Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 558

1 members and 557 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Ziggy31984 (40)

» Stats

Members: 75,014
Threads: 248,474
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, DetectiveIcarus
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: How to properly list pos het BPs

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    Hey so I was curious and could use a couple opinions on an the correct way to label pos het animals.

I have a enchi clown male that I've been using in my projects. He was sold to me as het albino also. I trust the breeder and they also went on to produce albino clowns the year after I bought him. I've been using him to make het clowns to hold back for myself and I thought if I prove out the albino later down the line cool and if not I don't really care.

Thanks,
    Sean
    paulh, hello. I believe the inference in the OP statement here is that the parents of his Enchi Clown het albino male went on to produce albino clowns. Thus solidifying the “ het “ status in his male. He never specifically said which parent of his Enchi Clown het albino male was either albino or het albino. It seems as he wanted the focus on his particular animal.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-30-2022 at 10:01 AM. Reason: Proofread.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    The OP wanted to know the most accurate way to label the babies from his ball python. The problem is the most accurate labeling of this snakes babies. Among other things, this non-albino snake was said to be het albino. Accurate labeling requires knowing the snake's genotype. The OP did not say that his snake's mother or father was an albino. He only said that the parents produced albinos in another clutch of eggs. That made me suspect that the OP's snake came from a het albino x het albino mating. If so, then the OP's snake is probably a het albino, but it is not certain that he is het albino. If I was certain that he is het albino, the most accurate label for his babies would be 50% probability het albino. As I am not certain that he is het albino, I think the most accurate label is possible het albino.
    Last edited by paulh; 10-01-2022 at 03:11 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-01-2022),Homebody (10-01-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 824 Posts
    I'm not saying the logic is flawed.
    I'm still just of the mind that claiming breeders are lying about what they told a customer is a turn off.

Maybe that just comes from the fact that the breeders I have purchased from have been wonderful. And that I myself am working towards trying to be on that level this just hits a bit harder?

I've only seen 2 breeders that I had been skeptical on. One claiming a clutch of super cinnies having issues wasn't related to the genetics and another claiming super Mojave possible special. Both of these were easy to spot as I am trying to be knowledgeable with the genes I'm working with.

So while I still personally feel it's a bit heavy handed to claim something like that about all breeders until proven otherwise....it is still something that a casual owner may need to be aware of and that trying to get the best idea on parentage is helpful

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-01-2022),paulh (10-02-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Re: How to properly list pos het BPs

Thank you, Armiyana. I will try to be less heavy handed in the future. I fear it came from all the flawed herper genetics web pages I have read over the years. And the number of times I've been told on forums that there is no such thing as a het pastel or het pinstripe ball python.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-02-2022),Bogertophis (10-02-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 824 Posts
    No worries! I just really like how civil and friendly this forum tends to be. And yeah.... that's like the old lingo vs the new lingo. Genetics can be so frustrating. And some are just really stubborn about it. If you had told me het pastel I would know what you mean. The super form being the homozygus form and all. I vaguely remember Kevin at NERD running an apology somewhere because of the way he named and described the genes her was working with years before. How he needed to make a conscious effort to correct it later on.

I actually got into a bit of a scuffle on another forum trying to get them to list BEL Albinos as having genetic issues because the super lessers especially have bead eye/micropthalmia. Also mojaves it looks like. I was told it's impossible because lesser BELs are bug eyed... and I had to point out lesser BEL pieds are micro eyes so that's not quite right. That amusingly was also the case of unknown het albinos as well cause the red eyes were a surprise to the owner that most of that went down on.
    Thankfully it got looked into and they popped Lesser BEL albinos on the genetic issues list that OWAL has been curating. So I feel a little accomplished there at least.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-02-2022),paulh (10-02-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12