Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,873

3 members and 2,870 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Consensus on this issue documentation structure?

Hello all, bit of a unique post.

I'm currently working on a document which is intended to document the issues and solutions of ball python husbandry. At the moment I have one trial issue, which relates to usage of Benzalkonium chloride. The example is shown in the image below.

My question is asking for thoughts on the structure of this documentation. Is there any documentation categories that could be added other than the five currently provided (issue, symptoms, causes, solutions, sources)? Is there anything else other ball python owners would want to know concerning issues? Asking so I don't suddenly realize something I've missed and have to change hundreds of issues months into the future!

Posted to advanced husbandry — I couldn't really decide whether this an advanced topic or general topic; issues would be documented from both, and other sources in general so...

edit: just realised I didn't add the treatment to the solutions; i'll add it in a revision
    Last edited by xAnthemia; 12-26-2022 at 03:58 PM. Reason: treatment edit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts
    Looks like a good project.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 414 Posts
    I myself really like to know 'mechanisms of effect', but that might not be a box that the various husbandry issues fill well.

Not your question, but: in the thread you use as a supporting citation there was not sufficient evidence to establish that the chemical caused the issue. It was one anecdotal instance of post hoc correlation. Further, the OP said the snake seemed to be rubbing the area, which would also cause redness, especially if rubbed enough to cause scale damage which the OP noted. The OP also noted that after using the disinfectant the surfaces were both wiped clean and rinsed with water, so it isn't even clear whether the chemical was even present (except to appeal to the symptoms, but that's fallacious reasoning).

Note also that some indispensable disinfectants (ammonia and H2O2 are the only practical disinfectants that have been shown to inactivate cryptosporidium spores, for example) have serious health risks, so recommending a halt to usage of any disinfectants with such hazards wouldn't be beneficial.

Benzalkonium chloride is actually used in a bath for reptiles and amphibians:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/avj.12341
    https://academic.oup.com/mmy/article...9/4/215/943369

None of this is to say that a different disinfectant wouldn't be better (benzalkonium chloride actually has shortcomings in efficacy, which is reason enough to use something else), but only to say that as a source for a factual claim that thread falls quite short.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-26-2022),xAnthemia (12-26-2022)

Thanks

Question Re: Consensus on this issue documentation structure?

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I myself really like to know 'mechanisms of effect', but that might not be a box that the various husbandry issues fill well.

Not your question, but: in the thread you use as a supporting citation there was not sufficient evidence to establish that the chemical caused the issue. It was one anecdotal instance of post hoc correlation. Further, the OP said the snake seemed to be rubbing the area, which would also cause redness, especially if rubbed enough to cause scale damage which the OP noted. The OP also noted that after using the disinfectant the surfaces were both wiped clean and rinsed with water, so it isn't even clear whether the chemical was even present (except to appeal to the symptoms, but that's fallacious reasoning).

Note also that some indispensable disinfectants (ammonia and H2O2 are the only practical disinfectants that have been shown to inactivate cryptosporidium spores, for example) have serious health risks, so recommending a halt to usage of any disinfectants with such hazards wouldn't be beneficial.

Benzalkonium chloride is actually used in a bath for reptiles and amphibians:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...1111/avj.12341
    https://academic.oup.com/mmy/article...9/4/215/943369

None of this is to say that a different disinfectant wouldn't be better (benzalkonium chloride actually has shortcomings in efficacy, which is reason enough to use something else), but only to say that as a source for a factual claim that thread falls quite short.
    Thanks for the revisional information — do you want to be listed as a collaborator?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 414 Posts

Re: Consensus on this issue documentation structure?

Quote Originally Posted by xAnthemia View Post
    Thanks for the revisional information — do you want to be listed as a collaborator?
    Eh, up to you. I won't feel slighted if not, but I appreciate that you value the comments either way.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: Consensus on this issue documentation structure?

Reminds me of a COSHH sheet in uk, if you want some ideas have a look at examples of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk