Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,809

2 members and 2,807 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,525
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

Which 70 series tub for the AP rack?

I'm getting a good deal on a new in box, never used Animal Plastics rack with 6 tiers this weekend. It's the one they link you to the Iris cb70 tubs which Iris doesn't make anymore. I was crudely searching around on my phone last night (computer was down) and it appears Freedom Breeders work as well as Vision, and probably another 1 or 2. Anywho, which do you guys like the most and is the most value in your opinion? I kinda like the flat bottom design the Visions had.

Also, since ball pythons are going in them, as well as maybe a corn snake I've got so I can get rid of this 40 gallon breeder 3 ton aquarium, should I get clear or gray? I understand the ball pythons appreciating the darkness the gray would offer, but it seems like no light would get through so these snakes wouldn't have a day/light cycle. Would clear be a better option so that the front is exposed to some light?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 414 Posts
    I use Vision V70 tubs and love them. I have a couple CB-70s hanging around and by comparison they're terrible.

I have some tubs from Vision in gray (large rodent tubs, I don't think they make the size anymore) that I use in a rodent rack with screened tops. I would absolutely not use them for snakes in an AP-style rack; the snakes would get no light.

I don't think it is humane to house any animal without a normal-ish light cycle. Studies on sensory deprivation seem to have mostly ended by 1970 or so (here's a link to a story on one of the later ones) for easy to guess reasons. On extended darkness specifically, check out the chapter about the orbweaver spider in 'Sentient' by Jackie Higgins (great book in general, too).

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-08-2022),Homebody (09-09-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    I have an Economy CB70 from Animal plastics. I've been using Freedom Breeder tubs for it.
    It's a bit frustrating to clean around the cupholder sometimes...but I never have to worry about the noodles making soup for themselves.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-07-2022 at 07:25 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-08-2022)

Thanks
    How snug are your Freedom Breeder tubs on the height? The Iris tubs they recommend (that don't exist anymore) show the length to only be 1/4" shorter, 1/16" wider, but a very very small amount taller.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,907 Times in 839 Posts
    They're not tight. It's nice and smooth for me. Just enough for good airflow as long as you're snake isn't tipping water all the time. I've never had a problem with a heavy pusher either.

My Vivarium Electronics however... The FB are very tight.
    Last edited by Armiyana; 09-08-2022 at 06:48 PM.

Thanks
    Alright, I may have to pick up the Freedom Breeders then, they're cheaper than Vision, even though shipping on both is ridiculous.