Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,030

0 members and 3,030 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Anybody used the Inkbird IPT-2CH?

I was going to pickup a IPT-308 with Wifi control but I found the IPT-2CH which seems to be labeled as a "wifi reptile heat mat thermostat." It looks older in design than the 308 but seems to be newer based on availability/release. The functionality seems to be about the same with the exception that the IPT-2CH has two outlets designed for a heating element to be hooked up to with two separate probes rather than a single probe with one outlet for heating and one for cooling. I know Herpstat is well loved here but I'm looking for something more basic like this. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,152 Times in 1,164 Posts

Re: Anybody used the Inkbird IPT-2CH?

I've never used Inkbirds. I've used the similarly low-end Jumpstarts for the few years I've been keeping snakes and they've worked fine for me.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

Thanks

Have two of them and found it very difficult to get them connected to wifi, after that have up and haven’t really tried again since then.

That being said, they do a decent job as thermostats without the wifi.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mother_ofsnakes For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mother_ofsnakes View Post
    Have two of them and found it very difficult to get them connected to wifi, after that have up and haven’t really tried again since then.

That being said, they do a decent job as thermostats without the wifi.
    How long have you been using them? My biggest concern with using the low-end thermostats is that they will fail.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    Amazon reviews are interesting. Here are the highlights from only the first 20 reviews out of 90 total reviews (organized on Amazon by "helpful" votes):

"Once I got the thermostat set up I encountered another problem. The app is not very user friendly. For some reason it keeps refreshing the information I’ve entered. For example I have the high temperature alarm set the be at 95F, but it keeps restarting and setting itself at the highest possible value (122F I believe). This is, needless to say, dangerous. I would prefer to be be notified if my snake was cooking alive."

"bought this a few months ago for my snake and it’s starting to get flaky. i really like how i’m able to control temperatures when i’m not at home but lately it’s sometimes refusing to turn on my heat emitters despite saying so on the app. i don’t know what happened, it works again for a while if i unplug them and plug it back in but the problem has come back multiple times. perhaps it’s a connection issue? either way, it’s proven to be kind of unreliable after a few months "

" A few times when I was messing around with the temperature the app would delete my previous temp settings. Then they would appear a few minutes later. Or, I just re-entered."

"Almost had it 6 months and one side stopped working. I’d unplug and plug it back in and it would work for about 2 hours. "

"After a week one side did not work so i had to unlpug that side for a bit. Plugged it back in last week and its working again, not sure what happened."

I didn't quote a couple negative comments that were probably due to user error.

I use a couple Inkbird ITC-306T on my QT aquariums (for fish). I've used them for less than a year, so can't say much about reliability (aquarium heating is currently a far worse situation than reptile heating, technology-wise). They're not simple to program, so not 'basic' in every sense. They're also landfill when they fail (Herpstats are repairable, and have excellent tech support).

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2022),Homebody (11-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    How long have you been using them? My biggest concern with using the low-end thermostats is that they will fail.
    I have had them for about 4 months now so can’t really comment on the longevity.

I have two units on one rack in my snake closet. The temps in there don’t fluctuate much and I also alternated levels so if one goes out there will be heat above or below.

if they both go out I will have issues, but ambient temperature in the house is usually around 70 so should be ok for a bit until they can be replaced.

What are the ambient temperatures where you would be using them?
    Last edited by Mother_ofsnakes; 11-26-2022 at 12:31 PM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mother_ofsnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2022),Homebody (11-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Amazon reviews are interesting. Here are the highlights from only the first 20 reviews out of 90 total reviews (organized on Amazon by "helpful" votes):

"Once I got the thermostat set up I encountered another problem. The app is not very user friendly. For some reason it keeps refreshing the information I’ve entered. For example I have the high temperature alarm set the be at 95F, but it keeps restarting and setting itself at the highest possible value (122F I believe). This is, needless to say, dangerous. I would prefer to be be notified if my snake was cooking alive."

"bought this a few months ago for my snake and it’s starting to get flaky. i really like how i’m able to control temperatures when i’m not at home but lately it’s sometimes refusing to turn on my heat emitters despite saying so on the app. i don’t know what happened, it works again for a while if i unplug them and plug it back in but the problem has come back multiple times. perhaps it’s a connection issue? either way, it’s proven to be kind of unreliable after a few months "

" A few times when I was messing around with the temperature the app would delete my previous temp settings. Then they would appear a few minutes later. Or, I just re-entered."

"Almost had it 6 months and one side stopped working. I’d unplug and plug it back in and it would work for about 2 hours. "

"After a week one side did not work so i had to unlpug that side for a bit. Plugged it back in last week and its working again, not sure what happened."

I didn't quote a couple negative comments that were probably due to user error.

I use a couple Inkbird ITC-306T on my QT aquariums (for fish). I've used them for less than a year, so can't say much about reliability (aquarium heating is currently a far worse situation than reptile heating, technology-wise). They're not simple to program, so not 'basic' in every sense. They're also landfill when they fail (Herpstats are repairable, and have excellent tech support).
    Were you able to set up and reliably use the app? I was never able to even pair mine.
    Last edited by Mother_ofsnakes; 11-26-2022 at 12:29 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mother_ofsnakes For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2022)

Thanks

I have two units on one rack in my snake closet. The temps in there don’t fluctuate much and I also alternated levels so if one goes out there will be heat above or below.

if they both go out I will have issues, but ambient temperature in the house is usually around 70 so should be ok for a bit until they can be replaced.

What are the ambient temperatures where you would be using them?
    My concern with failure isn't that my snake would lose heat but that an unregulated heat source would become dangerously hot.

I'll let Ambassador respond regarding ambient temps since Ambassador is the one considering this Inkbird.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    My concern with failure isn't that my snake would lose heat but that an unregulated heat source would become dangerously hot...
    That's exactly right- excessive heat kills or permanently injures more snakes than cold does.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts

Were you able to set up and reliably use the app? I was never able to even pair mine.
    The ITC-306T is not wireless in any way, and so doesn't have an app.

A little tangential, but Neptune Systems needs to make a reptile controller. Their Apex aquarium controllers are solid, and they already have a great web-based interface they could adapt for herp needs (which are a lot more basic than aquarium parameters). Digital Aquatics (out of business in 2018) used to make a "Herpkeeper" model, but the company itself fell behind in too many areas and closed up shop.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

GoingPostal (11-27-2022),Homebody (11-26-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast