Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,600

1 members and 1,599 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Question The US-ARK thing: what's your disaster plan?

I've been reading a lot US-ARK related posts (particularly the alerts), and I've been curious to know your disaster plans.

Let's say a law is passed in your state that prevents x, where x is a thing you do, regarding reptiles. What is your disaster plan? Just give up and sell everything? Look into moving state? Raise an army of noodles to try and take over congress?

I'm the the UK so it doesn't affect me, but I'd like to voice my support for any opposition movements to anything. I'm very much a don't step on snek person. Here is my country, I can't even attempt to live feed without necessity, as I will immediately be thrown into prison, lose my job, and be given a criminal record if discovered — no questions asked. I know voicing support doesn't do much, but every little thing helps, as they say in TESCOs.

Also, merry Christmas!
    Last edited by xAnthemia; 12-25-2022 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Edited 25/12/2022: final edit, fixed some stuff

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2022),ecoles5 (01-29-2023),Homebody (12-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Re: The US-ARK thing: what's your disaster plan?

Quote Originally Posted by xAnthemia View Post
    ... Raise an army of noodles to try and take over congress? ...
    Hmm? Good idea! Seriously, sticking together is the first thing, & that's where USARK comes into play. It's the same reason that workers join unions...to protect their rights.

With alerts from USARK, we can speak up to our representatives in government & that let's them know that we're paying attention & fighting back. USARK is good but they can't do it alone- we need to pay attention & be vocal when they post alerts- not be "doormats".

I think it's also on all of us to help educate others about snakes (being good pets, & reducing people's fear) whenever we can. It may seem like "a drop in the bucket" but those drops do add up to changing minds, & thereby changing acceptance. And supporting rescue & educational organizations that do this helps as well. There's so much misinformation & fear to overcome- we just have to keep at it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (12-25-2022),Homebody (12-25-2022),xAnthemia (12-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

I agree with Bogertophis completely here.

Education, support, and vocalization.

Remember, you can support USARK by becoming a member (you get a T-shirt and it's not that expensive) or making a donation. Everything helps. They are a great organization and have our backs as reptile keepers.

Additionally, you can reach out to your politicians when something comes up, or even preemptively. Let them know that freedom isn't just about speech, voting, firearms, etc. but also in ones ability to enjoy their life. That includes pets that are (mostly) harmless.
    Last edited by dakski; 12-25-2022 at 08:16 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2022),Homebody (12-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 417 Posts
    I think things worth worrying about when it comes to breaking a law are:

• the penalties for violating the law, and whether those are worth risking,
    • the moral/public good worth of the the law itself,
    • whether a violation could be a matter of productive civil disobedience
    • the public perception of both those who break the law and the group(s) that might be seen as guilty by association
    • the aftereffects of individual or group violations of the law (such as followup/reactionary, 'get-tough-on-x' legislation)

I'd personally consider how those all play out in a given circumstance and then decide how to proceed. In all the plausible reptile related scenarios I imagine, simply following the law while speaking out about it is likely going to be the most reasonable and productive choice.

Edit to add: it seems you didn't even ask about whether to obey or violate the law. Interesting how that was the extent of my thoughts about the issue.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; 12-25-2022 at 01:09 PM. Reason: hit 'post' too soon

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2022),Homebody (12-25-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I think things worth worrying about when it comes to breaking a law are:

• the penalties for violating the law, and whether those are worth risking,
    • the moral/public good worth of the the law itself,
    • whether a violation could be a matter of productive civil disobedience
    • the public perception of both those who break the law and the group(s) that might be seen as guilty by association
    • the aftereffects of individual or group violations of the law (such as followup/reactionary, 'get-tough-on-x' legislation)

I'd personally consider how those all play out in a given circumstance and then decide how to proceed. In all the plausible reptile related scenarios I imagine, simply following the law while speaking out about it is likely going to be the most reasonable and productive choice.

Edit to add: it seems you didn't even ask about whether to obey or violate the law. Interesting how that was the extent of my thoughts about the issue.

In the eyes of most "disinterested parties" (others in society who are neutral in opinion, uninvolved or uninformed), overtly disobeying laws (even unjust and hastily passed ones) are seen as evidence to discredit all those stepping out of line- in other words, giving a black eye to reptile keepers who already have an uphill climb to change public opinions about reptiles & those who keep them.

So yes, I agree- we do much better when we remain mature & responsible law-abiding members of society, giving no reason for public opinion to go against us. Speak out, yes, but follow the laws- doing otherwise will only backfire & make us look bad ("guilty"), turning more public opinion against snake (reptile) keepers. Remember that many people are pet-lovers- they just haven't yet been convinced that reptiles too are pets, & good ones for the right owners.

That's why we must do everything we can BEFORE such laws are passed, whenever possible. Make those calls & write those letters to your representatives. And change minds whenever you can to give reptiles & reptile-keepers a positive image. And for heavens sake, support USARK! None of us can do this alone- we need to stand together.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-25-2022 at 02:28 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (12-25-2022)

Thanks
    A world-renowned locality boa breeder was put out of business because of local laws.
    No group was able to do anything.

Vote wisely.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to bns For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bns View Post
    A world-renowned locality boa breeder was put out of business because of local laws.
    No group was able to do anything.

Vote wisely.
    It's hard to comment without knowing specifics- were there local laws in place before his business got going? (ie. Did he start off in violation or did they pass laws just to put him out of business?)

Anyway "forewarned is forearmed" as they say. "Vote wisely" for sure, & be skeptical too, since some politicians just tell everyone what they want to hear in order to get voted in. So dig deep.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (12-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Without giving this a ton of thought, my knee jerk reaction is that I would quietly disobey. In my scenario, keeping Children's pythons would become illegal. It is simply inconceivable to me that the penalty would be very great or enforcement vigorous.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Without giving this a ton of thought, my knee jerk reaction is that I would quietly disobey. In my scenario, keeping Children's pythons would become illegal. It is simply inconceivable to me that the penalty would be very great or enforcement vigorous.
    To you & I, it seems ridiculous that anything like a pet Childrens python could be seen as a threat, but there are plenty of snake-haters that cover their ears & fail to learn, much less acknowledge, the wide differences among pythons- to them, they're all gigantic man-eaters.

If your snake was illegal & discovered, the worst penalty is that it could be taken away & possibly killed intentionally, or injured just by the process. Monetary fines would be the least issue IMO- other legal consequences would come in 2nd.

I don't know if authorities are any better at snake confiscations now than they were years ago (& I'm sure it varies widely by locations, personnel training & their attitudes) but I can remember reading about F & G agents being clueless when measuring snakes they confiscated, to the extent that they caused inadvertent internal injuries & deaths due to the snakes being forcibly stretched to be measured for their reports and charges filed. (The longer the snakes were, the more of a threat they seemed to be & the better their report & charges filed.) "Oops"? Not to mention that when snakes are confiscated, even IF they're legally returned to the owner once laws are sorted out, they are often held in poor conditions (improper temperatures etc) so when/if they're returned, they're sick or injured. Just saying...take it seriously.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

So much for knee jerk reactions. It occurred to me after I posted that my pet is registered, so quiet disobedience probably wouldn't work. They know what I keep and they have my address. I suppose, in that case, I'd rehome him.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-25-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast