Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,059

1 members and 3,058 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Predicament

Hybrid View

Thanks

Predicament

Hi All,

So I've got a new tank for our BP and I know i need to monitor temp and humidity for him, so he can reside in a nice environemt. Here's the but....I live in Indonesia (central Java (near enough)) and the people I have spoken with here have said there is no need to buy any such equipment because on the environment here already, humid and warm all the time. However, I have noticed the tankhe's in now can go from 27c to 30c through the day but I am unsure of night times....I magine they drop to about 25c. I have no clue about humidity ( saying that, I do as a human though). I have noticed since taking ownership of Felix since June he has only shred 2 skins, in 6 months. I have read elsewhere they shed about once every 4/6 weeks when young'uns. So my thinking is I should get a hygrometer to monitor and help improve the humidity situation....Not sure about the temperature one yet, as I think he may need a heat pad and possibly a cool tile to lay on.

Does anybody know if the monitoring of his environment is required here in Indo?

Shall look forward to any response +/-

Iain

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Predicament

Quote Originally Posted by BallpythIndo View Post
    Does anybody know if the monitoring of his environment is required here in Indo?
    Yes. You need to monitor his environment. You created his environment, so you have the obligation to ensure that it meets his needs. Without monitoring it, you can't know that. Now, I agree that maintaining temps and humidity where you are will undoubtedly be easier than doing so in a cooler, dryer climate, but you still have to do it.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-07-2022 at 10:09 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BallpythIndo (12-07-2022),Bogertophis (12-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Yes. You need to monitor his environment. You created his environment, so you have the obligation to ensure that it meets his needs. Without monitoring it, you can't know that. Now, I agree that maintaining temps and humidity where you are will undoubtedly be easier than doing so in a cooler, dryer climate, but you still have to do it.
    I had a sneaky feeling this was going to be the response about measuring temp/humidity.....So I shall get a piece of kit to do this!

Thanks

I had a sneaky feeling this was going to be the response about measuring temp/humidity.....So I shall get a piece of kit to do this!
    I don't know what a "piece of kit" is, but a thermometer/hydrometer and a heat gun would do the trick.

Thanks

I don't know what a "piece of kit" is, but a thermometer/hydrometer and a heat gun would do the trick.

In simple terms, it would be a piece of equipment to measure temperature and humidity....apologies about my English, in my old work we used to call everything a 'piece of kit'; if you knew what you needed to measure or do, you'd go and get the 'piece of kit'. In this case, my piece of kit would be a thermometer/hygrometer. I don't think a hydrometer would really be useful for my tank.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BallpythIndo For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-09-2022),Homebody (12-08-2022)

Thanks

In simple terms, it would be a piece of equipment to measure temperature and humidity....apologies about my English, in my old work we used to call everything a 'piece of kit'; if you knew what you needed to measure or do, you'd go and get the 'piece of kit'. In this case, my piece of kit would be a thermometer/hygrometer. I don't think a hydrometer would really be useful for my tank.
    I use a Accurite thermometer/hydrometer and a Etekcity temperature gun. If they're not available in Indonesia, I'm sure that something equivalent is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BallpythIndo (12-09-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    While proper humidity can make sheds easier for a snake, the humidity has nothing to do with the rate of their growth, which is evidenced by sheds. Do you know the true age of your BP? The infrequent sheds by your snake most likely are the result of you not feeding him enough. A snake that isn't shedding is also not growing. How often are you feeding him? What size prey are you feeding him? What does he weigh? & what is the average weight* of his prey? (*Terms to describe the size of prey often varies & are unreliable.)

Since we're not seeing either your snake or the prey he's eating, photos showing them both could also help, along with something for size reference. You could trace the outline of the rodent (to show the size) & put your snake next to that diagram, rather than expecting your snake to lie there next to a rodent for a photo shoot. Most hatchling or neonate snakes are feed weekly, on appropriately-sized prey, but as the size (& maturity) of prey they consume increases, they need a little more time to digest it, so the time between feedings gradually increases also. Many BPs are started (as hatchlings) on "hopper" mice. Since your snake is at least 6 mos. old, he should be eating nothing smaller than hopper mice at this time.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

BallpythIndo (12-07-2022),Homebody (12-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Do you know the true age of your BP? The infrequent sheds by your snake most likely are the result of you not feeding him enough. A snake that isn't shedding is also not growing. How often are you feeding him? What size prey are you feeding him? What does he weigh? & what is the average weight* of his prey?
    Hi,

There was a sticker on the original tank we bought him i and it stated 10th Jan 2022 (guessing he's about 11 months) so I can only go by this. Since we've bought him, we have fed him every 7 - 10 days, with a rat at approx 25-30gr. Once he went for about 1.5 weeks without food but other than this we've fed him all the time. Last measure he was 90cm and weighed 65gr. We only fed him yesterday so I am leaving him to digest before I disturb him, shall re-weigh and measure him on Saturday.

Thanks

I have noticed since taking ownership of Felix since June he has only shred 2 skins, in 6 months. I have read elsewhere they shed about once every 4/6 weeks when young'uns.
    At 11 months, Felix may no longer qualify as a young'un.

As long as you're feeding him appropriately, I wouldn't worry about the frequency of his sheds.
    Last edited by Homebody; 12-07-2022 at 11:48 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

BallpythIndo (12-07-2022),Bogertophis (12-07-2022)

Thanks

At 11 months, Felix may no longer qualify as a young'un.

Very true, not a young'un anymore but......I still call my 2 yr old child a baby

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast