Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,694

0 members and 2,694 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Rescue rats trained to search for disaster survivors

As I've always maintained, rats are intelligent & curious, & obviously great at fitting into tight places. This seems like a great idea! (Link below has short video too)

https://www.wsfa.com/2022/10/25/resc...ter-survivors/

Rescue rats trained to search for disaster survivors

Some rats have been trained for other emergency situations, like sniffing out landmines and even detecting tuberculosis. (APOPO via CNN)

By CNN Newsource Staff

Published: Oct. 25, 2022 at 5:04 AM CDT

(CNN) - A nonprofit is outfitting rats with high-tech backpacks and training them to help search for survivors of natural and man-made disasters.
    Natural disasters like earthquakes and hurricanes can level entire communities, and for search and rescue teams, it’s a painstaking task as they work against time to find survivors.
    But unlikely saviors are being trained to help out: rats with tiny, high-tech backpacks carrying video cameras.
    The project, conceived by Belgian nonprofit APOPO, trains the rats to help first responders search for survivors among rubble in disaster zones.

“Rats are typically quite curious and like to explore – and that is key for search and rescue,” said Donna Kean, a behavioral research scientist and leader of the project.
    Some rats have been trained for other emergency situations, like sniffing out landmines and even detecting tuberculosis.
    “Even if our rats find just one survivor at a debris site, I think we would be happy to know it’s made a difference somewhere,” Kean told CNN.
    Not every rodent can become a part of the rescue pack. APOPO’s programs use African giant pouched rats, which have a longer lifespan in captivity than the common brown rat.
    Copyright 2022 CNN Newsource. All rights reserved.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (10-27-2022),Homebody (10-27-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-27-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,073 Times in 412 Posts
    They need a little whiskey barrel around their neck, and they could do avalanche rescue.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-27-2022),Erie_herps (10-29-2022)

Thanks

Re: Rescue rats trained to search for disaster survivors

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    They need a little whiskey barrel around their neck, and they could do avalanche rescue.
    But their little toes would freeze off- they'd need some real good booties too. And the barrels better not be empty... (Somehow I don't think digging in snow would be their strong suit?)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (10-29-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,992 Posts

Fascinating ..
    I’m tempted to get a couple of females as I have a decent sized glass tank / viv ..

I’ve had just about every conceivable critter apart from rats !!!

Part of it is the size of their teeth and claws plus getting them tame … I imagine them being very fast and just running off and disappearing under the floorboards never to be seen again ..

Has anyone any encouraging advice for me ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Not sure where you are located, but there are lots of US state restrictions on African Pouched Rats:

https://nprs.org.uk/knowledge-base/k...united-states/

They can no longer be imported into the US due to the monkeypox issue with them and prairie dogs about 20 years ago. I had supposed they were illegal to keep (prairie dogs were banned for quite a few years after that incident), but apparently not.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-29-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Fascinating ..
    I’m tempted to get a couple of females as I have a decent sized glass tank / viv ..

I’ve had just about every conceivable critter apart from rats !!!

Part of it is the size of their teeth and claws plus getting them tame … I imagine them being very fast and just running off and disappearing under the floorboards never to be seen again ..

Has anyone any encouraging advice for me ??

Domestic rats tame very easily- you might never get bit- as long as you get one that's just weaned & handle them- hey, that's the fun part.

And except for really spicy or hot foods, they like most everything we do & need a similarly balanced diet, so you can easily share a few crumbs of whatever you're munching & that will turn you into their instant HERO, trust me.

I had a number of pet rats well before I ever got into snakes- they're about as intelligent & trainable as dogs & cats, & very social- get 2 as buddies (same sex) unless you'll be their very frequent companion. Domestic rats aren't that fast either- same goes for mice, which I still raise- I've had one get loose & it just sat there on top of the cage trying to figure a way back in, lol. Nothing like wild rats.

Now if you're breeding rats, yes, some will "defend their babies" unless they know & trust you really well- but normally bites from pet rats don't happen. Some even show affection- I had a male rat that would lean on the wall of his home & after I scratched his back, he'd turn & lick my hand like a dog! I only had one rat ever nip me by mistake when giving food treats- and he showed instant REMORSE. No kidding, he hung his head like he expected to be struck by lightning- I forgave him. Normally, my pet rats would carefully lick peanut butter or gravy off my fingers without making any mistakes. In fact, they'll do an admirable job of licking "empty" peanut butter jars very clean- much easier to wash & recycle then.

Need any more "encouragement"? Just bear in mind they're nocturnal- they love running in wheels- so if you plan to sleep at night, you don't want them living in the same room. You can put a bit of cooking oil on metal wheels to stop the squeak, but they very quickly find the oil & lick it off- so much for that. Anyway, they'll get playful at night too, even without a wheel you'll have "things going bump in the night". They also like (& NEED) to gnaw- otherwise their teeth can over-grow (like unclipped dog toenails).

Rats are great pets. Just make sure you buy healthy PET QUALITY- not just inbred "feeders".

Oh, about their claws- I find female rats make better pets mainly because they're not as large (heavy) as the males- it matters when they're sitting on your shoulder & their nails find their way thru your shirt, or you put them on the floor & try to walk away but they give chase & run up your pant leg...Maybe you could try filing their nails though?

Thanks

Thank you !!

I will give it all some serious though

We are in Florida over Christmas/ New Year so maybe a couple of females in January

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zincubus View Post
    Thank you !!

I will give it all some serious though

We are in Florida over Christmas/ New Year so maybe a couple of females in January

I guess we can stand the suspense until "next year", but we'll be expecting a thread & pics!

BTW, if you've ever had a hamster....rats are VERY different. They wake up easily & are never cranky. (Then again, I was always the "treat lady"...haha!) But yeah, they're very curious & social. (I have more than enough pets at the moment, but I wouldn't mind having another pet rat myself, one of these days.)
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-29-2022 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    I'm assuming the pouched rats are pretty different from regular domestic rats (which are lovely animals, I agree)?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I'm assuming the pouched rats are pretty different from regular domestic rats (which are lovely animals, I agree)?
    They appear to be much larger ( 3’ head to tail ) and live far longer . Average weight 3lbs but can attain a weight of 9 to 10 lbs !!

They are an invasive species in Florida apparently after a breeder released his in the 90’s …

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-30-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast