Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,982

1 members and 2,981 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Rosy boa hasn’t pooped since feeding two weeks ago

Hey y’all, I’ve got a new rosy boa and I fed her for the first time two weeks ago but she still hasn’t pooped after that feeding. She pooped a few days after I first got her a month ago but hasn’t since then. Do you think she might be constipated and if so should I give her a soak? I know boas have slower metabolisms so I wanted to check, I mainly just want to know if it’s ok to feed her again without her having pooped. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    No, leave her alone- digestion takes time. They go when they need to go. How old is she? or what size? Also keep in mind that young snakes are usually eating younger rodents too, that are more digestible- so again, less waste means they don't need to go every time they eat a meal. And many rosy boas are from desert or semi-desert regions- so it's in their best interest to conserve water- that's another reason for them not to "go" frequently. (What kind of rosy boa is yours?) Congrats on the new rosy- they're cool little snakes.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Re: Rosy boa hasn’t pooped since feeding two weeks ago

She’s four years old and just over two feet long. Non-locale specific, got her for a pet and education animal, not a breeder. Thanks for the advice, I was pretty sure I should just leave her, but I’m still not clear on if I should feed her again. I was planning to feed her again after two weeks. I love her already, most docile snake I’ve ever had.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugs_and_Herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bugs_and_Herps View Post
    She’s four years old and just over two feet long. Non-locale specific, got her for a pet and education animal, not a breeder. Thanks for the advice, I was pretty sure I should just leave her, but I’m still not clear on if I should feed her again. I was planning to feed her again after two weeks. I love her already, most docile snake I’ve ever had.
    I'd go ahead & feed her on schedule- snakes do not always defecate once for every meal they eat- like I said, they conserve water & nutrients this way.

Keep a mental note though of the last time she defecated- it's unlikely that she's "constipated" but I'm not seeing her either, so I can't totally rule it out. If you see her looking bloated (what some call "sausage butt") or if you feel one or more hard lumps just above her cloaca, by all means bring that to our attention. Snakes can become blocked up for various reasons, including dehydration & being too cold to digest, or from swallowing a significant amount of undigestible debris, or from the formation of urate "stones" (just above the cloaca- they feel a bit like marbles & can even be too large for the snake to pass without medical help.) But MOST likely, your snake is just fine. Wait & see.

I have a rosy boa too, by the way. "Bonita" is about 20 years old now- she's the last one of the ones I kept, out of the nearly-50 rosy boas that I produced years ago. I had kept the adult breeders too, of course, but they've all passed on- they were all adults when turned over to me, so they were all up in years. Bonita's mom was about 26 years old when she passed of old age. Bonita is a desert intergrade- her folks were local w/c (but not by me) & then unwanted.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-19-2022 at 07:36 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Bugs_and_Herps (12-19-2022),Homebody (12-19-2022)

Thanks

Thanks, I’ll feed her tonight then! She’s not bloated but once I can handle her again I’ll check for hard spots. I appreciate the help, and Bonita sounds lovely. I gave my Salchicha a Spanish name as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bugs_and_Herps For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-19-2022)