Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,756

1 members and 2,755 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Registered User SapphicSerpents's Avatar
    Thanks

Question Nose rub on a new BP

Hello! I have a few snakes and recently added some ball pythons to our home. While I have some experience, it has been some time since I worked with these lovely creatures and is my first foray into owning my own, a long time dream come true.

One of my new additions, a female super mojave we have named Ranier, arrived to us with a raw patch on her nose. It appeared mostly healed so we kept an eye but she went into shed immediately and it looked much worse after. Due to the proximity to her mouth, tongue, and heat pits, I am a little hesitant on how I might be able to assist her and would welcome any advice.

Upon arrival:

~ 1 week after shed:

She lives in a rack setup identical to our other BPs. Her water crock and hides were triple checked for no rough edges before she arrived but I'd be happy to provide any images that may help.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SapphicSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-07-2022),Homebody (12-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    While it might have happened during shipping, I'd first be talking to the source I bought the snake from. And you did say it appeared mostly healed, which suggests it happened well before the animal was shipped & therefore should have been disclosed by the seller. It's pretty hard to miss such damage on a snake that one handles to ship, especially when it's right on their nose. The snake probably rubbed her nose trying to escape.

As far as what you can do (other than returning the snake or other adjustment with the source), if it looks bad enough, a vet visit might be in order, but for most superficial scrapes, I'd suggest Vetericyn ointment for reptiles- it's water-based (unlike topical ointments made for humans that can really mess with a snake's skin & future sheds, & those with "pain relief" are toxic to them as well), OR, you can use Betadine (povidone-iodine) diluted to resemble weak tea, which can be dabbed on several times a day with a Q-tip while it heals up.

Snakes with injuries- even minor ones- can be expected to shed more frequently- that's how they make repairs, rather than just to that specific area the way we do. And unfortunately, every time they shed, it can make the injury look worse for a while when the old "scab" gets torn away- so be very patient. Wound healing for a snake is sorta like "2 steps forward & 1 step back"- it can take a while.

This doesn't look too bad but it might also impact the snake's willingness to eat for a while- though if you just got the snake, it's best to wait a week or 2 anyway before offering. Also, the extra handling to medicate the snake may impact the snake's appetite. Long term, the snake might have a minor scar from this, but being a white snake, scars on snakes are usually whitish or faintly pink so that should be the least of your worries.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 12-07-2022 at 05:20 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Crowfingers (12-07-2022),Homebody (12-07-2022),SapphicSerpents (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Re: Nose rub on a new BP

Thank you for the reply! We love her personality so we don't intend to return her to the seller though we are trying to get a history on the injury. I deeply appreciate your recommendation on product, that had been my hesitation. Thank you!

Thanks
    BTW, in that second photo, is that a loose tooth hanging on her lower jaw? Or just debris? Probably gone by now anyway, whatever it was. She looks like a sweetheart- I'm glad you're fully committed to her.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-08-2022),SapphicSerpents (12-08-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    BTW, in that second photo, is that a loose tooth hanging on her lower jaw? Or just debris? Probably gone by now anyway, whatever it was. She looks like a sweetheart- I'm glad you're fully committed to her.
    Just a piece of aspen, I noticed it when I took and reviewed the photo but she was done sitting still for pictures and it showed what was needed. She only really cooperates for photos showing her face straight out of the tub, after that she either cuddles up or looks for adventures.
    Last edited by SapphicSerpents; 12-08-2022 at 06:20 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to SapphicSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-08-2022)

Thanks
    Yeah, snakes aren't usually cooperative "models"- You did well, all things considered.

Thanks

Just in case anyone comes across this later, Veterycin spray for reptiles did the trick! Ranier kept slamming food the whole time and two sheds later her nose was beautiful as can be! No new rubs or concerns, she's thriving.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SapphicSerpents For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (04-13-2023),Homebody (04-16-2023),Malum Argenteum (04-13-2023)