Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,742

2 members and 3,740 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Lesser Russo vs lesser mojave

I was given a BEL from a friend, and he can’t remember what the genes involved were other than lesser, but thinks it’s either a mojave or Russo. The only markings it has is a little brown on the head but otherwise it’s pure white. Definitely more white than my lesser mystic. From my research, I believe it’s more likely to be a mojave with the brown. Am I right in assuming this or is it too difficult to tell? I can get pictures if needed, but I feel like the brown is hard to see anyway.

I do plan on breeding her to my lesser mystic. Would I more than likely be able to tell the offspring apart? I know lesser x lesser will be the purest white while lesser mystic will have a yellow stripe. I also know I will either get an Invisiball or mystic potion, but will I be able to tell the lesser mojave or Russo apart from the others?

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 840 Posts
    If there's brown or yellow on the head I would maybe lean more towards Russo. Or If you can actually make out an eye stripe on her. That is of course unless she's actually a super mojave and has the headstamp and eyestripe.

Honestly the only way to be sure is by breeding her out.

In general my experience with the BEL combos are:
    Lesser mojaves are very clean, almost white. It can be very hard to make out an eyestripe. Sometimes they'll get a yellow stripe on the back or have a slightly yellow tint when they get older
    Lesser Russos can still be very white, but they have a higher chance of getting a slightly larger stripe down the back and the eyestripes are more visible. The stripe seems to be more dusty colored not as yellow as the Lesser mojave. Also may be prone to the bug eyes like a super lesser.
    Super mojaves do tend to have more color around the head.

Honestly your best chance would be to breed her to something not in the BEL complex so you have a clear idea on what she is. For example...

The first four are from one clutch, can you tell the lesser special from the lesser mojave?
    The second are my three current hatchlings. Super mojave, coral glow super mojave and a coral glow mojave special. Which one is which?
    Otherwise, I've never seen a mojave russo under a blacklight... but it might help.

Last edited by Armiyana; 10-29-2022 at 04:06 AM.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-29-2022),Bogertophis (10-29-2022),Homebody (10-29-2022),nikkubus (10-29-2022)

Thanks

Lesser Russo vs lesser mojave

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    If there's brown or yellow on the head I would maybe lean more towards Russo. Or If you can actually make out an eye stripe on her. That is of course unless she's actually a super mojave and has the headstamp and eyestripe.

Honestly the only way to be sure is by breeding her out.

In general my experience with the BEL combos are:
    Lesser mojaves are very clean, almost white. It can be very hard to make out an eyestripe. Sometimes they'll get a yellow stripe on the back or have a slightly yellow tint when they get older
    Lesser Russos can still be very white, but they have a higher chance of getting a slightly larger stripe down the back and the eyestripes are more visible. The stripe seems to be more dusty colored not as yellow as the Lesser mojave. Also may be prone to the bug eyes like a super lesser.
    Super mojaves do tend to have more color around the head.

Honestly your best chance would be to breed her to something not in the BEL complex so you have a clear idea on what she is. For example...

The first four are from one clutch, can you tell the lesser special from the lesser mojave?
    The second are my three current hatchlings. Super mojave, coral glow super mojave and a coral glow mojave special. Which one is which?
    Otherwise, I've never seen a mojave russo under a blacklight... but it might help.

I don’t believe she is super mojave. The brown is pretty indiscreet. She has a little above her heat pits and a little above her eyes, but it doesn’t make a pattern. She just looks like she has a little dirt on her face. I’ve already seen two locks with my male lesser mystic. Maybe I could throw in my banana clown male for the rest of the breeding season instead to try to prove her out? Would that work? It’s probably not super important for this clutch anyway because I have a lot of people who just want pet BELs and wouldn’t care about the genetics, but it I were to sell on morphmarket I’d probably want to be more sure about the genetics.

If I were to breed her to a super lesser in the future, would I be able to tell super lesser vs lesser Russo as they get older or with BELs do you really need to be breeding something like 2 super lessers or 1 gene snakes to be sure about genetics? From what I’m hearing, it sounds like even within the same genes you can get a lot of variation from pure white to a yellow stripe. I assume it’s fine as long as you’re upfront about what they could be getting, but I don’t know how I feel about selling mystery genetics. Is that frowned upon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Jcd5v; 11-05-2022 at 12:15 PM.
    BS in Animal Science- Future Exotic Veterinarian
    1.0 X Karma BEL- Apollo
    1.0 X Mystic x Ghost- Kronos
    0.1 X Invisiball Spider- Medusa