Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,726

0 members and 2,726 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Special Needs Snek

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    By the way, we know this female ball python is a leopard. Do you know or can you find out if there is any other genetic material in her? Just curious. Can you share a picture of her for us? Did you say that the veterinarian that treated her didn’t find her to have a wobble during the exam?
    Do you know a place that does DNA testing on snakes to determine their specific genes? I would definitely be interested in exploring that. The wobble doesn't seem like the spider gene wobble to me, but I know they can differ in their presentation so I guess I don't really know.

I only noticed it once ever so slightly before I got her in a new setup, but then never again. Then about two weeks later (ish) is when I started noticing the wobble behavior in all it's glory. She was doing this weird movement with her upper body like she just ate and was pushing it down or like she was dizzy, and her head was falling side to side (not ever twisty/backwards) like it was too heavy for her body or like she was "nodding off" and hitting things.

Yes that's correct, the entire exam by the vet went smoothly, with no lack of coordination. It's as if when she is stressed or truly focused she doesn't let it take over. It's interesting. For example, when I would hold out her food, she became attentive, still and focused with no wobble apparent, (not the best aim tho), but then the overnight cam footage when she was alone not being bothered showed the motor skills issue.

*Ever since I deep cleaned out the bit of mold from the one log, and started antibiotics there has been a HUGE improvement in her coordination, so I am REALLY hoping the mold caused the wobble problem instead of the other option that it exacerbated a different underlying neuro problem. EXCEPT there wasn't any mold when I noticed it slightly the first time sooooo idk... maybe there is something underlying. Guess we won't know until after the treatment is completed.

Here are a few more photos of her...
    https://imgur.com/a/0b0PwU0
    JakBatt 🖤

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JakBatt For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-29-2022),Bogertophis (09-29-2022),Homebody (09-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,175 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JakBatt View Post
    Do you know a place that does DNA testing on snakes to determine their specific genes?
    See this recent thread.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-29-2022),Bogertophis (09-29-2022),JakBatt (09-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Morphmarket is also advertising a new laboratory genetics and sexual identification classification done by submitting shed skins also. It’s link and info are on the MM site.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-29-2022),Homebody (09-29-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12