Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,898

2 members and 2,896 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Please help to identify the morph

Hi there!
    I've bought this noodle in a local pet store and the guy who sold it said that the morph is axanthic lesser.
    But I was googling this morph recently and noticed that they don't look alike.
    Can anyone tell me if it's really an axanthic lesser? And if not, what morph it could be?

For some reason I can't insert images (preview says "404 - image not found"), so I hope you don't mind links
    https://lipp.fi/static/images/8cb791...4feecc67a0.jpg
    https://lipp.fi/static/images/4473ee...7d7b3a45b5.jpg
    https://lipp.fi/static/images/cc8bfd...d6e2884509.jpg
    Last edited by filipp; 11-13-2022 at 06:54 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Definitely a spider morph
    The downside with axanthic is that it photographs in the WORST ways.... But it does almost appear to be one in these photos but I'm not 100% cause some of these also look very yellow which they shouldn't.
    I'm personally not seeing lesser

Spider does have some potential neurological issues you should be aware of called wobble.

Hopefully someone else chimes in on the genetics, but it looks like they maybe got it half right?

Also, if you do have any other reptiles, I definitely would quarantine this one away for at least 90 days to verify the health. I'm not sure if the photo with the racks of animals is your place or the pet store.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 11-13-2022 at 07:15 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

filipp (11-13-2022)

Thanks

Re: Please help to identify the morph

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    Definitely a spider morph
    The downside with axanthic is that it photographs in the WORST ways.... But it does almost appear to be one in these photos but I'm not 100% cause some of these also look very yellow which they shouldn't.
    I'm personally not seeing lesser

Spider does have some potential neurological issues you should be aware of called wobble.

Hopefully someone else chimes in on the genetics, but it looks like they maybe got it half right?

Also, if you do have any other reptiles, I definitely would quarantine this one away for at least 90 days to verify the health. I'm not sure if the photo with the racks of animals is your place or the pet store.
    The snake is yellow in real life

I had heard about it and even noticed slight wobble, but thought I was winding myself up because the Internet wrote that wobble is only a spider morph issue.

I don't have any other reptiles, this is the seller's photo.

Thanks a lot for your response!

By the way, I'm concerned about her size. This is a one year old female, she is shedding and eating well, but she only weighs 300 grams. Could there be any pitfalls here?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by filipp View Post
    The snake is yellow in real life

I had heard about it and even noticed slight wobble, but thought I was winding myself up because the Internet wrote that wobble is only a spider morph issue.

I don't have any other reptiles, this is the seller's photo.

Thanks a lot for your response!

By the way, I'm concerned about her size. This is a one year old female, she is shedding and eating well, but she only weighs 300 grams. Could there be any pitfalls here?
    There's several morphs with wobble. Woma, hidden gene woma, champagne and the supers of spotnose and sable are the other ones off the top of my head.

As for weight, she does look a little underweight just from the image, but honestly a LOT of captive BPs are grossly obese these days and people are so used to overly chunky snakes that anything slightly skinny looks abnormal.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-13-2022),Homebody (11-13-2022)

Thanks

Looks to me like a nice bumblebee or killer bee, so spider + either pastel or super pastel. Axanthic I can't tell but she does look awfully gray along the back.
    If the seller couldn't properly identify the morphs they may also be wrong about the age.
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 11-13-2022 at 03:36 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-13-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by filipp View Post

But as a spider morph, yeah, it was a good chance she could have a wobble while settling in. And as was mentioned, there's a whole spider complex of genes that can cause wobble. Spiders are just the one that people pile on the most.

Being a bright yellow, I would agree with the possible bumblebee (spider/pastel) morph... But again, axanthic tends to photograph terribly so without me seeing it in person it may be hard to tell on that.

I honestly don't think she looks that bad sizewise. She looks a bit more defensive, so if she's really trying to show off, sometimes the way they puff up can make them look underweight because of how the spine looks.
    She may have been a late start on feeding. I have a girl that has only gained 15 grams since July. And weighs in at around 40 right now. Another girl I picked up was a year old and weighed around 350. She was just on a maintenance diet with the breeder and not a growth focused one. So she ate about every 7-10 days.

I would consider getting the snake sexed as well since the morph wasn't clear, that may have been mislabeled as well...the size could also be an issue with her actually being a he. =\

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-13-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Looks to me like a nice bumblebee or killer bee, so spider + either pastel or super pastel. Axanthic I can't tell but she does look awfully gray along the back.
    If the seller couldn't properly identify the morphs they may also be wrong about the age.
    I agree, I think bumblebee, possibly vpi axanthic. Found this at morph market