Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,710

1 members and 2,709 guests
AR29,
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Re: Starting to fail at husbandry…

Quote Originally Posted by MedicalAuthor View Post
    The bite would have been three weeks ago at this point but I may use it on the area that seemed raw while removing the shed last night. And to clarify, it didn't draw blood or become fleshy, it just looked like the demarcation from shed to new scales was disappearing and a little patch was raw.

Also, meant *hairdryer method earlier. Will check my DMs and try soon.

For what it's worth, she's still fairly active. Will be out of the hide, basking when it's alone and dark, moves well when going back to the hide, etc.

I appreciate all the help and guidance!!!
    I didn't necessarily mean the past & presumed bite wound- but feeding live, you should know proper first aid anyway for the next (& inevitable) bite wound.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-27-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

I would continue to tweak the enclosure for additional improvements. Have you ordered or picked up a thermostat, temp gun, and maybe repositioned the thermometer probes?
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2022)

Thanks
    I think what originally leaned me away from the under the tank heater was the need for a thermostat to regulate the heat well. It seemed involved. BUT, looking on Amazon, is this the jumpstart recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/HYDROFARM-Hyd...47c48c32f&th=1

And then what under the tank heater should I get for it?

While I'm at it, continue with cypress mulch or should I switch out the substrate for better humidity control?

Thank you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MedicalAuthor For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-27-2022)

Thanks

I think what originally leaned me away from the under the tank heater was the need for a thermostat to regulate the heat well. It seemed involved. BUT, looking on Amazon, is this the jumpstart recommended:

https://www.amazon.com/HYDROFARM-Hyd...47c48c32f&th=1

And then what under the tank heater should I get for it?

While I'm at it, continue with cypress mulch or should I switch out the substrate for better humidity control?

Thank you!
    Yeah, that’s the thermostat! Good job. It’s very simple to use and once again, the most important husbandry equipment you’ll need. The heat mat you can order from “The Bean Farm” or “ Reptile Basics”. You will also need foil tape to secure the mat to the bottom corner of the enclosure. General hardware store should have the foil tape. Surely , continue with your cypress mulch. Consider ordering a “versa top” for a 20 gallon capacity tank and that will eliminate your humidity issues.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-27-2022 at 07:40 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2022)

Thanks

Versa tops are folded glass applications that fit directly on the lips of the interior of the tank. It comes with a plastic slide on fitting and will be a perfect fit. Petco and Pet Smart should have them otherwise just google Aquarium Versa top. Your screen top will fit above the versa top and secured with your clips
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 09-27-2022 at 07:48 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-27-2022)

Thanks
    Small update. Got an under the tank header and a thermostat. Have been leaving the snake alone since the last failed feeding. Took him out today and tried again with a damp cloth and the leftover head shed and it came off easily. Will try another f/t rat on Saturday with the blow dryer thawing method. Wish me luck!

Also, I’m convinced my snake hates me 😭. After putting him back he promptly unraveled and tried to strike me through the glass multiple times.

I know snakes aren’t affectionate and will never be cuddly but can they learn the opposite, ie learn to be aggressive towards me? Or eventually should it just see me as a warm thing to potentially climb?

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MedicalAuthor For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-07-2022),Bogertophis (10-06-2022),dakski (10-06-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

...Also, I’m convinced my snake hates me 😭. After putting him back he promptly unraveled and tried to strike me through the glass multiple times...
    He doesn't hate you- he's afraid of you. You're a giant that he hasn't yet learned to feel safe with. Snakes know us best by our touch, & when we set them down, some do suddenly react defensively because we're towering over them & they no longer have that tactile connection; they get very scared, because they don't recognize us visually. Without our touch & scent, suddenly their instincts scream "Predator!" Snakes feel safer when we hold them close to us, so they feel sheltered, whereas out in the open, their instincts remind them how vulnerable they are- think about birds of prey, etc. You'll get this...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-07-2022),dakski (10-06-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    He's being defensive. It happens. Hopefully he settles down for you. Especially if he was doing fine previously in the same enclosure.
    He's hopefully just acting out because he didn't like you touching around the area with stuck shed. Some time to chill and hopefully a good meal might help him.

One of my girls is extremely defensive and will keep striking at glass when she sees movement. It was a small tank with good hides and coverage, but she still would climb up high and play tree python. She's a tubdweller now and has calmed down really well.

If he continues to be defensive and striking you may need to cover the glass. Make sure he has all of those little nook and crannies to hide in and feel secure If that still isn't really helping, a small tub setup might because it will hopefully feel more secure.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (10-07-2022),dakski (10-06-2022)

Thanks

I think it’s just telling that he’s hungry. Typical presentation of a young snake showing you that he needs or wants something. A baby alerts his parents by crying when it wants to be changed or when it’s hungry or not feeling well. There is a old saying that a snake that is a tagger or striker will be a good feeder. I would say chalk it up to the typical baby ball python behavior. Kudos and Nice job getting the thermostat and heat mat.
    Last edited by Albert Clark; 10-07-2022 at 02:30 AM.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (10-07-2022),dakski (10-07-2022),Homebody (10-07-2022)

Thanks
    So good news is that humidity problem seems to be taken care of.

bad/questionable news is the heat. I put the thermostat probe right on top of the substrate that’s above the UTH and set it to 94 degrees. After 12 hours the temperature only got up to 91 and the ambient temperature per digital thermometer on the warm side (right next to it) says 80 degrees. Should be hotter right? I got a 10-20 gallon heater. Should I have gotten bigger? :/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast