of waste still uses up some water in their body. Again- shedding does NOT take 6 weeks.

As stated previously- snakes eat & grow. In time, they outgrow the old skin, but without enough food, that cannot happen. Your snake NEEDS food- like "yesterday".
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-28-2022 at 02:19 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (12-28-2022),Homebody (12-31-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-28-2022)

Thanks

We’ll she got a nice nice rodent early this morning. We’re both happy and will not (hopefully!) go through that ordeal again.
    I’ll give her some space as well, I know she was more traumatized than I last night

Last edited by D-.No; 12-28-2022 at 03:21 PM.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-28-2022),Homebody (12-31-2022)