Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,992

2 members and 2,990 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Pied morph greying chin

Not sure where to post this. I figured genetics was the best place. I thought there was something wrong with my male pin pied a few weeks ago. Because he had a discolored chin. But I did a ton of research and no disease or anything gave me any answers. Then I came across a few discussions that talked about the pied morph greying under their chins . I have never heard anyone I watch in the reptile world talk about it before. But the photos that I saw in the discussion about it look exactly like my pied chin. He just shed and now the entire chin is grey. Lol! I never knew this and am obviously relieved but also curious to know if any other morphs have funny quirks like that? Does it darken depending on what morphs are mixed? Will it get darker as he ages? Just wondering. I have heard of fading colors, but never darkening ones, especially on a certain area of the body. Was also curious if anyone on here has any pics of their pied before and after.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (01-04-2023),Homebody (01-05-2023),Ronniex2 (11-06-2023)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Some pied will actually gain black freckles or spots as they get older. they haven't really isolated the 'dalmation-like' gene that could be causing it though. It could just be something random in Pied genetics.
    My pied is a very high white, she only has color on her head, but after a year, she's got a few more scales around the edge of her marking that have also grown darker. No other spots or anything though.

Bananas/coral glows get the freckles as they get older.

I honestly can't think of too many that are noticeable like that and I don't know what will happen with the colors on yours.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Alicia (01-07-2023),Bogertophis (01-05-2023),Homebody (01-05-2023),JJpeep (01-05-2023)

Thanks

Re: Pied morph greying chin

Thanks for the reply. I was just wanted to touch on it. The things that I actually found on it brought me back to this website, so it isn't talked about as much as the freckling on the banana/coral glow. I hear about that one a lot. Never heard of the pied darkening until mine started getting it. Last posts I saw dated back to 2012 and one from 2016. I figured I would bring it up again because I didn't see any sticky notes about it. I have noticed something in common when I was reading, everyone got scared cuz they thought something was wrong lol. I think with freckles, it looks like color that it isn't so concerning. With the chin greying, it looks like they are retaining fluid or something, it is such a strange color. After mines last shed it changed from that really weird translucent grey/lavender to a light brownish. I do have to add that he has been acting and eating normally too. Just Incase someone sees this and it is a different issue all together. For mine it was just a color change. He is a pin pied too. So I was wondering if the pin gene can make things go darker as well. I would also like to add I saw quite a few responses, that spiders/bees etc can get a darkened chin as well. In case someone has that too. I just found that pretty interesting since I had just discovered this and it really scared me. I was thinking, "oh no, poor guy, are you sick?" And I am doing an examination and googling illnesses and everything. He had me stumped and he was looking at me like, "lady leave me alone.". Haha. Now I know why, he was just growing a beard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JJpeep For This Useful Post:

Homebody (01-05-2023)