Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 977

3 members and 974 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

You See a Venomous Black Widow. These Lizards See a Snack

You See a Venomous Black Widow. These Lizards See a Snack.
    Southern California’s alligator lizards eat the arachnids with abandon, and seem to have evolved immunity to their toxins.

The western black widow spider (Latrodectus hesperus) may spin a disorderly web, but the silk is sticky and strong, capable of ensnaring small vertebrates. The venom is as potent as that of a rattlesnake, easily killing small animals. Credit...Robert W. Hansen

By Veronique Greenwood
    New York Times
    Oct. 18, 2022

They lurk in the woodshed, the crawl space and the closet you should have cleaned out. Their glossy black bodies are marked with a ruby hourglass, and they’ve pierced many an unwary thumb with their fangs. As hidden menaces go, black widow spiders are not aggressive — you often have to actually pinch or squeeze one to get it to attack — but their venom makes bites extremely painful to humans, and to small animals like mice, fatal.

It’s difficult to believe that anything would want to make a meal of such a venomous arachnid, but in California and other Western states, the alligator lizard snarfs up widows like crunchy black popcorn.

That fascinated Chris Feldman, now a professor of biology at the University of Nevada, Reno, who first read about the lizards snacking on black widows as a graduate student. Although widow venom is harmless when eaten, the lizards are most likely bitten as they subdue their prey. Were they somehow immune?

In a paper published Wednesday in Royal Society Open Science, Dr. Feldman and his colleagues tried to answer this question in experiments involving three lizard species and a tiny racetrack. Their results suggest that over the course of a long history living with the spiders, alligator lizards have evolved a remarkable ability to shrug off widow venom.

Despite the lethal effects of black widow spider venom, the southern alligator lizard (Elgaria multicarinata) is seemingly immune to the toxin. Credit...Robert W. Hansen

In the warm environments where widows thrive in the American West, lizards are their near neighbors. Black widows even eat small lizards, which may get tangled in their webs, Dr. Feldman said. To see whether different species might have evolved protection, he, Vicki Thill, a graduate student, and their collaborators brought alligator lizards and Western fence lizards, both of which eat widows, and the side-blotched lizard, which widows have been known to eat, into the lab. There, they injected the lizards with black widow venom and had them run along a small racetrack to see whether the venom affected their speed.

The side-blotched lizard did slow down, showing that the venom was having some effect. But though some of them had received enough venom to kill five mice, alligator lizards and fence lizards showed no change at all.

“They were pretty much unimpaired,” said Mike Teglas, also a professor at Reno and an author of the paper. “We were pretty excited.”

Next, the researchers examined the muscle tissue in the lizards’ legs. In mammals, black widow venom kills muscle cells and leaves a spreading wake of damage around the bite. Fence lizards and side-blotched lizards had some signs of muscle injury and inflammation. But in alligator lizards, the muscle looked completely untouched. It was as if the venom had never been injected.

The western fence lizard (Sceloporus occidentalis), readily preys on widows, although it showed some signs of injury from feeding on them. Credit...Jim Parham

“My guess is that the alligator lizards may have something that circulates in their serum — in their blood — that works right away,” Dr. Feldman said, meaning that some compound could be neutralizing or whisking away the venom before it does any damage.

California kingsnakes, which occasionally eat rattlesnakes, have evolved just such a defense, he points out.

“They have these giant proteins in their blood that bind to proteins in rattlesnake venom that render them useless,” he said.

Further experiments with other lizard species, still unpublished, suggested that whatever protection the alligator lizard has, it is a result of its long association with the spiders — many species that don’t prey on black widows were much more susceptible to the creatures’ venom.

Exploring exactly how the alligator lizard achieves this feat will probably have to wait until its genome is sequenced, which will make it easier to see what it has that related species don’t. In the meantime, Dr. Feldman wonders whether more studies of just how many spiders the lizards eat in the wild can help reveal the origins of the trait.

Dr. Feldman said he was first inspired to study the alligator lizard’s appetites after reading a letter to the journal Science written in 1937 by a herpetologist. The scientist was responding to a proposed plan to control black widows in Southern California by introducing cane toads and suggested the area’s alligator lizards were a better fit.

What was poorly understood at the time was that the toads are voracious invasive species, and poisonous too. They’ve decimated ecosystems where, in the 20th century, they were introduced to help control insects.

Luckily, California avoided that particular scourge. The alligator lizards and their prey live on together, as they have since time out of mind.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-19-2022 at 09:10 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-19-2022),Animallover3541 (10-19-2022),Aspen0122 (10-19-2022),Bogertophis (10-19-2022),Erie_herps (10-19-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: You See a Venomous Black Widow. These Lizards See a Snack

What a amazing story Hb! Thanks.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (10-19-2022),Homebody (10-19-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    What a amazing story Hb! Thanks.
    "Lizards Eat Spiders" is not exactly breaking news, but I thought it was a well written article and I loved the pictures.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (10-19-2022)

Thanks

Used to live in NM, there are Fence Lizards EVERYWHERE as well as horned toads, five-lined racers, and broadhead skinks.
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aspen0122 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-19-2022),Homebody (10-19-2022)

Thanks

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aspen0122 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-19-2022),Bogertophis (10-19-2022),Homebody (10-19-2022)

Thanks
    I used to live in an area with a lot of Widows. I didn't get lizards, I got chickens. Chickens eat EVERYTHING. Ten free-range chickens later, I no longer found spiders or scorpions in the house on a daily basis. Plus they produced eggs, were highly interactive, kept the weeds grazed down, and didn't wander off to naturalize on their own. Black Widows, Brown Widows, Recluse, scorpions, Mormon Crickets (actually not a cricket, but a katydid), Jerusalem Crickets (if you've never seen these, look them up, they're weird), fire ants... They all like to live in the high desert of Northern Nevada. Chickens also eat small reptiles, including venomous species, though as far as I know mine never did. They don't seem to be bothered by any of them. Truly tiny velociraptors... I'm highly reactive to venom - even a bite from a wolf spider or fire ant makes me sick for at least a week - so I had an invested interest in the most effective reduction method.

Much simpler and more effective than releasing lizards or toads. Those are some very interesting lizards... but I don't think they'd survive well in the wild where I currently live (too wet), unlike chickens! Maybe nice as a pet, but I wouldn't feed it black widows. I do feel sorry for the 'other lizards' that were 'experimented' on which... did not have resistance to Black Widow venom. Hopefully they were euthanized quickly when the lack of resistance was clear, rather than suffering extensively from it.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (10-19-2022),Bogertophis (10-19-2022),Homebody (10-19-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Argentum View Post
    I used to live in an area with a lot of Widows. I didn't get lizards, I got chickens. Chickens eat EVERYTHING. Ten free-range chickens later, I no longer found spiders or scorpions in the house on a daily basis. Plus they produced eggs, were highly interactive, kept the weeds grazed down, and didn't wander off to naturalize on their own. Black Widows, Brown Widows, Recluse, scorpions, Mormon Crickets (actually not a cricket, but a katydid), Jerusalem Crickets (if you've never seen these, look them up, they're weird), fire ants... They all like to live in the high desert of Northern Nevada. Chickens also eat small reptiles, including venomous species, though as far as I know mine never did. They don't seem to be bothered by any of them. Truly tiny velociraptors... I'm highly reactive to venom - even a bite from a wolf spider or fire ant makes me sick for at least a week - so I had an invested interest in the most effective reduction method.

Much simpler and more effective than releasing lizards or toads. Those are some very interesting lizards... but I don't think they'd survive well in the wild where I currently live (too wet), unlike chickens! Maybe nice as a pet, but I wouldn't feed it black widows. I do feel sorry for the 'other lizards' that were 'experimented' on which... did not have resistance to Black Widow venom. Hopefully they were euthanized quickly when the lack of resistance was clear, rather than suffering extensively from it.

We had a flock of free-range chickens and ducks for a long time until a harsh winter came along. They ate everything, like you said, they aren't picky. After it would rain, the ducks would go out and eat all of the worms from off of the driveway. The chickens used to eat snake eggs that they dug up in the dirt pile outside. They also ate tiny copperheads in the creek when they went down there. They also tend to try and eat crawfish, but that doesn't end too well.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aspen0122 For This Useful Post:

Argentum (10-19-2022),Bogertophis (10-19-2022),Homebody (10-19-2022)