Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 517

0 members and 517 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 824 Posts

Ratios and odds gods~

So 2 clutches into ball python breeding and I already have some odd luck.

My first clutch, I was hoping for a BEL female. I somehow ended up with 4 white snakes. 3 pastel BEL and one Pastel Lesser Special. All males.

This year, I thought would be different! I would get the orange ghost I was hoping for ...maybe something interesting! And hold back a female.
    Well....
    3 world's first snake from the look of it.
    Coral Glow Special Orange Ghost +?
    Coral Glow Special fire Orange Ghost +?
    And what looks to be Coral Glow Crystal Citrus Pastel Fire (possible Orange Ghost) I hope....beautiful snake.
    All males.

In fact out of 10 eggs between the two clutches. I have hatched 1 female. A tiny runt of a snake, but a cute one. orange Ghost Mojave Fire.

It's enough to make me wish they could be temp sexed like leopard geckos. Lol. All of my luck is hitting on some cool morphs, but I have so many males now. Lol

I almost wonder if it's just something about this particular male...
    Or will the opposite happen and next year I go swimming in female hatchlings?

Have any of you had weird luck or an odd streak with your animals or breeding projects?

Have the odds gods been kind to you? Rngeezus likes to laugh at me.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Argentum (10-03-2022),Bogertophis (10-03-2022),nikkubus (10-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I have heard rumors about temps but nothing drastic has been substantiated. I think some studies were able to tell like 3-10% increase in one sex or another based on temps. As far as specific males throwing a lot of one sex, I've seen and heard a lot of that, so you could be dealing with a male that really likes to throw more males. Overall I get about 1:1.

There seems to be an unwritten rule, when you want some specific thing in one sex, you will get it in the opposite sex. This has happened to me countless times.

I'll have some clutches with absolutely amazing morph/combo odds, some with awful ones, but generally it evens out. I seem to have particularly great luck finding random recessive morphs popping up I was not expecting and being baffled what is going on with ID's till I figure out "oh, this is a recessive I didn't know I had in my lines."

Congrats on some potential world's firsts!
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-05-2022),Argentum (10-03-2022),Armiyana (10-03-2022),Bogertophis (10-03-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thank you!

Hahah, well regardless I'm currently holding back 2 of those WF males....so hopefully if it was an issue with dad it won't be with them? XD

I just want to have some cool holdback females too....lol

It would be interesting if incubation at 88 led to more males overall.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Argentum (10-04-2022),nikkubus (10-04-2022)

Thanks
    Not snakes... or lizards in this case... but chicken eggs can be manipulated by temperature. However, the results of the manipulation are still being studied, and instead of controlling gender designation, the effect is gender fatality. Changing the incubation temperature as little as one or two degrees in one direction can result in mostly male chicks hatching, while females die in the egg, and the opposite for the other direction. I believe it was considered as a way to reduce the number of male chicks from hatcheries that produce commercial egg-layers. Ultimately, it's less distressing to people if a bunch of unhatched chicks die and are disposed of, than if cute, fluffy male chicks are killed off. I can understand that, given how gruesome some of the methods for disposing of those chicks are...

I don't think anyone would want that for snakes, though - especially since it's better to get a clutch of all males than to get nothing at all!
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-04-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Yeah I would still prefer having a male noodle for a little while while selling vs nothing at all. they're so cute when they're babies ;u;

One day I would love a couple of chickens though! I'll have to remember the temp thing @_@;;

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-06-2022),Argentum (10-04-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: Ratios and odds gods~

Congrats on all the breeding successes and misses. I have had the most clutches produced this season than any other production in my whole time breeding. 6 clutches , although it’s been bittersweet in that I am chasing the illustrious clown piebald project but I’ve also never lost a egg until recently. I paired a orange dream fire het pied to a piebald, a pair of double het albino pieds, leopard clown to a super pastel het pied , Candino to a albino, red stripe yellowbelly 66% het clown to a banana yellowbelly. Enchi yellowbelly to a orange dream yellowbelly. I lost two banana red stripe hatchlings and a visual piebald to excessive heat when I moved my incubators into the garage for better access and room. The issue was the heat wave that hit us this summer not the malfunction or typical mechanical failures of the incubator itself. I thought the ceiling fan in the garage coupled with a box fan would be enough to keep the temps where they they needed to be. It wasn’t. And I lost a total of three hatchlings. I did get the ivory banana red stripe out of the clutch and also she has a hint of paradoxing. My leopard clown to super pastel het piebald clutch is awesome. So we need to remember these genetics are not a exact science but when we do produce hatchlings and there may be one or two unexpected genetic presentations maybe it’s a calling to go down a different road in production.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-04-2022 at 09:22 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-05-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thank you! Congrats on the productive year for yourself! Some of those pairings sound amazing.

A breeder I purchased from last year has an incubator overheat on them as well. They ended up having to put down a handful of hatchlings with bad kinks and a few others have very small kinks that didn't seem to be much of an issue to quality of life.

Not that I recommend a repeat experiment, but I do wonder if the paradox was just a typical fluke or if it did have to do with the temp spike. Kind of how temps can affect melanin on leopard gecko hatchlings.

I hope the ratios work well for you!
    I'm hoping that breeding a couple of different males this coming season gets me females. Hahaha

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

Thanks

Right. Thank you. The het clown pied clutch hatched out late but just by a couple of days and they all are perfect no deformities at all. All the other clutches are fine also. I’m really not sure the ivory red stripe is a true paradox or if it’s just a atypical coloration. Especially since it’s right at the tail tip beyond the cloacal region. But hey, I’ll take it and run with it. Surely the temperatures could have been the etiology of it but I’m glad that she’s so healthy in every respect imaginable. I’m waiting on the albino to Candino clutch to start pipping this week and see how they turn out. All three incubators in the garage were brought back into the house weeks ago and although they were on shaded shelves in the garage with both fans going it was still problematic. I certainly could’ve lost more but it was a learning experience for sure. I’ll post about the albino/ Candino results as soon as I see all have eggsited. Lol.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-05-2022 at 08:41 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-05-2022),Homebody (10-05-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

Thanks

The Candino / Albino clutch pipped and eggsited their respective shells and are looking very healthy with no effects of the extreme heat this summer as they incubated in the garage. Looks like 4 females and 2 males . The ones at 1:00 and 5:00 I think are albino and the darker more vibrant ones I believe are Candino. Have to wait for shed and a meal or two to definitively tell.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-10-2022),Bogertophis (10-10-2022),nikkubus (10-10-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Hey, congrats!

That's a great looking clutch to see. Especially with the worries you had!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-10-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast