Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,144

2 members and 3,142 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Hi! New to Ball Pythons!

Hello everyone.

My young son is about the be the proud new owner of a ball python. We own a veritable zoo, and so the first thing I do is join a forum on whatever it is we are keeping. So, I am going to be his liaison to forum help. He is calling his new buddy Noodles. We’ve been working on the set up for a few weeks now, and are excited to head to Repticon tomorrow to fill the enclosure. We are looking forward being part of the community and learning. Thanks for having us!

Kat

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-22-2022),EL-Ziggy (10-24-2022),YungRasputin (10-22-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Awesome- we're glad to have you join us, & we look forward to meeting "Noodles" too.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks
    i vish to see ze Noodles
    het for nothing but groovy

5. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-22-2022)

Thanks

Re: Hi! New to Ball Pythons!

So, I do art to stuff and I seriously considered creating a custom hide that looked like a Ramen Noodle package. It was all too fitting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GuardianHunter View Post
    So, I do art to stuff and I seriously considered creating a custom hide that looked like a Ramen Noodle package. It was all too fitting.
    Yeah, that would be very cute!

Thanks
    Well, noodles happened. Kiddo fell in love with this fellow. [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-23-2022),EL-Ziggy (10-24-2022),Homebody (10-24-2022),YungRasputin (10-24-2022)

Thanks
    Very nice choice! And I assume you know not to handle a new snake until he has "settled in" & preferably has taken food preferably 3 times at normal (weekly) intervals without refusals (unless in shed, then refusing food is normal)? This is very hard even for adults, but miserable for most kids. But handling can put them off eating, & that's the most important thing- their health & the functioning of their immune system. And there's nothing so frustrating as a snake that won't eat...trust me.

Looks like you've fixed up a nice home already too- -the only issue is that it's a better idea to avoid all the fancy substrate & hides & just use white paper towels on the floor for the first month or so & ONLY plastic hides, just IN CASE he brought snake mites home with him- otherwise, they can hide everywhere. I'm hoping that doesn't happen (but sadly it does all too often, since things get passed around at expos, even if the seller you bought from had no such issues), & at least mites should show up pretty well on this guy, except on his head. But do keep a watch anyway- mite eggs are tiny & part of the problem too- & snake mites can kill snakes, especially young & smaller ones, & they can multiply faster than you'd think- exponentially. They also carry diseases. So do stay vigilant.

I hope you remembered to ask the source/breeder/seller exactly what this snake is eating reliably? (as in mice or rats, live or f/t, & size) And the hatch date is good to know also.

And sorry if all this is already well-understood by you- but since you're new around here, I don't want things to go unmentioned, because above all, we want you to have SUCCESS with your new snake- so don't take what I've said to be a buzz-kill, ok? It's not intended that way at all- we just aim to help.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-23-2022 at 06:20 PM.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

EL-Ziggy (10-24-2022),Homebody (10-24-2022)

Thanks

First, thank you so much for the response. That takes time to type out, and it’s why I love forums so much. People on them are here for the love and passion of the subject. So, thank you so much for the detailed response. I’ll go ahead and give a rundown below:

So, we are a homeschool family and have spent the last month doing a unit in Ball Pythons and their care. Obviously, we are novices. My kid (8) just gave a Facebook presentation on why they make good pets. I digress.

setup: regarding mites, I looked super close at him, but at this point I guess we just hope he is ok. I didn’t see anything crawling around on his white part. I made the hides out of plastic bowls from dollar tree, so I can always chunk them and make more. They were only like six bucks.

20 gallon with sliding lid (tank was given and will be used for the next year. We would like a pvc upgrade)
    heat pad with thermostat set to about 88-90. We are tweaking heat some. The lid has foil tape for humidity control and heat retention. Humidity is 60% on the cooler side, but the warm side is tough because of the overhead heat. We may add a humid hide.

ceramic heat emitter on warm side— ambient temp of about 87. Cool side is around 78-80. The heat rock is non functioning and only decor. We didn’t trust it and chopped the cable just to use it for a little basking place.

he takes frozen food and is on rat fuzzies, which we picked up at repticon. The seller said he’s taken about 14 meals so far. I sent an email about an hour ago for some clarifying questions on actual hatch day.

I let the kiddo handle him for a few minutes before we got him into his setup because I knew we couldn’t hang onto him at first. We are going to offer him a meal after about a week of just not doing anything with him, and from there just gradually allow him to get used to our hands being around the tank but not on him.

im sure I’m forgetting something. But, it gives you an idea of kind of where we are. Commentary is most welcome and appreciated.

Kat

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GuardianHunter For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-29-2022),Bogertophis (10-23-2022),EL-Ziggy (10-24-2022),Homebody (10-24-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-23-2022)

Thanks
    Sounds to me like you all did a good job on your "homework"- The plastic hides are just fine- normally there's nowhere for mites or their eggs to hide & they're easy to wash. I couldn't tell from the photos what all you might have in the tank- with mites, you need to worry about the organic stuff as far as them hiding or stowing eggs away- those tree-bark tunnels, natural branches, moss, & all substrates other than white paper towels, which are disposable anyway. Or anything with texture (hiding places) like the old heat rock- though that could be soaked anyway, since it's non-functioning.

Real or fake plants have all sorts of hiding places too, though fake plants could be treated in a container full of soapy water & then rinsed after a very long soak- one that's long enough to fully drown* parasites. (* And IF it comes to that, a bit of soap- like dish soap- is essential just to break the surface tension of the water, which allows mites to swim or float & survive- but with no surface tension, they do drown. Real plants would have soil too, presumably, so here's to HOPING there's no snake mites- the plants look lovely. But as you can tell, we're all about health & safety first for our pets. Snake mites are just a nightmare we hope everyone will avoid, because if they're so numerous that they require pesticide to eradicate, that's also a risk for the snake.

Mites are tiny enough to hide under a snake's scales- & they're quite sneaky- hiding around the edges of their eyes, in or near nostrils or cloaca, under their chin...all the places that are hard to look. About the size of the point of a pin- they can be black, brown or red, with the color coming from their blood meal. So keep looking closely for any "moving specs" & also watch the water bowl too- sometimes they fall off in there.

Wonderful that he's had so many meals already- & is already on f/t. (which is our shorthand for frozen-thawed) You're off to a great start, I'd say, & Noodles is a lucky snake.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-24-2022)

Thanks

I’ll watch for the mites. Hopefully we dodged them. Our hens had scaly leg mites once and they are AWFUL to get rid of. I don’t like any mites in any form. Ever. The only thing in the tank that would maybe be an issue would be the real tree branch. We baked it prior to going in the tank. Would the same treatment also destroy mites, if they rear their ugly heads?

We noticed Noodles had the tiniest bit of stuck shed on his tail tip
    on the way home. I told my kid “and THAT is why you find a community.” We used you guys on the drive home to figure out how to get it off before he went into his enclosure. So thanks for everything y’all do. Y’all make our lives easier.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast