Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 964

1 members and 963 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,532
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 572 Posts

Why do you keep snakes?

Been ruminating on this question myself for a while, and I think I have several of my own reasons, a lot of them being personal connections.

They're one of the most misunderstood creatures on Earth, and as someone who spent a lot of their childhood as something of an outcast that resonates with me. They also tolerate interaction at best rather than seek it out and are more than happy to be left alone; they're all introverts like me. We both like to eat a lot in one sitting and rest/sleep it off too.

On the more practical side, they're a dream to keep. Don't eat too often compared to most pets out there, they do well with handling but they don't require it at the same time, and they're just simply beautiful.

Interested to hear what answers you all have.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Snagrio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2022),Erie_herps (09-21-2022),Homebody (09-21-2022),Kryptic (10-14-2022),Luvyna (10-19-2022),plateOfFlan (09-20-2022)

Thanks

Re: Why do you keep snakes?

I started keeping tarantulas in covid quarantine, and people would ask a lot "oh are they like snakes? Like can they learn to recognize and trust you?" (The answer is no). But I was intrigued by this idea that snakes actually could form a bond with you, so I did some reading on different species, watched videos, and ordered my first ball python, bracing myself for an animal that would want nothing to do with me. To my surprise he took to me very quickly and actively enjoyed snuggling into my hoodies and watching TV with me - more than once I worried he'd been out of his tank too long and tried to put him back, only for him to grab tightly to my sweater and burrow in further. I know that he's mainly after my body heat and soft clothing, but both of mine will voluntarily approach and climb on me when left to their own devices to roam around my room, and it's a very cool feeling to have what is basically a wild animal look over at you, and then have an obvious moment of recognition like "oh right, that weird monkey that's always around, I know that one. That one's fine." Now people ask me if the snakes can enjoy petting or express affection, or befriend you like a dog, and I have to explain that no, not really, but the relationship you have with them is totally different. Not lesser or worse I don't think, but very different.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2022),Erie_herps (09-21-2022),Homebody (09-21-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,824 Times in 11,843 Posts
    I agree that snakes are among the most misunderstood & irrationally-hated animals on the planet, & I have a huge soft-spot for all "under-dogs" plus a desire to see their truth be known.

At first, I didn't actually expect to like them (after all, I'd had many rodent pets first!), but I really knew nothing about snakes, & decided to keep an open-mind. As it turns out, an open mind comes in handy throughout life- who knew? I was always an animal lover, but snakes? So I was talked into the first one, but that's when I realized that most everything I'd heard or seen about snakes was just total nonsense.

Plus, as you mentioned, they're pretty easy to live with. I love dogs & other animals, but snakes don't need daily feeding or constant attention. They're graceful & pretty, & sometimes sorta goofy, but interesting to watch- relaxing to hold -well, sometimes & they offer some mysteries to figure out, trying to see life thru their eyes & by way of their instincts. They don't need long walks or backyards to play in, they don't claw the furniture, nor do they wake you at dawn with squawking or chirping, or bark & make your neighbors upset. And you can cuddle them too, unlike tropical fish (which are also fascinating & beautiful creatures). Plus, you meet all the "best" open-minded people keeping snakes & such.

Keeping snakes also appeals to many of us with a creative side- fixing up that ideal enclosure for them to bring out their best health & natural behaviors. Keeping snakes keeps us learning new things, both in tech advances but also about the health & medical issues. And let's face it- there's a lot that's wrong with the "world" out there- a lot of things that causes us stress- so having a passionate interest in something so absorbing like snake-keeping (or gardening, various means of artistic expression, etc) offers us a good "escape" to a better, if smaller, "world". I think that having pets of any kind helps us all stay more positive (optimistic), too- they're a tangible reminder of what's important & wonderful in life.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Erie_herps (09-21-2022),GoingPostal (10-14-2022),Homebody (09-21-2022),Kryptic (10-14-2022)

Thanks
    I initially started keeping snakes out of anger at people with an unreasonable, witless hatred for snakes. I still keep them (now that I'm no longer subjected to the presence of that kind of individual), because they are comfortable, relaxing and calming to be around. Even if not being handled, their movement and (usually) innate grace are as beautiful to watch as any other aspect of nature, a pleasure to see. 'Usually' because there are those instances of pure, absurd clumsiness that any animal is guilty of at times...

Cats fall down and pretend it didn't happen, but will spite you if you noticed. Dogs do it deliberately to get attention. Snakes just don't care that it happened, if you noticed it's your problem, not theirs.
    Last edited by Argentum; 09-20-2022 at 10:11 PM.
    BP: 1.2

Ultrafly, 6y+
    Banana Firebee, 5y+
    Pastave Bee Super Enchi Banana +/-, 1y

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Argentum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-20-2022),Erie_herps (09-21-2022),Homebody (09-21-2022),Kryptic (10-14-2022)

Thanks
    my love for snakes started when i saw an African rock python, it was the first big snake i ever saw (why I am so obsessed with them) and my keeping of exotics started with arachnids when i was 5 after my oma showed me how to catch spiders because i was just free handling any that i came across - so she showed me how to set up make shift terrariums for them and i started keeping true spiders - after awhile i started keeping more venomous true spiders and then graduated to scorpions and then tarantulas - throughout the years i kept a corn snake and so on but was p much committed to my arachnid collection

then right around the time the recent Lacey Act scare occurred i decided i couldn’t go my whole life without owning a big snake so i obtained my Colombian red tail boa - from there i just feel in love like never before so i assembled my crew and here we are - I’m largely self taught and have only interacted with online communities within the past couple years - kind of wish i did so sooner but you know
    Last edited by YungRasputin; 10-14-2022 at 05:31 PM.
    het for nothing but groovy

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-14-2022),Homebody (10-14-2022),Kryptic (10-14-2022)

Thanks
    I like watching nature shows on YouTube, and somehow, when I was dozing, autoplay dropped a Clint's Reptiles video on me. I woke up at some point during that video and enjoying it as pure entertainment. I ended up watching a bunch of his channel's videos and that led me to Dav Kaufman, Snake Discovery, Wicken's Wicked Reptiles, Brian Boas, etc. After a few months of watching videos about all kinds of reptiles and keeping them as pets, I decided I really wanted a snake.

Firstly, I think they look so cool. I love the way they move, whether climbing, cruising, stalking prey, striking. They way they hunt is fascinating to me, waiting in ambush, then closing the distance and striking to constrict or envenomate their prey. They way they eat their prey whole with their flexible jaws is so unique.

All of that is enough to make me really like snakes, but there are lots of animals I really like and would never keep. What made me get one was how low-maintenance they can be. Keeping them can be very easy if you can keep organized records and pay close attention to detail. My dogs already demand regular attention from me, so any animal that needed regular affection or high time demands would be impossible for me. If my snake doesn't see me for a couple of days, I know it doesn't care. It seems to appreciate it when I let it out of its enclosure to roam a bit. It doesn't seem to mind if I occasionally take it out and have it hang out on me while I do some work at my desk or watch some TV. You hardly have to feed them. If I need to go away for a few days, give it fresh water and no problem. If I need to go away for a week or two, have whoever is watching my dogs (who also likes reptiles) take an extra couple minutes to change the water and maybe spot clean. If you want an easier pet, you don't have many options and should probably just get a plant instead. Realistically, I could probably have 20 snakes and not spend as much time or money on care as I would on my two dogs.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kryptic For This Useful Post:

YungRasputin (10-15-2022)

Thanks

Grew up with a parent that was terrified of snakes (father, not mother) and so even though I had lizards and turtles and and fish and birds and several types of mammals, snakes were forbidden. What with one thing and another, I never managed to acquire a snake until I was 61, and watching YouTube Videos finally prompted me to pull the trigger on a little boa. He is the neatest thing, and my 95 year old mother was so amazed to find out what they are really like that she doesn't flinch when I bring in snakes from the yard and plop them in her lap, lol. Spotticus is almost 5 and he still amazes me.
    Last edited by Spicey; 10-14-2022 at 11:50 PM.
    "Something Clever"

1.0 Paradox Albino KSB - Spotticus
    0.1 Dutch Rabbit - Wendy

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spicey For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-17-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
    I like watching nature shows on YouTube, and somehow, when I was dozing, autoplay dropped a Clint's Reptiles video on me. I woke up at some point during that video and enjoying it as pure entertainment. I ended up watching a bunch of his channel's videos and that led me to Dav Kaufman, Snake Discovery, Wicken's Wicked Reptiles, Brian Boas, etc. After a few months of watching videos about all kinds of reptiles and keeping them as pets, I decided I really wanted a snake.
    Brian is such a hidden gem that deserves way more attention - he’s like the Bob Ross of Boas
    het for nothing but groovy

16. The Following User Says Thank You to YungRasputin For This Useful Post:

Homebody (10-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,993 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Snagrio View Post
    Been ruminating on this question myself for a while, and I think I have several of my own reasons, a lot of them being personal connections.

They're one of the most misunderstood creatures on Earth, and as someone who spent a lot of their childhood as something of an outcast that resonates with me. They also tolerate interaction at best rather than seek it out and are more than happy to be left alone; they're all introverts like me. We both like to eat a lot in one sitting and rest/sleep it off too.

On the more practical side, they're a dream to keep. Don't eat too often compared to most pets out there, they do well with handling but they don't require it at the same time, and they're just simply beautiful.

Interested to hear what answers you all have.
    It’s complex

I have always been drawn to unusual things .. be it pets / animals , people , rock groups or whatever.

So keeping snakes was an easy choice … I started with fish and used to have a pet Pike , then Piranhas … Discus ..

I keep mine in natural looking vivs , full of branches / foliage and not interesting areas

I love watching them in the evening and love getting them out if someone wants to hold one .. ( Corn snake or Royal pythons )

I keep the feisty LTR for myself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Zincubus For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (10-15-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Grew up with a parent that was terrified of snakes (father, not mother) and so even though I had lizards and turtles and and fish and birds and several types of mammals, snakes were forbidden. What with one thing and another, I never managed to acquire a snake until I was 61, and watching YouTube Videos finally prompted me to pull the trigger on a little boa. He is the neatest thing, and my 95 year old mother was so amazed to find out what they are really like that she doesn't flinch when I bring in snakes from the yard and plop them in her lap, lol. Spotticus is almost 5 and he still amazes me.
    This is so heartwarming - there's always time to learn something new!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Spicey (10-17-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast