Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,976

2 members and 2,974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Thanks

First time owner, please advise *long post*

Hello, I have adopted a BP that I don’t even know if I should call neglected or abused. When I first knew of her existence she was living in a 10g tank with no hides and covered in poop everywhere. I assumed the person had JUST gotten her and was in the process of setting up an actual enclosure, I was also under the assumption she was a juvenile bc of her size. Not even a month later we found out the person wanted to get rid of “it” ASAP and was just willing to give it away to whoever asked. My initial reaction was try and get the person to delay the decision while I looked for a person who would properly take care of her but I was rejected and pretty much given the weekend to either find someone or keep it before she was discarded. This has been the most stressful weekend trying to AT LEAST set up something decent so I can keep her safe but with that little time I have less than ideal resources. I got a 36x18x18 glass enclosure thinking that she would quickly outgrow the tiny tank she was kept in, as the days went by I found more and more unpleasant information, whether is all true or not I’ll never know. First off, apparently she is 3 years old but she seems way too small for that, I know they grow their entire lives but slow down significantly after the first few years so I’m worried about her being too stressed in the new enclosure. The person I got her from said to “feed whenever” and clean when there’s “too much poop”, I absolutely believe those were her conditions for years because the tank is absolutely repulsive, its filled with **** and reeks of urine but I am afraid of handling her yet bc of the stress of moving and due to the fact that she is shedding and this person did not think it necessary to tell me until I was there. The tank besides foul smelling was absolutely dry as in DRY, the water bowl had not just been emptied bc it was dry and dusty. Claims were made that she “sheds in pieces” so to just mist whenever I ser her shedding. I misted some warm water upon arriving home and cleaned and filled her water bowl, she literally LICKED the droplets out of the glass and once I put in the water bowl she dunked her entire head in and drank for what it seemed forever. I know this seems more like ranting at this point but I want to provide as much information as possible so I get the proper advice. Once misted and kept warm she shed mostly in one piece and now she is just in her hide. My question is, how do I safely handle her so I don’t hurt her and I can clear the tank? Should I return the big tank for something smaller? She has never been to the vet so I got her insurance and an appointment and hopefully get more information but they couldn’t see it until a week and a half from now that is why I’m hoping to keep her as comfortable as possible until then. I love snakes so while not entirely clueless I am a firm believer that theoretical knowledge will never come close to experience, I have never owned one or set up a tank myself and I am having issues with keeping the heat and humidity at optimal levels. It reads OK for the most part but since I already have her with me I figured I no longer have the pressure of time and can do it properly so I discarded the exo terra heat mat I previously got, I am also still waiting on the laser thermometer so make sure that the readings are accurate. I am sorry for the long post, I am not entirely sure it even makes good sense at all since I feel extremely distressed about the situation. I am waiting on an ultratherm uth but I can still cancel and get a smaller one. Should I continue to acclimate the big tank or does it make more sense to get a smaller one due to her size? I will post pictures later and hopefully I can weigh her too to give you a better idea. Right now my urgency is to clean the tank but also stress her the least possible and not hurt her since she is shedding. Thank you in advance 💕

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PrincessBunny For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022),Bogertophis (11-05-2022),Homebody (10-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: First time owner, please advise *long post*

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessBunny View Post

Hello, I have adopted a BP that I don’t even know if I should call neglected or abused. When I first knew of her existence she was living in a 10g tank with no hides and covered in poop everywhere. I assumed the person had JUST gotten her and was in the process of setting up an actual enclosure, I was also under the assumption she was a juvenile bc of her size.

Not even a month later we found out the person wanted to get rid of “it” ASAP and was just willing to give it away to whoever asked. My initial reaction was try and get the person to delay the decision while I looked for a person who would properly take care of her but I was rejected and pretty much given the weekend to either find someone or keep it before she was discarded. This has been the most stressful weekend trying to AT LEAST set up something decent so I can keep her safe but with that little time I have less than ideal resources.

I got a 36x18x18 glass enclosure thinking that she would quickly outgrow the tiny tank she was kept in, as the days went by I found more and more unpleasant information, whether is all true or not I’ll never know. First off, apparently she is 3 years old but she seems way too small for that, I know they grow their entire lives but slow down significantly after the first few years so I’m worried about her being too stressed in the new enclosure. The person I got her from said to “feed whenever” and clean when there’s “too much poop”, I absolutely believe those were her conditions for years because the tank is absolutely repulsive, its filled with **** and reeks of urine but I am afraid of handling her yet bc of the stress of moving and due to the fact that she is shedding and this person did not think it necessary to tell me until I was there.

The tank besides foul smelling was absolutely dry as in DRY, the water bowl had not just been emptied bc it was dry and dusty. Claims were made that she “sheds in pieces” so to just mist whenever I ser her shedding. I misted some warm water upon arriving home and cleaned and filled her water bowl, she literally LICKED the droplets out of the glass and once I put in the water bowl she dunked her entire head in and drank for what it seemed forever. I know this seems more like ranting at this point but I want to provide as much information as possible so I get the proper advice. Once misted and kept warm she shed mostly in one piece and now she is just in her hide.

My question is, how do I safely handle her so I don’t hurt her and I can clear the tank?

Should I return the big tank for something smaller?

She has never been to the vet so I got her insurance and an appointment and hopefully get more information but they couldn’t see it until a week and a half from now that is why I’m hoping to keep her as comfortable as possible until then. I love snakes so while not entirely clueless I am a firm believer that theoretical knowledge will never come close to experience, I have never owned one or set up a tank myself and I am having issues with keeping the heat and humidity at optimal levels. It reads OK for the most part but since I already have her with me I figured I no longer have the pressure of time and can do it properly so I discarded the exo terra heat mat I previously got, I am also still waiting on the laser thermometer so make sure that the readings are accurate.

I am sorry for the long post, I am not entirely sure it even makes good sense at all since I feel extremely distressed about the situation. I am waiting on an ultratherm uth but I can still cancel and get a smaller one. Should I continue to acclimate the big tank or does it make more sense to get a smaller one due to her size? I will post pictures later and hopefully I can weigh her too to give you a better idea. Right now my urgency is to clean the tank but also stress her the least possible and not hurt her since she is shedding. Thank you in advance 💕

First, when posting, use spacing and proper paragraphs. It's almost impossible to read a long post that uses neither. Probably why no one has responded yet.

Secondly, what are you using for heat now? Are you using a thermostat and if so, what kind? How do you know temps if you don't have a proper IR temp gun?

IF running heating elements without knowing temps, or properly monitoring them, please unplug them now! Excessive heat for your BP can be much worse than cooler temps right now. Excessive heat can damage her neurologically and even kill her.

She's been through hell already, as long as you haven't fed her, she's better off at room temp for a day or two than too much heat. Proper heat is for health and well being, but proper hot side temps are largely for digestion.

OKAY - NOW TAKE A DEEP BREATHE

If you want to keep the tank you have, and it is glass, you can properly clean with F10SC solution, a proper dilution of chlorhexidine, or some other methods. I'll let others chime in. I prefer those two disinfectants. They are reptile safe and, as stated, disinfect when used properly.

If you want to get a new tank, that's fine, but I would save up and get her a proper PVC enclosure that holds humidity and heat well. Again, if not sure about this, I'd ask for suggestions.

Right now, you want to get her on track, proper husbandry, and eating.

If you can clean the tank, I would use paper substrate for a bit to see if she has any issues, like mites for example. She needs to be properly quarantined and inspected. I assume you have no other reptiles in the house. If you do, keep her as far aways as possible and do not share utensils/tools, bowls, etc.

If she is still shedding, you can still gently handle her and even wrap her in a warm (not hot) towel and help her shed. I would do this after soaking her in warm or room temp water (again not hot) to help with the shedding process. It will also help hydrate her.

This is a start. Answer these questions and try to follow this advice for now.

Please post pictures, ask about proper temps and humidity etc. if unsure, and be gentle with her.

Finally, it sounds like she has stunted growth, but without picture and weight, it's hard to say how bad off she is in terms of what she needs food wise.

Once shed, and weighed, etc. leave her alone in her clean and warm tank to get acclimated for a bit. DO NOT HANDLE HER UNLESS YOU HAVE TO. She is very stressed, I am sure, and stress can lead to health issues, even beyond what she might already have.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022),Alicia (10-25-2022),Bogertophis (10-25-2022),GoingPostal (10-26-2022),Homebody (10-25-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-25-2022),PrincessBunny (10-25-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

The first thing you need to do is get her out of that filthy tank. Clean and disinfect it. Any stress caused by handling her will be relieved by her no longer living in squalid conditions. I'd return her to it with a couple hides, a water bowl she can soak in and some cover. I'd use paper towels for substrate. This is just temporary until you can get the equipment you need for a proper set up.

For her long term set up, I'd try the 36 x 18 x 18 first. You already have it. Many keepers struggle to maintain temperature and humidity in glass enclosures, but they work for some people. If you haven't already, get a thermostat to regulate the UTH. No heat source should be unregulated. You'll need a heat lamp too unless the room you keep her in is really warm. This forum has a caresheet with more information on the proper set up.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022),Alicia (10-25-2022),Bogertophis (10-25-2022),PrincessBunny (10-25-2022)

Thanks

Hello, I have adopted a BP that I don’t even know if I should call neglected or abused.
    Also, thank you for stepping into the breach and getting this poor neglected critter the care she needs.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-25-2022 at 04:50 PM.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022),Animallover3541 (10-31-2022),Bogertophis (10-25-2022),GoingPostal (10-26-2022)

Thanks

Thank you so so much! Also I’m sorry, I was panicking last night but I did manage to calm down enough to make the decision to clean her tank.
    I am actually outside right now, I need something to keep the thermometer up, I have an AcuRite thermometer but she kept knocking her down, I’ll make sure to buy those cleaners since I only used mild soap and boiling water.
    I don’t think I did a good job measuring her bc I did not want to handle her much and she kept moving but I don’t think she is even 2ft. She weighs 150 grams.

The hides I have for the big tank and the one that she came with are too big for both her and the current tank so I’m on supply run atm, I accept suggestions
    I have 2 BN link temperature controllers while I save up for a herpstat, I am using that, the acurite and my kitchen thermometer while the laser gun arrives.
    For heating I had an extra small heat mat if the big one I got was not enough (for the 40gallon tank) so I connected that to the BN link at the side of the tank, I know they are supposed to be underneath but I put it there for now just in case.

I have coconut substrate and repti bark but I havent used it bc I’m drying it up after soaking it in boiling water, right now she is using the paper bedding, is that OK or should I use paper towels as suggested?

I do have pictures but I couldn’t find how to attach them without URL, in posting permissions it says I cannot post attachments so I’ll figure it out and come back, otherwise I have no qualms sending through email or any other medium, I just want her to be OK.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PrincessBunny For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-27-2022)

Thanks

Thank you! I did end up cleaning it but this is so reassuring as I was so afraid of making a decision that would harm her more. i’m on a supply run to temporarily keep her in the tank she came in while she gets used to me and I bring the other one to proper conditions.
    I’ll get her a heat lamp, she pooped as soon as I put her back in the clean tank. I have a humidity controller and a fogger but since the current tank is so small I am just misting, do you think that would be enough or should I set up the fogger?
    I appreciate all the advice so so much!

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts
    And this link might help you post pictures: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...-Post-Pictures

From what you've said in first post (in reference to her likely age & how long her previous owner had her) it's probably safe for you to use substrate that will enhance the humidity rather than paper towels* (*which are used with newly-acquired snakes for a month or so while making sure they don't have mites. If this snake had mites for that long of a time, she'd not be alive now, so she's unlikely to have mites, IMO.)

for not handling her any more than is absolutely necessary- & preferably waiting until after she's eaten at least 3 times at normal intervals. Otherwise, the stress (& fear) of all the changes being in a new place can make a new snake refuse food- even when they really need food, so it's best not to risk that.

Going from a small tank to such a large one might make her feel afraid (with so much open space that she's not used to- since BPs are "ambush predators" that stay hidden & don't hunt actively- they mostly just pounce on prey that gets too near where they're hiding) so be sure she has several hides (one on cool side, one on warm side, & optional "humid hide"), some "clutter" (other furnishings like fake vines etc.), a water bowl of course, & it would be a good idea to cover the back & each side of the glass tank with dark paper or cardboard for privacy (this can also add some "insulation" if you live in a colder climate- the larger the tank, the harder it is to maintain the warmth that BPs require).
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (10-25-2022),Homebody (10-25-2022),PrincessBunny (10-25-2022)

Thanks

The hides I have for the big tank and the one that she came with are too big for both her and the current tank so I’m on supply run atm, I accept suggestions
    Hides can be any appropriately sized container your bp can get in and out of. You can buy pretty hides at the pet store, or you can cut wholes in plastic fast food bowls. Your bp won't care.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I have a humidity controller and a fogger but since the current tank is so small I am just misting, do you think that would be enough or should I set up the fogger?
    If misting works, I'd stick with misting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thank you so so much! 💕
    I’ll follow the guide once I get home

I put a cork wall in there that I had for the bigger tank, she seemed to like it as she came out to take a look, do you recommend something else?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast