Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,786

0 members and 2,786 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Exclamation Request HELP: Haven't been on in a while.

We now have several snakes. Got a pretty good snake rack. Some 3k worth of a rack system. About 12 snakes. We have a ve300x2 thermostat. The issue we face is the set point alarm keeps going off.
    We have moved the probe in different areas and into a tray that is not in use and moved it under the substrate. The alarm still seems to go off.
    I took a laser thermometer gun and verified all trays are around the same temperature.
    We only use a 6 degree night drop to try and combat the alarm. I could possibly shut it off, but I don't want to risk losing any snakes.
    I even tried to plug up the other probe and the buzzer still goes off randomly. I'm sure the ambient temperature in the room could be an issue, but I'm not 100% on that.
    Any help?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Sounds like it's time for a new thermostat. Even brand new ones can malfunction.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Re: Request HELP: Haven't been on in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddurr92 View Post
    We now have several snakes. Got a pretty good snake rack. Some 3k worth of a rack system. About 12 snakes. We have a ve300x2 thermostat. The issue we face is the set point alarm keeps going off.
    We have moved the probe in different areas and into a tray that is not in use and moved it under the substrate. The alarm still seems to go off.
    I took a laser thermometer gun and verified all trays are around the same temperature.
    We only use a 6 degree night drop to try and combat the alarm. I could possibly shut it off, but I don't want to risk losing any snakes.
    I even tried to plug up the other probe and the buzzer still goes off randomly. I'm sure the ambient temperature in the room could be an issue, but I'm not 100% on that.
    Any help?
    Is the alarm going off because it's too hot or too cold? What's the alarm set to? "3k worth of rack system" sounds like you bought it from one of the big manufacturers, so what's the make and model? A ve300x2 has two probes. Where are you placing the other probe? Your temp gun verified that all the trays are around the same temperature. What temperature is that? You say the ambient temp could be an issue. What is the ambient temp?

Can't help you without the details. Might not be able to help you even with them, but I'll try.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-20-2022 at 02:21 PM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Re: Request HELP: Haven't been on in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Ddurr92 View Post
    Any help?

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

It has been a long time, but I recall having this issue with the same stat. I emailed Reptile Basics and can't completely remember the solution, but I did remedy the issue. From what I can recall, I maybe had too great of a temp change with the night drop. Or the alarm was set too far from the ambient temp.

I wish I could remember exactly what the situation was and I would be able to help you here and now.

Because I don't completely remember the issue and solution, I'd suggest sending a message to Reptile Basics. I believe Rich makes the VE Stats and somebody there should be able to help you.

Your stat is likely fine. I still have mine and it is working wonderfully.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/thermostats

This is the support page.

https://www.reptilebasics.com/contact-us-form
    Last edited by Gio; 12-20-2022 at 10:28 PM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2022),Homebody (12-20-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 412 Posts
    I agree that the probe is likely in the wrong place. Hard to say without the info that @Homebody requested, but it sounds like the probe is in the tub with the snake and that's not the right place for a couple reasons.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-20-2022),Homebody (12-20-2022)