Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 498

0 members and 498 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Any other tricks or tips to get hatchlings eating?

Had my first clutch shed out on 11/5/22. Some just took their second meal today. I have 2 that still not eaten. I know it's not crisis time yet where I need to assist feed. But just looking for tips to maybe help get them going.

And for reference I've tried rat fuzzy, mouse hopper, and a asf hopper/fuzzy

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RebelCue; 11-16-2022 at 02:09 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,895 Times in 2,991 Posts

Re: Any other tricks or tips to get hatchlings eating?

The ever fabulous hairdryer method has to be worth a try .

I’ll send you the details !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-16-2022),Bogertophis (11-16-2022),Homebody (11-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,730 Times in 11,794 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RebelCue View Post
    Had my first clutch shed out on 11/5/22. Some just took their second meal today. I have 2 that still not eaten. I know it's not crisis time yet where I need to assist feed. But just looking for tips to maybe help get them going.

And for reference I've tried rat fuzzy, mouse hopper, and a asf hopper/fuzzy

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Are you feeding live or f/t, or fresh-killed? at night, in dim light? not helicoptering? tried drop-feeding? tried leaving live crawlers in a shallow* bowl overnight (deep enough so they cannot crawl out & get lost in substrate)- many young snakes feel braver when slightly above their wiggling prey, & btw, when feeding live, the prey shouldn't be "too" active, & if f/t, don't get carried away w/ motion- a slight jiggle & moving AWAY from the snake, NOT approaching the snake (which wild rodents refrain from & which tends to scare some snakes).

Some snakes are pickier than others- things that don't bother some may bother the shyer ones, so re-evaluate what you're doing & may be doing wrong.
    If feeding f/t- warmth is essential & hairdryers are indeed handy.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-16-2022),Homebody (11-18-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    Are you feeding live or f/t, or fresh-killed? at night, in dim light? not helicoptering? tried drop-feeding? tried leaving live crawlers in a shallow* bowl overnight (deep enough so they cannot crawl out & get lost in substrate)- many young snakes feel braver when slightly above their wiggling prey, & btw, when feeding live, the prey shouldn't be "too" active, & if f/t, don't get carried away w/ motion- a slight jiggle & moving AWAY from the snake, NOT approaching the snake (which wild rodents refrain from & which tends to scare some snakes).

Some snakes are pickier than others- things that don't bother some may bother the shyer ones, so re-evaluate what you're doing & may be doing wrong.
    If feeding f/t- warmth is essential & hairdryers are indeed handy.
    I want to second all of this, and Zincubus.

Additionally, I missed if the babies have hides? Are they on paper towels, are particulate substrate like aspen or cypress? If most have eaten, I'll assume the temps are good, and the last two babies are just being stubborn.

How often are you offering? That variety, it sounds like a lot going on. Try dialing it back to once a week, if possible.

If it helps, I've been able to start the overwhelming majority of my hatchies on f/t hopper mice. I like feeding at night. No zombie dance for babies; I just place the warmed rodent into the tub (at the front of the tub, where I can see it quickly in the morning) as quietly as I can, close the tub, and leave the dead mouse and baby snake together in the dark over night. For me, after four missed feedings, which is four weeks after their first shed, I double-check temps. If temps are good - ~mid-upper 80s for babies - I switch my hold-outs to cypress. If they don't take in two more offerings, I offer live mice. Crawler mice are ideal for shy babies, because they're not not dangerous, and you can leave them in over night.

Assist feeding is reserved for the absolutely necessary. You're not there yet. Hopefully you won't be, and hopefully more folks will chime in

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alicia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-16-2022),Homebody (11-18-2022),Zincubus (11-17-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,864 Times in 1,497 Posts

First, relax. Two weeks after shed is no need to panic at all, even if others have taken a meal.

Second, stick with one item until they eat. I would recommend live mouse hoppers if you have access. If those seem to animated that they are spooking the baby, try getting a younger one that has its eyes open but is just kind of crawling around instead of jumping.

If you don't have live, then I would agree with Alicia to just place the prey item down in front of the baby, turn the lights off, and leave it for a couple hours. Try to keep the prey item on the smaller side until they are eating repeatedly. Only try feeding once a week and don't start to be too concerned until it has been 6 weeks after shed.

Best of luck

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rlditmars For This Useful Post:

Alicia (11-17-2022),Bogertophis (11-17-2022),Homebody (11-18-2022)