Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,020

0 members and 2,020 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,071
Threads: 248,522
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Which morphs would you add to this collection?

Hi, i started with BP one year ago and i have this morphs in my collection at the moment...i would like to know what do you think about and which morphs would you add? ( for each specify if males or females)

Females

0.1 Spider Enchi
    0.1 Butter Mojave
    0.1 Hidden gene woma granite pastel 66% het Pied
    0.1 Sterling Pastel
    0.1 Normal het Pied
    0.1 Normal het Axanthic vpi 66% het Pied
    0.1 Clown Blade

Males

1.0 Pewter
    1.0 Phantom
    1.0 Axanthic vpi 66% het Pied
    1.0 Banana Lesser Enchi DH Clown Pied

Thank you in advance!

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 835 Posts
    Honestly that's already a good sized group.
    The question really is what are you planning to do? What do you want to breed for? Having a bit of everything just means you may satisfy something someone else wants but maybe not what you want to see.... Or take a while with breeding hold acks and raising them up.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-15-2022),Homebody (09-16-2022),Malum Argenteum (09-15-2022),nikkubus (09-15-2022),UDS96 (09-15-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Agree with Armiyana. I would slow down on the purchasing and start really researching and planning projects I specifically wanted.

I'm going to assume based on what you already have that you like blacks, whites, and silvers. Based on my personal research and taste some things I can recommend looking at to see if it interests you are:

-Sandblast in Urban Camo projects
    -Fire and Pastel in Axanthic projects
    -GHI Mojave Hypo* projects (*see below)

You already have 3 different recessives among your animals so I would also caution you that you might want to hold off on really getting going on 2 of them or any more until you get established, and instead focus on some of the other things you already have, especially when you have 66% hets. Selling normals and hets is incredibly difficult until you have established yourself, and even then it's difficult. You get a lot more normals with recessive projects than you otherwise would, even more so when you are going het to het or het to poss het. Even as much experience and reputation as I have, I wouldn't even bother with a het to het pairing unless there was some pretty incredible other morphs involved to outweigh it.

Another thing I'd mention is that I am highly selective when purchasing males. You can pair a single male with 4-6 females in a season, so it's a lot better idea to save up and get one incredible powerhouse male than 4-6 alright males. Males are where you should be spending big money if you are planning on breeding. Females are a different story, and even a plain old normal can be a huge asset with the right male.

Here is an example from what you have and why I wouldn't do this pairing:
    1.0 Axanthic vpi 66% het Pied x 0.1 Normal het Axanthic vpi 66% het Pied likely scenario would give you 50% Axanthic and 50% 100%het Axanthic. That is half your clutch that is going to be incredibly difficult to sell. Even if one of the parents has Pied, if the other doesn't, it's not going to prove out. If you invest the big $ and get a 1.0 Axanthic Pied to that same female, your odds go up substantially, you get worst case 50% of them being 100%double het, best case prove out your female and maybe get a double visual. Even better, if you spend $$$ and get a 1.0 Firefly Axanthic Pied with that same female, your odds get really interesting and you could produce some really high $ OS. This same $$$ male, you could put to some other low cost females with some hets and add some really interesting things to that project, like 0.1 Spotnose het Axanthic, 0.1 Leopard het Axanthic or whatever other morph might interest you. You really are better off spending more money upfront on nice males, especially when it comes to dealing with recessives.

Hope that has given you some ideas and direction. It's some concepts I really wish someone had mentioned to me when I was first getting going, would have saved me a lot of trouble.

7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-15-2022),Bogertophis (09-15-2022),Homebody (09-16-2022),UDS96 (09-15-2022)

Thanks

Re: Which morphs would you add to this collection?

Hi and thank you all!
    Yes,exactly..i'm more in black or white snakes that's the reason behind the 0.1 BEL/ 1.0 Banana Lesser enchi , 0.1 Sterling pastel/1.0 Pewter (silver bullet or super cinnamon)..."simple" projects but it will take a while cause they are all subadults...my only adults are

0.1 Normal het Pied
    0.1 Normal het vpi axanthic 66% Pied
    0.1 Clown Blade
    1.0 Axanthic vpi 66% Pied

Breeding these i will only get hets..not a really good deal...

i would like to start breeding this season in order to start with few clutches and make some experience for future projects but maybe it's better wait until my other snakes will grow up

Thanks
    Yes, better to wait a while. Really sit down and plan out what you want to shoot for in the meantime instead of just waiting for them to grow. The more refined your plan is, the better things should go for you.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-16-2022),UDS96 (09-17-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Also, as a heads up! Be aware that two of those projects can have issues. Potentially 3 if you dip them across to another project.
    You'll want to keep an eye out for things like these in your projects as well or be prepared for them.

1) Super butter/lesser have been known to cause bug eyes or larger than normal eyes.

2) Super cinny/black pastels can have kinking issues. These can be minor or severe, possibly needing to be euthanized. They can also sometimes appear as a solid white when pied is involved, not dark.

3) Crossing BEL into Pied (and albinos from what I have seen) can also cause eye issues. The opposite of Bug eye, Bead eye or micropthalmia.

Just be aware of the risks while planning. For example, I'm not crossing my lessers back into another lesser/butter. I am taking a risk though on a Cinny/blk pastel project. Sometimes things will happen regardless.
    I hatched a very runty 25gm hatchling that still has not eaten on it's own in two months. though we now weigh in at 34 grams while a couple siblings are at 150+ already. But being aware of problems you might see ahead of time will keep you prepped for when they do happen!

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-16-2022),nikkubus (09-16-2022),UDS96 (09-17-2022)

Thanks

Re: Which morphs would you add to this collection?

Quote Originally Posted by Armiyana View Post
    I am taking a risk though on a Cinny/blk pastel project. !
    Invest in Cinnamon Suma or Black Pastel Suma project instead! Better blacks, less issues

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-16-2022),Homebody (09-16-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Hahah, that's actually in my future considerations!

Hoping that my Urban camo project group is at least kink free. My male's breeder has a pretty good line he hasn't had a kink issue in their time working with them. My others are from smaller breeders, but prepared to keep from pairing them up later if they have any kinks or heavy facial deformity. I have a small group to rotate through to keep from line breeding too heavily too.

Hoping that either of my possible sandblasts prove out as well. My female is from an urban camo clutch. My male was listed as a pewter but has the sandblast distortion and his pewter brother didn't. I asked Osborne and he thinks he is so fingers corssed! Cause then I'll be able to work on crossing to sumas and such for sure in that project.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-16-2022),nikkubus (09-16-2022)