Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,036

2 members and 3,034 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Snake Discovery Video on Treating Lizards with Eye Infections

In this video, Emily and Ed treat a rescue water dragon and leopard gecko with eye infections. It makes a compelling point about the importance of giving lizards the proper vitamins.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Snake Discovery Video on Treating Lizards with Eye Infections

Thanks for sharing!
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-12-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    I actually have had so many issues with rescue leos with vitamin A deficiency too. Weirdly a majority of the ones I see are albinos, so maybe just a weird coincidence? The worst was almost as bad as the leo she had.
    I've seen it a few times in red ear sliders too...

Even after explaining why I wanted people to pick up vitamins while working box store, I would have so many people complaining about leos only needing calcium 9_9;
    I think a lot of people are of the assumption that bugs are enough vitaminwise? No clue...

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022),Homebody (10-12-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-12-2022)

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Yes yes yes PLEASE supplement vitamin A for your reptiles! Especially albinos! You would not believe how many animals with eye infections or other eyes issues come into the clinic when their condition was preventable with proper diet and husbandry. Albinos seem to either be more sensitive to light, have some weird genetic thing going on with their eyes, or both.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Armiyana (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022),Homebody (10-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    PLEASE supplement vitamin A for your reptiles! Especially albinos!
    Isn't this overbroad? I've never heard of vitamin A supplementation for snakes.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-12-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts
    That is indeed way overbroad. Absolutely do not add Vitamin A to the diets of rodent eating reptiles without an identified (tested) deficiency. Rodents already contain too much Vitamin A. Actually, routine supplementation of any vitamin or mineral in rodent prey diets is inadvisable without a tested deficiency. More is patently not better.

Vitamin supplementation always needs to be tailored to the needs of the species at issue, and the diet of that species.

• Some herp species should receive D3 through UVB; others do well on dietary intake of D3
    • Some diets contain enough A (and/or D, and/or calcium); adding more is contraindicated
    • Some species can convert carotenoids to Vitamin A; some cannot; some do but not efficiently
    • Some diets require calcium supplementation; of those, some are best supplemented with calcium carbonate (insects), some with calcium phosphate (herbivores)
    • and so on

All claims to the effect that 'all captive reptiles should have X added to their diet' are incorrect, not based in fact, and dangerous.

Specific to the Vitamin A issue: back in the 80s, lots of turtles were incorrectly dosed with Vitamin A, leading to losses, which led to a bandwagon jumping movement (these still happen, with the same predictable effects) to use only beta carotene for Vitamin A in herps, which led to (and still leads to, with legacy supplement products) losses in species (amphibians are the ones I'm familiar with) that can't convert carotenoids.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Armiyana (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022),Homebody (10-12-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    Because rodents are such a handy package, it tends to be a non-issue in snakes.
    (Though I remember something about skin slipping disease possibly being a genetic vitamin absorption issue?) And probably not as big an issue in other species eating rodents.

The downside is there are many animals that are not getting enough vitamin a or sometimes d and that can lead to the eye problems seen in the 2 lizards shown in the video link.

I personally I have dealt with 8 leopard geckos with vitamin A related eye issues... 6 of which were albinos. this is over the period of years where only 2 of the rescues I took in were MBD/calcium deficient. Everyone says to calcium dust crix. A fraction of that will use a multivitamin.

The turtles I would see were all through the box shop I worked. So they would head to the vet, get a few injections and terramycin tubes to give and right as rain in a few weeks. But again, vitamin supplement was needed.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-12-2022),Bogertophis (10-12-2022),Homebody (10-12-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    That is indeed way overbroad. Absolutely do not add Vitamin A to the diets of rodent eating reptiles without an identified (tested) deficiency. Rodents already contain too much Vitamin A. Actually, routine supplementation of any vitamin or mineral in rodent prey diets is inadvisable without a tested deficiency. More is patently not better.

Vitamin supplementation always needs to be tailored to the needs of the species at issue, and the diet of that species.

• Some herp species should receive D3 through UVB; others do well on dietary intake of D3
    • Some diets contain enough A (and/or D, and/or calcium); adding more is contraindicated
    • Some species can convert carotenoids to Vitamin A; some cannot; some do but not efficiently
    • Some diets require calcium supplementation; of those, some are best supplemented with calcium carbonate (insects), some with calcium phosphate (herbivores)
    • and so on

All claims to the effect that 'all captive reptiles should have X added to their diet' are incorrect, not based in fact, and dangerous.

Specific to the Vitamin A issue: back in the 80s, lots of turtles were incorrectly dosed with Vitamin A, leading to losses, which led to a bandwagon jumping movement (these still happen, with the same predictable effects) to use only beta carotene for Vitamin A in herps, which led to (and still leads to, with legacy supplement products) losses in species (amphibians are the ones I'm familiar with) that can't convert carotenoids.
    Thanks for the clarification and expounding on it!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Isn't this overbroad? I've never heard of vitamin A supplementation for snakes.
    Thank you for the correction and clarification!

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post

• and so on

I didn't mean supplement snakes, I meant Chelonians and lizards. Unfortunately, there are limited studies regarding reptile nutrition so the specifics of each species are not well know. Personally, I feel that a 3:1 ratio of calcium dusting to vitamin mix on gut loaded feeders is enough for the majority of reptiles, although as I said albinos can sometimes need more.

Always talk to your vet if you think you have a dietary issue. I've rarely seen hypervitaminosis, although I saw a beardie the other day that was having D3 added to their diet as well as having UVB which was obviously a problem. Again, I did not mean to suggest that snakes need added vitamins, I was referring to lizards and chelonians. Many people skip on gut loading or dusting which are the two main issues. If both steps are taken then the animals should be fine. Sometimes with aquatic turtles it can be harder because dusting on veggies and insects comes off in the water, so you have to be very careful about choosing the right pellet brand and vegetables to give them.
    Last edited by Animallover3541; 10-13-2022 at 09:03 AM.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-13-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast