Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,973

4 members and 2,969 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Questions about CHE longevity and herp money saving advice

This may not be the best sub forum to post this in, as I was debating whether this or the "General Herp" forum would be the right place so I apologize if this isn't the correct forum.

1.) As they age, do CHEs just die or do they slowly produce less and less heat? I think it's time to replace my BP's and turtle's CHEs but I'm not sure if the lower temps are mainly caused by older equipment or by the colder room temps.

2.) Gas prices suddenly jumped up where I am by about $0.40 and I go through it quickly as I have a long drive to school. Due to this and not getting a lot of hours at work currently I'm having issues affording some care and maintenance for all my animals. I would like to avoid this as much as possible but I will rehome my BP if absolutely necessary but cannot rehome my rabbit or turtle because I'm worried about finding someone who could provide adequate care for them.

What are your money saving tips for reptiles/pets in general? So far I'm planning on skipping a PVC enclosure for now and putting insulation foam on the sides of my BP's tank to help keep in warmth. I also plan on making a sterilite bin nest box/boxing platform for my turtle but I'm struggling to make her tub escape proof after her last escape resulted in a torn claw. Any tips from any other turtle owners on escape proofing stock tubs would also be greatly appreciated also as I've had her in a smaller bin for awhile and want her to be able to swim in a large space again.

Thank you so much in advance for the help and advice!
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    I don't use CHE's much, but I think they mostly just fail outright. But it might be possible for them to fail slowly too, I'm not sure? Let's see what others think.

And yes, I'll move this to General Herp.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-08-2022)

Thanks

Re: Questions about CHE longevity and herp money saving advice

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    I don't use CHE's much, but I think they mostly just fail outright. But it might be possible for them to fail slowly too, I'm not sure? Let's see what others think.

And yes, I'll move this to General Herp.

Thank you! Super sorry for the inconvenience with moving it.

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Thank you! Super sorry for the inconvenience with moving it.
    It's pretty easy, actually- not to worry.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-08-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts
    Yes, CHE's can theoretically degrade over time (the heating element degrades, increases its resistance and doesn't allow as much electricity to flow). When the heating unit is controlled by a thermostat, this will just require the thermostat to run the heat element more frequently. I have very little experience with CHEs, so I don't know how frequently this happens with them. They're still producing the same amount of heat per unit of electricity used, so unlike florescent lamps there isn't any waste of electricity with using old worn out units.

Saving money on a couple animals is a challenge, since buying stuff in bulk (substrate, feeders) is a very effective way to save money but not a great option for small collections. But depending on your feeder source and substrate choice, there might be some changes to be made there (buy feeders in a 6-month quantity at an expo or from a local producer instead of paying pet store prices on singles; consider less expensive substrates).

Whether the desired savings are short term or long term matters a lot -- it is often a choice between making the most cost effective choice overall, or just pushing off costs into the future. Insulating an enclosure for now instead of getting a PVC enclosure sort of kicks the can down the road and adds to overall costs, since the insulation is a temporary bandaid (and has no resale value) to stave off the future purchase of the PVC enclosure. If you figure in the decreased energy costs when using a PVC enclosure (they insulate well, far better than anything with a CHE punching through a screen top), and the current need to buy a new heating element anyway, and the future intent to buy a PVC enclosure, probably buying a PVC enclosure and an RHP now would be the most economical choice. But all the costs on that option are up front. Pay a bunch now, or twice as much over time -- many things are like this.

With just a couple animals (and ones that aren't particularly expensive to keep) it may be that cutting costs elsewhere would be a lot more effective. Transportation costs might be cut by getting into a higher MPG car, or carpooling, or moving. Monthly subscription sorts of things are a big money suck for many of us, and are often not necessary.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-09-2022),Bogertophis (11-09-2022),Homebody (11-09-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Yes, CHE's can theoretically degrade over time (the heating element degrades, increases its resistance and doesn't allow as much electricity to flow). When the heating unit is controlled by a thermostat, this will just require the thermostat to run the heat element more frequently. I have very little experience with CHEs, so I don't know how frequently this happens with them. They're still producing the same amount of heat per unit of electricity used, so unlike florescent lamps there isn't any waste of electricity with using old worn out units.

Saving money on a couple animals is a challenge, since buying stuff in bulk (substrate, feeders) is a very effective way to save money but not a great option for small collections. But depending on your feeder source and substrate choice, there might be some changes to be made there (buy feeders in a 6-month quantity at an expo or from a local producer instead of paying pet store prices on singles; consider less expensive substrates).

Whether the desired savings are short term or long term matters a lot -- it is often a choice between making the most cost effective choice overall, or just pushing off costs into the future. Insulating an enclosure for now instead of getting a PVC enclosure sort of kicks the can down the road and adds to overall costs, since the insulation is a temporary bandaid (and has no resale value) to stave off the future purchase of the PVC enclosure. If you figure in the decreased energy costs when using a PVC enclosure (they insulate well, far better than anything with a CHE punching through a screen top), and the current need to buy a new heating element anyway, and the future intent to buy a PVC enclosure, probably buying a PVC enclosure and an RHP now would be the most economical choice. But all the costs on that option are up front. Pay a bunch now, or twice as much over time -- many things are like this.

With just a couple animals (and ones that aren't particularly expensive to keep) it may be that cutting costs elsewhere would be a lot more effective. Transportation costs might be cut by getting into a higher MPG car, or carpooling, or moving. Monthly subscription sorts of things are a big money suck for many of us, and are often not necessary.
    I currently purchase feeder rodents and substrate in bulk. I would try to invest in a PVC enclosure but I actually have some insulation foam from a project I scrapped so I wouldn't be purchasing any of it. Luckily I still live with my parents so I don't have to worry about paying for electricity for heating. It would just be the bulb I'd need to buy, but I guess that cost also depends on the brand. I don't wanna cheap out and have a CHE that instantly breaks or catches my house on fire but I also don't want to spend an arm and a leg on a heater I will only use for a few months.

I just feel bad because I want to spoil my animals and give them the best I can, especially for my BP. He's always active at night regardless of temps and humidity and I feel awful for not accommodating that behavior as well as I can. Same with my rabbit and millipede. And as long as she gets fed, my turtle couldn't care less lol.

Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Malum Argenteum (11-09-2022)