Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,022

2 members and 3,020 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma

Thread: What Happened?

Thanks

What Happened?

been curious about this and wanted to ask and talk about my experiences but basically i started this snake keeping journey by sourcing a pure Colombian red tail boa that was 100% normal/wild type because at the time it was v important to get what i had in my mind as being the purest representation of the wild animal as possible because i’ve always greatly admired them and the natural locales they’re indigenous too

what i have noticed tho is that finding a pure locality Colombian red tail was actually way harder than i had originally thought it would be and i had to really do a lot of homework to make sure that the specimens i got were 100% pure locality, that any morph genes could be traced back to Colombia and not some outside source, etc - my female isn’t het for anything just as normal as normal can be and i got the albino specifically because in my research i saw that the Kahl line can be traced back to a couple of breeding pairs straight from Colombia

so i guess my question would be what happened? because i always thought that Colombian red tails and Emerald Tree boas from an outsider perspective in arachnid keeping we’re always like the standard pet snakes along with ball pythons but now that i’m actually in the hobby that doesn’t seem to be true and it seems a lot harder to get Colombians comparative to all the other localities like Peru, Nicaragua, Sonoran Desert, Hog Island, Argentina, etc - any particular reason? or did i just pop up at the wrong time perhaps?
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: What Happened?

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    i always thought that Colombian red tails and Emerald Tree boas from an outsider perspective in arachnid keeping we’re always like the standard pet snakes along with ball pythons but now that i’m actually in the hobby that doesn’t seem to be true and it seems a lot harder to get Colombians comparative to all the other localities like Peru, Nicaragua, Sonoran Desert, Hog Island, Argentina, etc - any particular reason?
    They're out of fashion?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    They're out of fashion?
    could be but shouldn’t be! lol i was also thinking maybe they suffered from the same thing as the Chilean Rose Hair - when i first started keeping tarantulas 1 of the main species you could always find all over the place was Chilean Rose-Hairs (G. rosea) and the 1 i had for almost 15 years only cost like $12 usd when i originally bought her but because Chile cracked down on imports and because it was easier to import than breed them and there wasn’t a lot of breeding lines established the hobby suffered and now you can barely even find them and even if you do find them, they’re v expensive - the last time i saw 1 for example was $120 usd or more

or i was thinking maybe a little bit of the above but with Burms - it seems because of import crack downs, unfair anti-snake laws in the US, and the drive to produce new morphs all original locality info on Burms seems lost - i’ve looked and looked and looked and i have yet to see any pure locality Burm and when i got mine i asked and asked and couldn’t get any info on this - just generic/genetic info
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 12-07-2022 at 11:43 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    There are many "captive bred" BCs imported from range countries into the US each year (Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia). The hard part would be to figure out which wholesaler imported from which country.

Not sure you want to get involved with animals of that origin, though -- you'd need a good vet on your side.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2022),Homebody (12-08-2022),YungRasputin (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    There are many "captive bred" BCs imported from range countries into the US each year (Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Colombia). The hard part would be to figure out which wholesaler imported from which country.

Not sure you want to get involved with animals of that origin, though -- you'd need a good vet on your side.
    well personally i prefer and have stuck with CBB specimens mainly because of the potential medical issues you’ve mentioned but also, i have heard from older breeders that getting imported pairs can be a bit of crap shoot insomuch as they might breed once in the first 6 months you get them and that clutch (or in this case litter tho the people i am thinking of were talking about retic imports) may be viable but past that it’s in the air so when i was piecing together my collection my main thing was finding different breeders for each specimen and also making sure they were CBB

the only species i think i would sway on that with would be Cuban boas just simply because they’re too amazing not to grab if seen (who wouldn’t want giant cave raptors) or Indian rocks (if they ever came back into the hobby) but realistically i am not looking to expand any time soon this thread is mainly just intellectual curiosity
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 12-08-2022 at 10:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,195 Times in 2,638 Posts
    What happened? Morphs happened and got crossed to everything with a cloaca. Few kept things pure and once things get outcrossed you can’t turn them back into pure locality animals…

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jmcrook For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2022),Gio (12-08-2022),GoingPostal (12-08-2022),Homebody (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    the only species i think i would sway on that with would be Cuban boas just simply because they’re too amazing not to grab if seen (who wouldn’t want giant cave raptors)
    Cuban boas aren't legally available as WC, so far as I know. They haven't been legally exported for commercial use for 25 years.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2022),Homebody (12-08-2022),YungRasputin (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrook View Post
    What happened? Morphs happened and got crossed to everything with a cloaca. Few kept things pure and once things get outcrossed you can’t turn them back into pure locality animals…
    Exactly! It is sad but true.

However if you know where to look, you can find pure Colombian boas without too much effort.

A fairly well known locale would be the Barranquilla locality boas.

Brian Boas has a pair that I imagine he'll breed down the road.

Anybody that has stock originating from Rio Bravo Reptiles (Gus Rentfro) will likely have the Barranquilla locale if they wanted a Colombian boa. I have a male from this locale.

I'm fairly certain Vin Russo has knowledge of the pure specimens here.

Tommy Carpenter at TC Reptile has multiple locality projects including Barranquilla's.

This is the reason why some people are not fans of tampering with pure locality stock.

It can end about any locality if people don't take an interest in keeping the lines pure.

When importing certain animals is no longer legal, what is here is what we are left with.

The term "common boa" used to be the descriptor line for Colombian boas. I'd say now "common" can be used the say as "mix of I have no idea".

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2022),GoingPostal (12-08-2022),Homebody (12-08-2022),jmcrook (12-08-2022),YungRasputin (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Exactly! It is sad but true.

However if you know where to look, you can find pure Colombian boas without too much effort.

A fairly well known locale would be the Barranquilla locality boas.

Brian Boas has a pair that I imagine he'll breed down the road.

Anybody that has stock originating from Rio Bravo Reptiles (Gus Rentfro) will likely have the Barranquilla locale if they wanted a Colombian boa. I have a male from this locale.

I'm fairly certain Vin Russo has knowledge of the pure specimens here.

Tommy Carpenter at TC Reptile has multiple locality projects including Barranquilla's.

This is the reason why some people are not fans of tampering with pure locality stock.

It can end about any locality if people don't take an interest in keeping the lines pure.

When importing certain animals is no longer legal, what is here is what we are left with.

The term "common boa" used to be the descriptor line for Colombian boas. I'd say now "common" can be used the say as "mix of I have no idea".
    if i could i would like this post 3 times lol lots of good info and leads here, many thanks! that’s exactly what i would like to get into in the future is not just maintaining the purity of my Colombians now but also getting into that specific cities, principalities, regions, etc within Colombia as well

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Barranquilla is the only pure Colombian locality I ever see besides WC imports. The bloodline I see most frequently is the Rio Bravo mentioned above. This is the line Vin Russo at Cutting Edge Herps has and where I sourced my 2021 pair. Michael Beach at Woodcliff Herps also has very nice, yearly litters of this line and I think he supplied the ones to Brian Boas.

Daniel Palenque at Animalia has some very interesting Barranquilla color variants like charcoal, purple, and red.

My speculation is that Colombia localities aren't more popular because the generic "Colombian Boa" label gets slapped on any boa with an unknown heritage. This probably makes it hard for dealers to charge a premium or market a 100% pure Colombian Boa.

If you do the FB thing, there's a small group called Pure Colombian Boa Imperator you may be interested in.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nick_MD For This Useful Post:

bcr229 (01-12-2023),Bogertophis (01-12-2023),Gio (01-12-2023),Homebody (01-12-2023),jmcrook (01-12-2023),YungRasputin (01-13-2023)