Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,008

1 members and 3,007 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,490
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Light Sensitivity and Albinos

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    Read these different articles/studies and come up with your own conclusion on the subject of vision.

I found these quickly using certain words in my search. If I started messing around with more specific terms I may very well have found more info.

https://www.nps.gov/cabr/blogs/albin...-our-parks.htm

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...22.890874/full

https://reptileshowsofnewengland.com...bino-reptiles/

Boas and pythons are primarily nocturnal/crepuscular hunters. Their eyes are tuned for dark and low light conditions.

From the brief reading I've done, I believe there is a higher propensity for snakes with true albinism to be light sensitive.
    many thanks for this - will def read them! my logic for lighting flows from my experiences with arachnids - what i noticed is that keepers which had their collection in total darkness or dimly/barely lit rooms were reporting behaviors that i never experienced which seemed to stem from the “perpetual night” of their care - going into snakes i assumed the same i.e. that the light would prompt them to engage in their daytime behavior and the darkness would prompt their normal, nocturnal behavior - perhaps i was wrong with this but that’s what i was thinking anyhow
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    i would also add that i have used CHE in the past during the winter months but found it rather bothersome because i had to get a temp balance device to prevent it from going over 90F - not against them tho - never used the black bulbs tho, v curious about them
    het for nothing but groovy

Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 399 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Animallover3541 View Post
    Edit: I HIGHLY recommend finding a way to add additional Vitamin A to their diet if possible (maybe put supplements inside the mouth/throat of their prey item...?). It seems like albino animals need increased Vitamin A levels due to their sensitive eyes, although again the severity depends a lot on genetics. Some barely have problems, others suffer greatly. The albino turtle I mentioned earlier had a perfectly healthy sibling, it just seems the the one turtle got the short end of the genetic stick.
    Turtles are metabolically different (at least some taxa -- Terrapine for one -- are known not to uptake/convert A from their diet as well as other herps) and have completely different diets than snakes. Whole rodents contain borderline toxic levels of Vitamin A; adding Vitamin A to the diets of whole rodent feeders is strongly contraindicated (as is the unfortunately increasingly common practice of supplementing calcium and Vitamin D to "make sure they get enough"; there is enough D and a perfect ratio of Ca/P in rodent prey).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-11-2022),Homebody (09-10-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by YungRasputin View Post
    recently acquired an albino burm and i was wondering if i should modify lighting, heat lamps, etc because of this? could just be my mind but it seems like she shys away when the i flip the lights on in a way my other normal/wild types don’t so i just wanted to be sure
    Deep heat projector.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 09-16-2022 at 09:30 PM. Reason: typo- "protector" > "projector"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12