Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,147

1 members and 2,146 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2

Thread: Uhhh...

Thanks

Uhhh...

I went to check on Waffles this morning and she wasn't there. I checked every single burrowing spot, she wasn't there. Her food wasn't touched, and it looked like there was a disturbance in the leaves outside of her enclosure. I think a raccoon may have reached through the fence and took her out....
    🕷️ 🆆🅰🅽🅽🅰 🅷🆄🅽🆃 🅵🅾🆁 🅲🆁🆈🅿🆃🅸🅳🆂? 🕷️

🕷️ 🅹🆄🅼🅿🅸🅽🅶 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🅴🅽🆃🅷🆄🆂🅸🅰🆂🆃 🕷️

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

🕷️ Be nice to spiders! They never did anything to hurt you! 🕷️

Thanks
    Thanked 2,177 Times in 1,174 Posts

Re: Uhhh...

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen0122 View Post
    I went to check on Waffles this morning and she wasn't there. I checked every single burrowing spot, she wasn't there. Her food wasn't touched, and it looked like there was a disturbance in the leaves outside of her enclosure. I think a raccoon may have reached through the fence and took her out....
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you're wrong about the raccoon and that she turns up.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-17-2022 at 11:33 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-18-2022),Bogertophis (10-17-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear this. I hope you're wrong about the raccoon and that she turns up.
    Me too.

🕷️ "🆃🅷🅴 🅽🅴🆇🆃 🆃🅸🅼🅴 🆈🅾🆄 🆂🅴🅴 🅰 🆂🅿🅸🅳🅴🆁 🆆🅴🅱, 🅿🅻🅴🅰🆂🅴, 🅿🅰🆄🆂🅴 🅰🅽🅳 🅻🅾🅾🅺 🅰 🅻🅸🆃🆃🅻🅴 🅲🅻🅾🆂🅴🆁. 🆈🅾🆄'🅻🅻 🅱🅴 🆂🅴🅴🅸🅽🅶 🅾🅽🅴 🅾🅵 🆃🅷🅴 🅼🅾🆂🆃 🅷🅸🅶🅷-🅿🅴🆁🅵🅾🆁🅼🅰🅽🅲🅴 🅼🅰🆃🅴🆁🅸🅰🅻🆂 🅺🅽🅾🆆🅽 🆃🅾 🅼🅰🅽." 🕷️

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Have you looked around the yard? You'd be surprised how good chelonians can be at escaping. I thought I finally escaped proof my red eared sliders tank but alas she escaped and tore out a claw. Turtles can move fast, but not super fast. They may still be around there and if something really did get them you should be able to notice some sort of disturbance with the enclosure or on the ground around it.

Best of luck to you!
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-18-2022),Aspen0122 (10-18-2022),Bogertophis (10-17-2022),Homebody (10-17-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Have you looked around the yard? You'd be surprised how good chelonians can be at escaping. I thought I finally escaped proof my red eared sliders tank but alas she escaped and tore out a claw. Turtles can move fast, but not super fast. They may still be around there and if something really did get them you should be able to notice some sort of disturbance with the enclosure or on the ground around it.

Best of luck to you!
    I'm sorry, it appears I skipped over the part where you mentioned the disturbance. Still, I would look in the area around there as she would likely be close if she did escape.
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 10-17-2022 at 12:59 PM.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Aspen0122 (10-18-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts
    "I checked every single burrowing spot"

It is hibernating season coming on strong. The turtle could be dug in anywhere there is marginally diggable soil. Depending on where in the US you are this could be more or less relevant; ours have been indoors for weeks now.

If the fence is such that a raccoon could get the turtle out, the turtle could have gotten out on its own. Are the holes in the mesh large enough to jam the turtle through? Is the top of the enclosure uncovered? If the answer to either of these is 'yes', then the turtle could well have gotten through the mesh or climbed out (they are known to climb a few feet easily, and I don't doubt this at all).

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-18-2022),Animallover3541 (10-18-2022),Armiyana (10-18-2022),Aspen0122 (10-18-2022),Bogertophis (10-17-2022),Homebody (10-17-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post

Best of luck to you!
    I'll try to look

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    "I checked every single burrowing spot"

It is hibernating season coming on strong. The turtle could be dug in anywhere there is marginally diggable soil. Depending on where in the US you are this could be more or less relevant; ours have been indoors for weeks now.

If the fence is such that a raccoon could get the turtle out, the turtle could have gotten out on its own. Are the holes in the mesh large enough to jam the turtle through? Is the top of the enclosure uncovered? If the answer to either of these is 'yes', then the turtle could well have gotten through the mesh or climbed out (they are known to climb a few feet easily, and I don't doubt this at all).

There is a roof on the enclosure and I checked to see if she can get out of the fence and I can't even stick my tiny little hand through the fence.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Aspen0122 View Post
    There is a roof on the enclosure and I checked to see if she can get out of the fence and I can't even stick my tiny little hand through the fence.
    If there is no opening large enough for the turtle to pass through, then the turtle is in the enclosure. I presume the enclosure cannot be tunneled out of, under the fence.