Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,953

1 members and 2,952 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Exclamation BP Constantly Trying to Escape

Hi, I've moved my bp to new enclosure for a month ago, everything has been goin well since he pooped. After he pooped I did spot cleaning then he became very active. Usually it is a normal thing until feeding for him. Then he used his hide ONLY for 1 day after then became very active again. He doesn't use hot spot, tries to climb anytime and eventually falls down. I don't know what is wrong with him, please help me I am worried about him.

Edit: After 4 days, I tought he is doing stuffs like that because of hungriness. He ate it in seconds then like 2-3 hours later he tried to escape again ..

Humidity about %75-85 (Humidity of Home around %75)
    Hot Spot is about 32 Celsius
    Cold Spot is about 28 Celsius

Thanks

Re: BP Constantly Trying to Escape

Here it is his enclosure and typical his movements..

Thanks
    Thanked 19,795 Times in 11,828 Posts
    To survive successfully, snakes must learn their way around in nature (know where they're safe to hide, etc) and they do NOT understand new enclosures- it's like "Where did my world go & how do I find it again?" So that's most likely the main reason. Imagine how you'd feel being abducted by aliens?

But also, double & triple check the temperatures to make sure that nothing is too hot, etc. If you're using UTH, be sure to move the substrate (the way snakes often do) & measure the surface underneath. Same goes for overhead hot spots. The older your snake is (ie. the more 'established' they are in the old home) the more likely they are to be upset with the new stuff. Mostly try to be patient.

Another thing- those hides look too big & too tall. BPs like "cozy" hides with "back pressure" (low ceilings), only one doorway that's just big enough for them to fit thru (after eating), and the overall space not too much bigger than their curled up body is. When you provide hides that are too big, your snake will have trouble feeling safe. BPs are ambush predators, not roaming hunters, so their hideouts are pretty important to them.

Also- there's a lot of open space between hides- providing more "cover" (vines & such he can use for camouflage when "out in the open") can also help a snakes sense of security. BPs are shy for a reason- in the wild, there are plenty of predators waiting to eat them! When I set up a snake's home, I think about how I'd feel in there if I was the snake- not about how well I can watch their every move.

While snakes do take tumbles in the wild, it's also best to minimize them falling if you can- so if you give a branch for them to climb on, don't make them high up & use several so they have more to hang onto.

Your humidity is too high- you want about 55-65% unless in shed, then about 75% should be fine. Keep in mind that just breathing gets harder in very high humidity- BPs do need some humidity for sure, but be sure it's not too much of a good thing. His activity might have been about seeking the more normal (less humid?) air seeping into his home. Time & time again, I've observed my own pets seeking fresh air from windows or doors just because of all the new scents. Your temperature range is good by the way.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-31-2022 at 08:28 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-10-2022),muktedir (11-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Occasionally when a snake is persistently trying to escape they are simply too warm
    .. .. I know you mention the temps but maybe the cooler side /end is simply too warm for that particular snake .

I have 7 Royal Pythons and two definitely prefer cooler temps than the other 5 for some reason

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-10-2022)

Thanks

First of all, thanks a lot to you.

I check the temperatures with my laser gun, and 2 thermometers. All the temps are settled up. He was very happy for a month, I cannot realize what's wrong with him even I didn't make any changes in his enclosure

I'll make changes in order to you advices

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by muktedir View Post
    First of all, thanks a lot to you.

I check the temperatures with my laser gun, and 2 thermometers. All the temps are settled up. He was very happy for a month, I cannot realize what's wrong with him even I didn't make any changes in his enclosure

I'll make changes in order to you advices
    Just guessing & suggesting- we all have to "play detective" sometimes to see what works for a snake- ie. what's bothering them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

muktedir (11-01-2022)

Thanks

I've updated his enclosure, hope it wil works...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to muktedir For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-10-2022),Bogertophis (11-01-2022)

Thanks
    One thing I noticed right off- that "ladder" you have in there is dangerous because it's something your snake can get stuck in. Snakes are not logical- sometimes they go into things & try to push their way thru not realizing their midbody is too large to fit all the way. And they often cannot back out because their directional & overlapping scales prevent them from doing so.

I'd remove that, & avoid any other decorations that have inflexible holes in where a snake can get stuck- it happens more often than you think. Like with those fake skulls they sell in pet stores- keep in mind that things sold for fish to swim thru are NOT suitable for snakes- in fact, many of them (the molded plastic "castles" & such) have sharp unfinished edges inside also- that fish don't have any problem with (apparently?) but which will cut up a snake that decides to push snugly into the space.

Snakes are known to get halfway thru a hole & get stuck (it can also be in driftwood etc), & it's very difficult (& dangerous) to cut those materials to free a stuck snake- it's truly best avoided. FYI, in the wild, snakes get stuck (& often die) in "bird netting", "chicken wire", & some other types of fencing that people use in their garden or yard- they just get stuck mid-way & are unable to back out. (Otherwise your set-up looks pretty good- IF the hides aren't too tall/too large for him to feel "snug" inside- & that's for your snake to decide, not me, lol.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 11-01-2022 at 07:42 PM.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (11-10-2022),dakski (11-01-2022),muktedir (11-03-2022),Zincubus (11-01-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,898 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by muktedir View Post
    I've updated his enclosure, hope it wil works...

Looking very nice !

I would add loads of branches and some fake plastic / silk plants though ,

Snakes hate all that open space that’s why they slither along skirting boards and the edges of rooms and never go halfway across the carpet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-01-2022),muktedir (11-03-2022)

Thanks

Thank you for all' I'll cut the ladder's rope so there will be no hole to stuck in. Could you express your opinions about my rodent according to my BP body size, and could you interpret the my BP body ratio is it overweight or OK?

Thanks a lot again!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to muktedir For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (11-03-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast