Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 571

0 members and 571 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
    Thanks

Will my male be big enough to pair with my female?

Pretty new to breeding, my female (OD, YB) came to us gravid earlier this year and laid 7 eggs, I bought her to breed with my super pastel Gravel to make myself a highway. I bought my male last year weighing 69g but he’s a good feeder and has rarely refused a feed. He seems to be a slow grower compared to other males I have that are the same age. He’s now weighing just under 500g. I was hoping to pair him to my female in December/January so hopefully by then he will be a bit heavier. I hear mixed things about what weight males should be to breed, my other CB 21 males are closer to the 700g + mark. Do I risk putting him to my female and maybe not getting a clutch? I don’t really have anything else to go with her (or nothing as exciting as gravel). Do I pair her with 2 snakes incase my gravel isn’t producing sperm yet?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Banjoballs12 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 824 Posts
    500 is a bit on the small side but not unheard of...

If you 'pop' him, you should be able to tell if he's producing sperm or not, because you'll get a plug. It's almost like a booger. white to pale yellow or tan in color.

If you DO decide to go ahead and try it...
    The thing I would be more concerned about isn't him producing sperm or not.
    it's just the stress of breeding. You will need to keep a very close eye on his feeding habits and body condition. If e stops eating for some reason or starts dropping weight in any way I would take him off rotation right away. For a 700+ male you would still want to watch for the same thing, but especially for one that is still on the developing side it's more concerning.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 10-05-2022 at 10:10 AM.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022),nikkubus (10-06-2022)

Thanks

Re: Will my male be big enough to pair with my female?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    500 is a bit on the small side but not unheard of...

If you 'pop' him, you should be able to tell if he's producing sperm or not, because you'll get a plug. It's almost like a booger. white to pale yellow or tan in color.

If you DO decide to go ahead and try it...
    The thing I would be more concerned about isn't him producing sperm or not.
    it's just the stress of breeding. You will need to keep a very close eye on his feeding habits and body condition. If e stops eating for some reason or starts dropping weight in any way I would take him off rotation right away. For a 700+ male you would still want to watch for the same thing, but especially for one that is still on the developing side it's more concerning.

Thank you, would I be better off waiting until Jan/feb to pair? Will my female ovulate roughly the same time as last year? I weighed him tonight and he’s weighing in at 512g, he has gained around 80g in a month so technical should be up to 700g by the end of the year? Obviously if he’s not ready I won’t put him too he and could look at pairing her with another male. I was just super excited about making a highway.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Will my male be big enough to pair with my female?

I would wait to try for the animal that I really want to produce. There are several variables in any females timeline as far as building follicles , becoming receptive , triggers in the environment also, availability of food, even atmospheric pressures. So, it’s a good idea to keep your plans on what you really want. Males also need certain triggers to stimulate them as well. A recent shed from a female and excretory secretions that contain pheromones.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-06-2022 at 12:51 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-06-2022),Homebody (10-06-2022),nikkubus (10-06-2022)