Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,882

3 members and 2,879 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

How to properly list pos het BPs

Hey so I was curious and could use a couple opinions on an the correct way to label pos het animals.

I have a enchi clown male that I've been using in my projects. He was sold to me as het albino also. I trust the breeder and they also went on to produce albino clowns the year after I bought him. I've been using him to make het clowns to hold back for myself and I thought if I prove out the albino later down the line cool and if not I don't really care.

Now my question is how should his offspring be labeled? Do I label them 100% het clown 50% het alb. And just tell people the situation or do I just list his babies as what they are/100% het clown?

Maybe I'm over thinking this lol I mean it's only pos hets but I just want to make sure any animals I sell are labeled to the best of my ability. Not for money but just incase someone somewhere down the line decides to breed any of them.

Thanks,
    Sean
    “It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”

FDR

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-26-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 827 Posts
    If you trust the breeder, I don't see an issue with labeling them as 50% hets. As long as you're honest with any questions a buyer may have, I don't think you should have any problems.

Plus it makes things easier of there's an oops, suddenly albino hatchling for them down the line when they try to produce hets. Lol

Now my issue personally is charging for them. I had some 66% het OGs that I sold last year and I pretty much just charged for the visuals since I couldn't guarantee the OG. A small bump in price isn't bad. But pricing like an actual het? Nono.
    When the new genes hit is when it gets frustrating... Like seeing 700$ for a normal possible het sunset?? Wt? ...
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-30-2022 at 10:05 AM.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Alicia (09-27-2022),bcr229 (09-27-2022),Bogertophis (09-30-2022),Erie_herps (09-28-2022),Homebody (09-26-2022),nikkubus (09-29-2022),sp0420 (09-27-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    You have an enchi clown male. If one of his parents was an albino, then he would be a het albino and his offspring would be 50% probability het albinos. If both of his parents were het albinos, then he is a 66% probability het albino. When selling his offspring, I would not mention albino at all. Or simply say the father is 66% het albino.I would not offer a probability for the babies because it would be misleading.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-28-2022),Homebody (09-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: How to properly list pos het BPs

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    You have an enchi clown male. If one of his parents was an albino, then he would be a het albino and his offspring would be 50% probability het albinos. If both of his parents were het albinos, then he is a 66% probability het albino. When selling his offspring, I would not mention albino at all. Or simply say the father is 66% het albino.I would not offer a probability for the babies because it would be misleading.

Definitely ​This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just a caveat…….

Both the parents would have to be 100% het albino for the OS to be 66% het albino.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-28-2022 at 09:30 AM.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-28-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    I would label them as 50% het Albino, trusting the breeder especially when they produced Albinos the following year. Personally, I would even label 25% or 33% hets, and I would want to know if I was buying there was that chance there. Usually unexpected recessive visuals popping up is a nice surprise, but it can be incredibly frustrating for some people. After <25%, I'd label them just "poss het" and put in the description how far back it was. Some specific morphs it would be even more important like Carmel Albino, because there can be negative issues from it.

That being said, I would charge prices for the visuals only unless 100% het like Armiyana said.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-29-2022),Armiyana (09-29-2022),Bogertophis (09-30-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    I have a enchi clown male that I've been using in my projects. He was sold to me as het albino also. I trust the breeder and they also went on to produce albino clowns the year after I bought him.
    The OP did not write what the parents of his enchi clown male were. To make some albino babies, the parents MUST be either an albino and a het albino or two het albinos. If both parents were het albinos, then there is a 33% probability that the OP's snake lacks an albino gene and is genetically normal in that regard. Can the owner of the parent snakes be honest but ignorant of genetic facts? IMO, yes.

BTW, a 100% het albino is a long way of writing het albino.

What nikkubus wrote about labeling and pricing works for me.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to paulh For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-29-2022),Bogertophis (09-30-2022),nikkubus (09-29-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks

I have a enchi clown male that I've been using in my projects. He was sold to me as het albino also. I trust the breeder and they also went on to produce albino clowns the year after I bought him
    Are you implying that the breeder lied?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by paulh View Post
    The OP did not write what the parents of his enchi clown male were. To make some albino babies, the parents MUST be either an albino and a het albino or two het albinos. If both parents were het albinos, then there is a 33% probability that the OP's snake lacks an albino gene and is genetically normal in that regard. Can the owner of the parent snakes be honest but ignorant of genetic facts? IMO, yes.

BTW, a 100% het albino is a long way of writing het albino.

What nikkubus wrote about labeling and pricing works for me.
    Thanks for pointing that out about the long way of expressing the percentage in hets. I always thought any percentage less than 50% was truly “ possible het”. Working with 100% and 66% het was where the true potential lied.

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-29-2022 at 08:44 AM. Reason: Double posted.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2022)

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sp0420 View Post
    I have a enchi clown male that I've been using in my projects. He was sold to me as het albino also. I trust the breeder and they also went on to produce albino clowns the year after I bought him.
    Armiyana wrote:
    Are you implying that the breeder lied?
    If the OP's snake has an albino parent, then the OP's snake is a het albino, and the breeder did not lie. If both parents were het albinos than the the breeder lied. However, he was probably working from the best of his knowledge and belief and did not know he was lieing. This sort of thing even happens under oath in a courtroom. The breeder MAY have lied. Tell me what the OP's snake's parents are and I can tell you for sure.
    Last edited by paulh; 09-30-2022 at 01:42 AM.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    It's a bit late here so forgive me if my train of thought derails a bit...

It's just that what you say here makes it sound like all breeders are guilty until you proove your animal.
    Yes, scams do happen (like that polish red BP thing), but to just assume unless they tell you the parents they're lying just feels like a terrible way to do business. It's not like they were listing something as super Mojave special which is impossible. And as op said, they have a working albino clown project, so the odds of being het albino as it was sold are good

Sure, it's great when a breeder can take the time and list off an animal's lineage. Not everyone does. It's great when they can but it feels rude to insist that unless the breeder tells you the lineage that the animal is not what they said it is. And the lineage logic is still flawed because how do you know they aren't lying on parentage and just say the right thing? Or what if there was a partho case or retained sperm from a different male?

Sure all of us can tell exactly what the odds of the animal being albino het are based on the parentage is...
    But the question here was never about "Is the animal het?" Yes, op used the word proved in regards to it, but that was because the female they have is NOT het albino.
    The question was: If I breed an enchi clown het albino to an animal without a recessive, how do I label the offspring?
    The only info missing is what the female op is using is. Assuming normal all of his offspring are 100% het clown, 50% het albino and around half of them would also be enchi as well. The 50% should be mentioned to customers because it is in the lineage and a possibility of popping up later on.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-30-2022 at 08:39 AM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-30-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast