Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,210

2 members and 3,208 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: reddish skin between scales

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Ordered some, thanks for the recommendation! Her skin is looking better but she seems unsettled. She's either in a hide she normally doesn't use, or half-in half-out of a hide, right now she's laying in the open between her hides .... she's also acting very defensive, I think she's either not feeling well or is mad at me for getting her out daily for betadine washes. Possibly both. Hopefully she can just hate me for awhile and get over it once she's better. I may skip a day tomorrow since she seemed very upset at me today.
    How are you "washing" her daily? I'd suggest you do NOT "bathe" her since this is a localized issue only- right? Dilute a little Betadine & use a Q-tip to apply it just to the affected area & a little beyond it. If you can do this without picking her up out of her home, so much the better. Try to keep treatments low-key with as little intrusion as possible, though if she's in a hide, you'll obviously have to pick up the hide temporarily.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (11-14-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    How are you "washing" her daily? I'd suggest you do NOT "bathe" her since this is a localized issue only- right? Dilute a little Betadine & use a Q-tip to apply it just to the affected area & a little beyond it. If you can do this without picking her up out of her home, so much the better. Try to keep treatments low-key with as little intrusion as possible, though if she's in a hide, you'll obviously have to pick up the hide temporarily.
    Definitely not bathing! I take a folded paper towel and dip it in then wipe the area. I've just been too blas'e about overhandling her I think, because she normally has a very easygoing personality.
    I do appreciate that even though they aren't social animals, snakes will try to communicate with us before actually biting, even if the communication is "hey, get away from me!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-14-2022)

Thanks

Happy to say this girl is back to her friendly self. I guess it didn't show up in pictures but it originally looked like her scales were pushed a little apart, and the skin underneath was dark pink/red. That spot looks back to normal now. I overstressed her messing with it but once we got on a schedule of clean with a wipe, put her back quickly, leave her alone for 2 days, she calmed down. Only thing she's still doing now is spending a lot of time in her cool hide. Maybe the lower temperatures were soothing to the irritated spot.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (11-27-2022),Bogertophis (11-26-2022),dakski (11-27-2022),Homebody (11-26-2022)

Thanks

Exclamation Re: reddish skin between scales

For those curious, the following PDF is a safety data sheet regarding the chemical Benzalkonium Chloride aka. Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.

Safety Data Sheet PDF

From the PDF, it is stated...

Do not use for squirting or spraying. Do not use
    for products which come into direct contact with
    the skin. Do not use for products which come in-
    to contact with foodstuffs. Do not use for private
    purposes (household)
    The hazard assessment notes skin corrosion and irritation as a category 1B hazard. This explains the scale conundrum and the red skin. It should also be noted that serious eye damage is noted as a symptom as a category 1 hazard — it would appear that you are lucky your snake is not blind.

I have added this issue to a document I am working on documenting health issues relating to ball pythons as issue #1:1?1.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to xAnthemia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (12-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by xAnthemia View Post
    For those curious, the following PDF is a safety data sheet regarding the chemical Benzalkonium Chloride aka. Alkyl Dimethyl Benzyl Ammonium Chloride.

Safety Data Sheet PDF

From the PDF, it is stated...

The hazard assessment notes skin corrosion and irritation as a category 1B hazard. This explains the scale conundrum and the red skin. It should also be noted that serious eye damage is noted as a symptom as a category 1 hazard — it would appear that you are lucky your snake is not blind.

I have added this issue to a document I am working on documenting health issues relating to ball pythons as issue #1:1?1.
    It does seem likely to be the cause of the redness- maybe some was missed when rinsing & wiping out the enclosure, & got on the snake's skin. It sure could have been worse...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12