Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,557

1 members and 2,556 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Menelas (42)

» Stats

Members: 75,083
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NopeRopeMD
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts
    BTW, a snake that's under 6 mos. old should be eating once a week- appropriate sized rodents only, & between 6 mos. to a year would normally be eating every 7-10 days. It's not okay to feed less often on prey that's too large (to save money or time?), so the fact that this snake has NOT eaten for months concerns me.

In the event she is ill (I'm not seeing her, only you are), this site may help you find a suitable vet with snake experience: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

While it's very important that you get her eating, do NOT rush this or she'll just regurgitate again, & that can actually kill a snake- they can choke & aspirate, for one thing- they cannot really cough, so regurgitations are risky to begin with.

But if a snake regurgitates several consecutive meals, they can also die from dehydration etc. It's critical that you get her eating small prey, to make sure you aren't taxing her stomach as she's recovering.

You probably should try mice, to be honest- they're a more appropriate size for spotted pythons. They start off, when hatchlings, on pinky mice (which are tiny compared to what you said you fed her), & only gradually eat larger fuzzies, then hoppers/small adult mice -depending on their growth/size, of course.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-11-2022 at 10:11 AM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Homebody (09-11-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,800 Times in 11,831 Posts

Re: spotted python did not eat food

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberrus View Post
    ...a couple days later i notice a stench coming from the room and the mouse is there on the ground and stinks...
    ...she was eating before i got her the owner told me wean rats and frozen cus she is picky...
    Just to be clear- rats & mice are different species & achieve vastly different sizes. They smell & presumably taste very different, which is why many snakes show a preference for one or the other.

If you get around to posting pics of this snake (with something for size reference, preferably) & the home you've set up for her, it would also help if you post pics of the size rodent you fed her.

I'm hoping you mistakenly referred to mice as "rats", since mice would be the proper food for this snake & you said she's under a year old, so it's not at all clear.

Hi there i am a new snake owner i have been trying to feed m snake for about 3 months now...
    no clue how old she is i think that said under a year...
    And again, if she IS a young snake (under a year), then she's vastly under-fed (after going 3 months without food, then regurgitating) & she's possibly in serious health trouble, though I hope not. If that's the case, this site can help you find a qualified vet: https://arav.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=3661

The better information you provide us, the better we can help you here- we all want the best for your snake, & young snakes do not have the body reserves to fast for long periods of time without harm. I truly wish you had asked sooner about why your snake wasn't eating for so long.

The most common reasons for a newly-acquired snake to refuse food or regurgitate after eating usually comes down to "husbandry" (ie. proper keeping). It may be that they're stressed from too much handling, or they don't have proper warmth to digest (including "hides" at the correct temperatures), or that the food was improper (too large, wrong prey or spoiled). If those are not the issues, the snake may in fact be sick, which is out of our ability to diagnose & may require a good snake vet.
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-11-2022 at 12:02 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

blisterbeetle (09-11-2022),dakski (09-11-2022),Homebody (09-11-2022)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12