Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,484

4 members and 1,480 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,533
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Dehydrated/underweight

First off: We love our snake. We want to do what’s best for him. He is my sons most prized possession. So, anything we have done wrong has been accidental. Edited to add: he is 21 weeks old.

here are tank stats:

glass 20 long with mesh lid
    88F on hot side with 92 basking spot, 78 cool side
    Humidity: everywhere. Trying to keep 65% and failing. Keeps falling to 20%. Top is foiled. Put in a humid hide.

I started noticing about a week ago that he’s appearing thin to me and possibly dehydrated due to some wrinkles. Here’s how I think we got here:

1) when we got him from repticon, and being new at all of this, I asked the breeder what he ate. The answer was rat fuzzies. We went to the feeder booth and ordered rat fuzzies. Little did I know up until about 3 weeks ago, what they had labeled as rat fuzzies were actually really rat pinkies. So I think we have been unknowingly feeding him too little food which makes me sad. I ordered both some fuzzies and pups from perfect prey. They will be here soon.

2) humidity is an issue. It’s inconsistent despite our best efforts. Summer won’t matter. It’s hot and humid here. But, this winter is a problem.

3) mites. He came home with mites. We are still treating for them and have been since November. I haven’t seen any adult mites but we still aren’t using a substrate that can hold moisture. So, humidity again.

I soaked him today. He drank for a good long while and then drank again. I replaced him and he took a hopper mouse.

here are some photos of him so you can see what’s going on with his skin. Please comment on if he’s skinny, if he’s dehydrated, and what we can do to best help him. Photos with red hide are from today. The other ne was a week ago.

Last edited by GuardianHunter; 12-26-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,182 Posts

Re: Dehydrated/underweight

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianHunter View Post
    First off: We love our snake. We want to do what’s best for him. He is my sons most prized possession. So, anything we have done wrong has been accidental. Edited to add: he is 21 weeks old.

here are tank stats:

glass 20 long with mesh lid
    88F on hot side with 92 basking spot, 78 cool side
    Humidity: everywhere. Trying to keep 65% and failing. Keeps falling to 20%. Top is foiled. Put in a humid hide.

I started noticing about a week ago that he’s appearing thin to me and possibly dehydrated due to some wrinkles. Here’s how I think we got here:

1) when we got him from repticon, and being new at all of this, I asked the breeder what he ate. The answer was rat fuzzies. We went to the feeder booth and ordered rat fuzzies. Little did I know up until about 3 weeks ago, what they had labeled as rat fuzzies were actually really rat pinkies. So I think we have been unknowingly feeding him too little food which makes me sad. I ordered both some fuzzies and pups from perfect prey. They will be here soon.

2) humidity is an issue. It’s inconsistent despite our best efforts. Summer won’t matter. It’s hot and humid here. But, this winter is a problem.

3) mites. He came home with mites. We are still treating for them and have been since November. I haven’t seen any adult mites but we still aren’t using a substrate that can hold moisture. So, humidity again.

I soaked him today. He drank for a good long while and then drank again. I replaced him and he took a hopper mouse.

here are some photos of him so you can see what’s going on with his skin. Please comment on if he’s skinny, if he’s dehydrated, and what we can do to best help him. Photos with red hide are from today. The other ne was a week ago.
    Regarding feeding, he doesn't look that thin to me. You've ordered appropriately sized prey, so keep feeding him what you have until that arrives. He should be fine on that score.

Regarding humidity, I always say if you want humidity to go up, put water in and don't let it get out. So, if you aren't already, you should mist frequently. Post a pic of your enclosure (particularly the lid) and I'll let you know if I see any additional ways you can keep the humidity from escaping. Humidity holding substrate will help too, but I understand your holding off until the mite treatment is done.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-26-2022 at 06:14 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-26-2022),GuardianHunter (12-26-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    He doesn't look "skinny" to me either, but about those "wrinkles"- he looks like he's heading into a shed cycle to me, & that means you need to get that humidity UP quickly & keep it there until he gets done with his shed. When he's not in shed, humidity around 55% is okay, but in shed, 65-70% is best, ESPECIALLY because he's also battling mites- mites dehydrate a snake by sucking their blood- they're a health risk in many ways.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (12-26-2022)

Thanks

Sure. Here is what’s going on with the top. Foil on both sides. I upped the size of his water dish to mega and stuck it under his heat lamp in hopes to create some moisture.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    He doesn't look "skinny" to me either, but about those "wrinkles"- he looks like he's heading into a shed cycle to me, & that means you need to get that humidity UP quickly & keep it there until he gets done with his shed. When he's not in shed, humidity around 55% is okay, but in shed, 65-70% is best, ESPECIALLY because he's also battling mites- mites dehydrate a snake by sucking their blood- they're a health risk in many ways.

what started to worry me was the prominent backbone. And I felt like I could feel his ribs a little more. I’m glad to know he doesn’t look alarmingly skinny—and hoping to keep it from happening. We should have his new rats shipped in early January. Last week he took two rat pinkies and this week a hopper mouse.

I wondered about shed cycle. His little neck folds though are nothing short of downright geriatric though… maybe both?

Thanks

Sure. Here is what’s going on with the top. Foil on both sides. I upped the size of his water dish to mega and stuck it under his heat lamp in hopes to create some moisture.
    Sorry, I got nothin'. I'm not a glass terrarium keeper. I thought if I had a look at it, something would come to me, but I looks to me like you've sealed it as much as it's safe to do.

So, if you can't keep the water from getting out, put more in. In addition to the misting, you could put some saturated sponges in there until you can change the substrate.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-26-2022 at 06:46 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

GuardianHunter (12-26-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-26-2022)

Thanks

I wondered about shed cycle. His little neck folds though are nothing short of downright geriatric though… maybe both?
    To me nothing in the photos stood out to me except that neck fold. I don't know what it indicates, but it does look unusual to me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    To me nothing in the photos stood out to me except that neck fold. I don't know what it indicates, but it does look unusual to me.
    The snake had mites & he's somewhat dehydrated- also because I think he's going into a shed cycle. Successful sheds REQUIRE good hydration. Mites did not help. All functions of a snake's body, including survival, require adequate hydration. Hopefully the mites are all gone now.

@ GuardianHunter- He's not "geriatric"-
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-27-2022 at 05:50 PM.

Thanks

Are you seeing something that’s alerting you to
    mites? We are still treating for it but I haven’t seen any evidence of activity in a good while. Are you seeing something I’m missing?

editing to add: although treatment is ongoing I’m hoping that we are over with, but if you were seeing something I was missing I wanted to know so I don’t go through all this AGAIN
    Last edited by GuardianHunter; 12-26-2022 at 07:21 PM.

Thanks

Are you seeing something that’s alerting you to
    mites? We are still treating for it but I haven’t seen any evidence of activity in a good while. Are you seeing something I’m missing?

editing to add: although treatment is ongoing I’m hoping that we are over with, but if you were seeing something I was missing I wanted to know so I don’t go through all this AGAIN
    No, I was taking your word for it- no bionic eyes here, sorry. Either way, hydration, hydration, hydration.

Also, most "baby" snakes look a little thin after they take a dump- that's because they keep getting a tiny bit longer, instead of filling "out". I'm not seeing a weight issue that would concern me.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GuardianHunter (12-26-2022)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast