Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,978

4 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Question Bioactive PVC setup question

Hi everyone

I'm about to upgrade my BP into a larger enclosure. He's currently in a glass tank with a screen top, and I am planning on moving him into a bioactive setup in a PVC enclosure. I have done quite a bit of reading on lighting/heating options, but I have not seen anything on if a solid or a screen top is more ideal. I know that solid tops are better for holding in heat and humidity (which is nice considering how cold and dry it is in my house) but I am concerned that there will not be enough ventilation, especially while growing plants and such.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Bioactive PVC setup question

I think the reason you haven't gotten a reply yet is the fact that most people don't make bioactive enclosures for snakes, especially ball pythons. They are very destructive and will happily rearrange and/or destroy whatever is in their tank. Apparently my snake doesn't think I have the best taste in interior design lol.

However, it can definitely be done. A PVC enclosure should have some ventilation drilled into it on the sides or something. I wouldn't recommend adding a screen unless you plan on putting a heat lamp or something similar on it like a grow light as it may make it more difficult to maintain heat and humidity. I would use an RHP (email ProHeat for the size recommendation and a quote) for heat, and then find some sort of waterproof vivarium light. There's some evidence that snakes may benefit from UVB and some BP owners like to make daytime basking areas for their snakes besides the RHP.

Also, I would not recommend making a false bottom for your ball python. I'm not sure what size PVC enclosure you're getting but it may be a pain and It probably wouldn't give you much of a benefit. My BP only has fake plants, but I do have a desert millipede with a cactus that I left in its pot. That way I can take it out if needed without being poked and I don't need a false bottom. Trust me it is SOOOOOO much easier that way, especially if I need to replace substrate or something like that.

Good luck!
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 11-02-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-02-2022),emmaeh (11-02-2022),Homebody (11-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,182 Times in 1,176 Posts

Re: Bioactive PVC setup question

Quote Originally Posted by emmaeh View Post
    Hi everyone

I'm about to upgrade my BP into a larger enclosure. He's currently in a glass tank with a screen top, and I am planning on moving him into a bioactive setup in a PVC enclosure. I have done quite a bit of reading on lighting/heating options, but I have not seen anything on if a solid or a screen top is more ideal. I know that solid tops are better for holding in heat and humidity (which is nice considering how cold and dry it is in my house) but I am concerned that there will not be enough ventilation, especially while growing plants and such.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated

Thank you!
    I vote solid top. You're building an enclosure for your BP, so you should do what's best for him. Use plants that don't require a lot of ventilation.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (11-02-2022),Bogertophis (11-02-2022),emmaeh (11-02-2022),GoingPostal (11-02-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts
    I realize you're looking for advice on an enclosure, and not whether to "go bioactive", but: are there any problems with your current housing/care you're trying to address with the bioactive enclosure? Very often, 'bioactive' is a solution in search of a problem, or at least used without a clear and specific goal in mind.