Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,484

0 members and 2,484 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,034
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jeremymichels

Thread: Off feeding.

Thanks

Off feeding.

Hi!

I know that ball pythons are notorious for off feeding seasonal times and searched bunch of reasons why they off feed like improper husbandry, temp etc. Im curious to know how would i know if they're hungry already after going off feed?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Off feeding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninaninanina View Post
    Im curious to know how would i know if they're hungry already after going off feed?
    I never knew when my BP was hungry. I just fed him on a schedule. If he ate, then he was hungry. If he didn't, he wasn't. I have heard others say that their BP will sit with its head poking out of its hide when it's hungry.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I never knew when my BP was hungry. I just fed him on a schedule. If he ate, then he was hungry. If he didn't, he wasn't. I have heard others say that their BP will sit with its head poking out of its hide when it's hungry.
    Same as mine. I was feeding him on a schedule but this time he refused to eat and i don't want to keep on offering cause he would develop a habit of refusal. He's inside his hide all the time as well not peeking.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 400 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I have heard others say that their BP will sit with its head poking out of its hide when it's hungry.
    This is what mine does (I only keep one BP). Other snake species give different clues, and it usually takes me quite a while to figure them out (if I ever do).

As you get to get to know your snake, Ninaninanina, you'll figure out what it is trying to tell you. With one skipped meal, the snake is likely simply not hungry. It may be a sign that you're just feeding a little more frequently than it prefers, and it is sitting one meal out. Perhaps the last meal was just a bit larger than normal. Perhaps it is beginning a shed cycle but this isn't visible yet.

I'm not sure that encouraging a 'habit of refusal' is a worry; snakes don't seem to me to have that sort of psychological capacity. A keeper could aggravate the snake by repeatedly harassing it with food, though, and that wouldn't be good.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    A keeper could aggravate the snake by repeatedly harassing it with food, though, and that wouldn't be good.
    To be clear, if my BP refused to eat, I wouldn't offer again until his next scheduled feeding a week or 10 days later. An otherwise healthy BP can skip a meal or two or four. My BP never went on long fasts, but he regularly went on short ones.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2022),Malum Argenteum (12-03-2022)

Thanks

He's inside his hide all the time as well not peeking.
    I know it can be frustrating when you're BP doesn't want to interact, but, when he's like that, it's best to leave him alone. He has his reasons.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Hi!

I know that ball pythons are notorious for off feeding seasonal times and searched bunch of reasons why they off feed like improper husbandry, temp etc. Im curious to know how would i know if they're hungry already after going off feed?
    I’ve sent you the hairdryer feeding method by pm/dm

Also I used to feed every 7 days but found that every 10 days was far better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-03-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

As you get to get to know your snake, Ninaninanina, you'll figure out what it is trying to tell you. With one skipped meal, the snake is likely simply not hungry. It may be a sign that you're just feeding a little more frequently than it prefers, and it is sitting one meal out. Perhaps the last meal was just a bit larger than normal. Perhaps it is beginning a shed cycle but this isn't visible yet.

I'm not sure that encouraging a 'habit of refusal' is a worry; snakes don't seem to me to have that sort of psychological capacity. A keeper could aggravate the snake by repeatedly harassing it with food, though, and that wouldn't be good.
    You're right the last prey was a bit big so i've tried reducing the size to a much smaller rodent and he ate. It. About the refusal habit, I just saw it on youtube from Kinova. Still trial and error for me since i'm learning more about my BP

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    I’ve sent you the hairdryer feeding method by pm/dm

Also I used to feed every 7 days but found that every 10 days was far better .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Thank you for the tip. He finally ate. I've just tried reducing to a very much smaller prey.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ninaninanina For This Useful Post:

Homebody (12-07-2022),Zincubus (12-07-2022)