Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,183

0 members and 3,183 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

Best Time to Pick Up

When Roxy wants to be left alone in her humid hid I don’t bother her at all. And obviously I know after feedings or going through shed like behavior to leave her be. Also not overdoing it multiple times a day even though she seems to really enjoy being with me and can safely Say she is trusting of me. I’ve let friends and family pet her but when they offer their hands her out she just wraps around me and doesn’t wanna leave.

For the most part I pick her up/approach her when she’s comfy in her hide. But is it OK when she is moving around on the hunt or what feels like trying to get my attention for more food?

Also considering she’s young should I stick to only handling her a few days a week? I see a lot of literature saying only handle your snake no more three times a week. Others say once day is a good thing.

Looking to get maximum time socializing her but also there are plenty of spans of time where I can’t pick her up anyway. She’s not jumpy around me And like to think she enjoys my company lol

But I just don’t want to be reading into it wrong and adding any additional stress to her life.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Re: Best Time to Pick Up

In my experience Royal/ Ball Pythons don’t need nor mind handling

Mine only get weighed when I clean out their vivs and they are always calm and placid .

Just make sure a new snake has had a good few feeds before any handling .

The best time for nervous / inexperienced keeper to try and handle a Royal / Ball Python is during the day whilst they are asleep ( nocturnal)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-04-2022),Homebody (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,825 Times in 11,844 Posts
    I prefer not to bother a snake when they're feeling safe & secure in their hides. For the same reason I'd react badly for someone coming to my door selling something at 2 am when I'm asleep. When you lift up their hide, a snake is instantly feeling exposed, afraid & potentially defensive. I much prefer to approach & pick up a snake that's already awake, at least- & preferably moving around in their enclosures (-most of my snakes are more active than BPs though).

And of course, I don't handle a snake for at least a day after they've eaten- preferably 2+ days after (depending on the size of their meal).
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-04-2022 at 10:15 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-04-2022),Homebody (10-04-2022),Kryptic (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,183 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    When Roxy wants to be left alone in her humid hid I don’t bother her at all. And obviously I know after feedings or going through shed like behavior to leave her be. Also not overdoing it multiple times a day even though she seems to really enjoy being with me and can safely Say she is trusting of me. I’ve let friends and family pet her but when they offer their hands her out she just wraps around me and doesn’t wanna leave.

For the most part I pick her up/approach her when she’s comfy in her hide. But is it OK when she is moving around on the hunt or what feels like trying to get my attention for more food?

Also considering she’s young should I stick to only handling her a few days a week? I see a lot of literature saying only handle your snake no more three times a week. Others say once day is a good thing.

Looking to get maximum time socializing her but also there are plenty of spans of time where I can’t pick her up anyway. She’s not jumpy around me And like to think she enjoys my company lol

But I just don’t want to be reading into it wrong and adding any additional stress to her life.
    The short answer to the question, “When is the best time to pick up your ball python?” is when your ball python chooses to be picked up. Let me explain. [Gets out soap box.]

As we all know, allowing herself to be handled is not natural for your ball python. In the wild, only predators handle snakes, and it usually ends badly for them. As a result, being handled is instinctually stressful for them. As pets in our homes, though, they need to be handled. At times, proper care requires it. At other times, it’s simply for our enjoyment. So, as part of the process of incorporating a snake into your family, the snake needs to learn to tolerate handling. There are a couple different ways to do this.

You can patiently wait for your snake to choose to be handled, or you can force your snake to be handled. The choice-based approach requires patience, but it’s less stressful because your snake is never forced to do something she doesn’t want to do. Your snake’s natural curiosity will drive it to investigate you. Eventually, she will learn that you are not to be feared and tolerate your handling. The more forceful approach forces your snake to experience handling. While initially more stressful, your snake will soon learn that there is nothing to be afraid of and tolerate your handling. You just need to be careful not to force handling on your snake to the point where it is distressed. Here’s a link to a handy chart to help you recognize the difference between stress and distress. Repeatedly distressing your snake will lead her to become unhealthy and unhandleable.

Personally, I’m more of a choice-based guy, but I wouldn’t consider myself a purist. The more forceful approach has a place and a time. One distinct advantage of the choice-based approach is that you don’t need to wonder if you are handling your snake too often. Your snake can self-regulate its handling. If you’d like to learn more about the choice-based approach, Lori Torrini has an excellent introductory video here. [Puts away soap box]

So, I wouldn’t handle her if she’s hiding. I would take that as an indication that she doesn’t want to be handled. When you want to handle her, open the enclosure. If she crawls toward you, I’d take that as a sign she wants to be handled. If she crawls away, leave her alone. If you let your ball python choose when she gets handled, you can’t go wrong.
    Last edited by Homebody; 10-04-2022 at 11:31 AM.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-04-2022),Malum Argenteum (10-05-2022)

Thanks
    Great Info and encouragement everybody! I’ve been so happy that I made a decision to get a BP during this complicated time in my life. It’s not only something to care for but has added a lot of enrichment to my life.

The only time I felt a had to deal with her somewhat aggressively was when I was cleaning her enclosure and I had to get to her out of her humid hide. But her disposition was calm and cool after the fact. Understandably I wasn’t going to disinfect and clean everything without properly dealing with the mossy hide.

I haven’t needed to be forceful whatsoever otherwise Although I have a feeling she really does not like the misting spray bottle -lol

After I have handled her I allow her to re-enter her enclosure on her own accord and usually pet/stroke/speak to her for a bit. She doesn’t flinch and sometimes curiously inspects my wrist and arm while I do it like she wants to come back. I’ve taken all these responses as really good signs that I am properly socializing her.

The other night while she was on the hunt I really wanted to pick her up but wasn’t sure if BP’s like to be bothered when they are exploring or in “mode” It was like if a snake could do puppy dog eyes she was definitely trying to get my attention. I wasn’t sure if taking those opportunities to play would be confusing her natural food drive. So thank you so much for the info. Everybody on the board has been great assisting me in raising a happy and hungry little girl!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2022),dakski (10-04-2022),Homebody (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    I agree- many snakes (such as BPs) are rather undemanding & mellow pets whose care may help us keep our focus on positive things in our lives. I've often found that the mindset I need to reassure a shy snake while handling them actually reduces my own stress as well. Many kinds of pets help us be "in the moment", but snakes also require less maintenance than most others. To me, snakes are a "win-win", & the longer you keep & observe your snakes, the easier they are to "read".

Spraying a water mist is something I use now & then to let an excited (hungry) snake know that food is NOT being delivered right now. BUT, I'm not currently keeping BPs, & I agree that BPs probably don't appreciate being misted (because it gets in their heat sensing pits?), whereas my rat snakes don't mind at all- in fact, they'll often happily drink from a spray mist (but it still "changes the channel" about food). It just comes down to knowing your snake (s)- their species & personal preferences. Your BP may enjoy the humidity when the enclosure is misted, but not if you actually mist them personally. That's OK- now you know.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 10-04-2022 at 07:50 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

D-.No (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Oh I didn’t know that about the spray and the sensing pits! Aside from hitting her humid hide when needed I usually spray the top of her enclosure (tub) when I have to up the humidity.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by D-.No View Post
    Oh I didn’t know that about the spray and the sensing pits! Aside from hitting her humid hide when needed I usually spray the top of her enclosure (tub) when I have to up the humidity.
    That's just my guess- no snake has ever personally confided that to me- But I don't recall a BP ever drinking from a water spray to their face- whereas my rat snakes happily will. I've kept many kinds of snakes- they're not the same, & it keeps things interesting. Also, a water spray is usually pretty cool, & BPs like to be warmer than most of my snakes do. So it might be the chill factor also?

Thanks
    It’s true! She’s a little heat hog, sometimes I wonder if I’m over doing it but she spends very little time on her cool side. I have additional side heating Considering her tub is a little high and our living space is not the most ideal for a tropical animal. So it took a little ingenuity to keep the enclosure set where I wanted it. Sometimes I catch her on the side panel heating pad that has a gauge but not a thermostat and she’ll be all up on the only 105° part of the area one of her little suctioned cup branches.
    She seems to love her home- Plenty to hide and roam and she’s always displaying positive behavior from what the board “experts” say- hehe

15. The Following User Says Thank You to D-.No For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-04-2022)