Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,770

4 members and 2,766 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
    Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

"Reptile Goody Bag" Content Ideas

So for Christmas I plan on giving my boyfriend a "reptile goody bag/basket" with some basic supplies and maybe a few fun gifts. He currently owns two whites tree frogs, a juvenile American toad, a cane toad, a pacman frog, a ball python, and a Vietnamese centipede. So far, I have picked up the Repashy Supervite w/ retinol and beta carotene and Repashy Supercal LoD. I'm thinking about including a substrate mix that I use, a few climbing vines/branches, and maybe a heat mat or a CHE to help keep his more tropical species warm this winter. Any other ideas?
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 1,177 Posts

Re: "Reptile Goody Bag" Content Ideas

I hear good things about these Magnaturals products.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (12-05-2022),Bogertophis (12-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I hear good things about these Magnaturals products.
    Those are a little out of my price range for the gift set as a whole, but his birthday isn't too far away so those might be a good idea for the future.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Those are a little out of my price range for the gift set as a whole, but his birthday isn't too far away so those might be a good idea for the future.
    Next time you're over there, snap a pic of his ball python enclosure and post it. It'll help me to know what he already has. I don't know if snapping pics of his other enclosures will help me much. I'm not familiar enough with the other critters care to give suggestions.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (12-05-2022),Bogertophis (12-05-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 414 Posts
    -- Books. I don't have any recommendations for frog books that seem to fit your BF's interests, but if he is into snakes as the BP suggests, here are a couple to consider:

Snakes: the Evolution of Mystery in Nature (https://amazon.com/Snakes-Evolution-...0286476&sr=8-1) Expensive new, but we gift used books in good shape and a book lover knows that's cool. A wonderful book.

Boas and Pythons of the World (https://amazon.com/Boas-Pythons-Worl...s%2C103&sr=8-1) is a good one that is available new for a very reasonable price.

-- Gift cards for online supply retailers such as Pangea, or a local independent shop if you have one.

-- Day trip to a zoo that has a herp house.

-- A donation to Amphibicast with a request that Dan give a shout out to your BF on the air.

I'm not sure about the supplements you chose. They are not really suitable for amphibians either by themselves or mixed/alternated (the SV doesn't have enough calcium by itself, and mixed/alternated with the CaLoD will end up with a serious lack of Vitamin A for amphibians), and the BP doesn't need supplements. Perhaps you've researched this and know the situation -- I don't mean to come off as critical, but just thought it was worth a mention. The idea to gift supplements is a good one, as is the whole 'goody bag' idea.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (12-05-2022),Bogertophis (12-05-2022),Homebody (12-06-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    -- Books. I don't have any recommendations for frog books that seem to fit your BF's interests, but if he is into snakes as the BP suggests, here are a couple to consider:

Snakes: the Evolution of Mystery in Nature (https://amazon.com/Snakes-Evolution-...0286476&sr=8-1) Expensive new, but we gift used books in good shape and a book lover knows that's cool. A wonderful book.

Boas and Pythons of the World (https://amazon.com/Boas-Pythons-Worl...s%2C103&sr=8-1) is a good one that is available new for a very reasonable price.

-- Gift cards for online supply retailers such as Pangea, or a local independent shop if you have one.

-- Day trip to a zoo that has a herp house.

-- A donation to Amphibicast with a request that Dan give a shout out to your BF on the air.

I'm not sure about the supplements you chose. They are not really suitable for amphibians either by themselves or mixed/alternated (the SV doesn't have enough calcium by itself, and mixed/alternated with the CaLoD will end up with a serious lack of Vitamin A for amphibians), and the BP doesn't need supplements. Perhaps you've researched this and know the situation -- I don't mean to come off as critical, but just thought it was worth a mention. The idea to gift supplements is a good one, as is the whole 'goody bag' idea.
    The reason I chose the vitamins I did was because insectivores like frogs aren’t actually capable of processing carotenoids such as beta carotene like omnivores/herbivores can and they need retinol instead. Repashy seems to be the only brand that specifically has retinol advertised in their products which is great! Personally, I’ve been going back and forth between that and another retinol inclusive vitamin supplement Repashy sells. I like the calcium though because it has enough vitamin D for frogs but not a crazy amount so there’s no concern about giving them too much in their diet. The clinic I intern at mostly uses/sells their products so I may ask one of the doctors at the next staff meeting for their opinion. Luckily, I haven’t purchased anything yet so I’m still doing research to make sure I do what best. Thanks for the input!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-06-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Next time you're over there, snap a pic of his ball python enclosure and post it. It'll help me to know what he already has. I don't know if snapping pics of his other enclosures will help me much. I'm not familiar enough with the other critters care to give suggestions.
    I’ll try to remember next time I got to his apartment, but I’ll be the first to admit that there’s definitely some things lacking. In any other situation I would’ve told him not to take the snake it but it was either that or have the snake starve in its previous home. I plan on getting two more hides for him and maybe a fake plant or two. He doesn’t have a temp gun to check hotspots and stuff so I may actually get one for him too. Definitely makes things sooooo much easier.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-05-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    ...I’ll be the first to admit that there’s definitely some things lacking. In any other situation I would’ve told him not to take the snake it but it was either that or have the snake starve in its previous home. I plan on getting two more hides for him and maybe a fake plant or two. He doesn’t have a temp gun to check hotspots and stuff so I may actually get one for him too.
    Sounds like you already have some great gift ideas. It's pretty easy to fill a snake's shopping list. They don't need much.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (12-06-2022)

Thanks

So I ended up deciding to get this supplement instead of the original one. I still haven't purchased it so if anyone else has any input please let me know!

Edit: I might end up getting both of them. I just want to make sure his froggies are okay, I love those little guys!
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 12-07-2022 at 09:42 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 414 Posts
    Repashy Vitamin A is a 'PRN' sort of supplement, to be used once in a while to correct or avoid suspected deficiencies. Breeding frogs typically get it a couple times a month, although there is more evidence that it may be beneficial as an occasional supplement for all amphibians (which seem distinctly susceptible to Vitamin A deficiency).

So, yes, good one for an amphibian keeper.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (12-07-2022),Bogertophis (12-07-2022),Homebody (12-07-2022)