Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 831

1 members and 830 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heating

Thanks

Heating

Hi, I have trouble understanding how to heat the terrarium for my ball python. Originally I was using a heat mat and a ceramic heat emitter but since it only emits UVC its not the besy. Recently I did a bioactive tank for him. I have trouble knowing exactly where to measure the temperature for him. I am using a deap heat projector right now for him, to have different UV's. I read at some spots that the maximum i should measure in the tank is 95 because higher than that he could burn, I put the thermostat probe under the DHP wich is over his hide on the hot side. But inside his hide i measure colder than that and colder than 80 sometimes. On his cold side it is around 75 but at night I have seen 73. How could I help bring the ambiant temperature up ? I was thinking about adding a fan so that the heat under the DHP gets dissipated !

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Heating

Should I put the thermostat probe in the hide even if it gets hotter than 95 on the hide ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D4NKYD4NK View Post
    Hi, I have trouble understanding how to heat the terrarium for my ball python. Originally I was using a heat mat and a ceramic heat emitter but since it only emits UVC its not the besy. Recently I did a bioactive tank for him. I have trouble knowing exactly where to measure the temperature for him. I am using a deap heat projector right now for him, to have different UV's. I read at some spots that the maximum i should measure in the tank is 95 because higher than that he could burn, I put the thermostat probe under the DHP wich is over his hide on the hot side. But inside his hide i measure colder than that and colder than 80 sometimes. On his cold side it is around 75 but at night I have seen 73. How could I help bring the ambiant temperature up ? I was thinking about adding a fan so that the heat under the DHP gets dissipated !
    First, I understand that you stopped using the CHE and UTH and now you are only using a DHP. If that's correct, I'd add the CHE on the cool side and set the thermostat to maintain a temperature of 80 degrees. That's similar to what I do. I use a RHP for my basking spot and heat tape to keep the cool side from getting too cool. If that fails to raise the ambient enough, I'd try closing the vents to restrict airflow. Until you do that, I think a fan would blow the heat right out of your enclosure.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

D4NKYD4NK (11-11-2022)

Thanks

Should I put the thermostat probe in the hide even if it gets hotter than 95 on the hide ?
    No. I think that will make your hotspot dangerously hot.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

D4NKYD4NK (11-11-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    First, I understand that you stopped using the CHE and UTH and now you are only using a DHP. If that's correct, I'd add the CHE on the cool side and set the thermostat to maintain a temperature of 80 degrees. That's similar to what I do. I use a RHP for my basking spot and heat tape to keep the cool side from getting too cool. If that fails to raise the ambient enough, I'd try closing the vents to restrict airflow. Until you do that, I think a fan would blow the heat right out of your enclosure.
    Perfect I'll try and do that, I was trying not to have to buy a dimmer thermostat and another lamps dome! For the fan, I dont have a lot of ventilation in the terrarium, only the band at the front, you still think it would do that ?

Thanks

No. I think that will make your hotspot dangerously hot.
    Thats what i thought, I just wanted to be sur I understood everything correctly !

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    If this an open-topped enclosure with just a mesh or screen then covering it with aluminum foil everywhere except under the DHP will help keep heat and humidity in the enclosure.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-11-2022),D4NKYD4NK (11-12-2022),Homebody (11-11-2022)

Thanks

Perfect I'll try and do that, I was trying not to have to buy a dimmer thermostat and another lamps dome! For the fan, I dont have a lot of ventilation in the terrarium, only the band at the front, you still think it would do that ?
    First, you should follow bcr229's suggestion to cover the top. If it's open, that's how your heat's escaping. If it's closed and you're still having trouble, add the CHE and see if that works. Only if that doesn't do it, do you close the vents. You'll probably also need to add the heat mat on the warm side to get temps up in the warm side hide. I looked at your last post requesting assistance with heating. Is the ambient room temp still 65 degrees? If so, that's why you have to work so hard to get temps up.
    Last edited by Homebody; 11-11-2022 at 10:44 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

D4NKYD4NK (11-12-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
    If this an open-topped enclosure with just a mesh or screen then covering it with aluminum foil everywhere except under the DHP will help keep heat and humidity in the enclosure.
    Yes it is all closed. The only ventilation left is the strip under the doors at the front and I think its best for the snakes and Isopods to have the vent open !

Thanks

First, you should follow bcr229's suggestion to cover the top. If it's open, that's how your heat's escaping. If it's closed and you're still having trouble, add the CHE and see if that works. Only if that doesn't do it, do you close the vents. You'll probably also need to add the heat mat on the warm side to get temps up in the warm side hide. I looked at your last post requesting assistance with heating. Is the ambient room temp still 65 degrees? If so, that's why you have to work so hard to get temps up.
    Yeah I was really thinking that with the insulating foam I used for the background and the sides plus the thick substrate and the top! Wich has aluminium foil and some towels on top to help insulate, the only part left is the front glass for the heat to escape.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast