Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 723

0 members and 723 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,077
Threads: 248,523
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, jpriebe2
    Thanks

Focus Cubed Habitats EXO TERRA TOP & UVB

So I have a 40 gallon glass exo terra. Of course I did research prior to my snake but didn’t have the money for pvc.

But now I found Focus Cubed Habitats and what they offer is genius…

They offer a top (trash the screen lid) that fits the tank, with installed 80w RHP. You can add an LED or 12in Arcadia 7% UVB fixture. Here’s the thing…

I current use uvb but it’s outside the tank, this would be inside on the top panel. Arcadia doesn’t offer a cage for the 12in, is it a burn concern? They feel it’s not as it won’t get any hotter than the RHP?

Or is UVB really needed and should I just get the LED on dimmer instead?

Thanks.

Thanks

Re: Focus Cubed Habitats EXO TERRA TOP & UVB

Anyone?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts
    I think most keepers here don't recommend UVB for BPs. I certainly don't. UVB is absolutely not needed for the physical well being of BPs, as measured by 50+ years of anecdotal evidence, general accepted nutrition guidelines from the veterinary field, and the little published data on BPs that exists (this is the only specific study I know of).

Dimmable lights are very valuable. If there is any issue with the animal having behavioral issues because of excess illumination, it is simple to dim them down.
    Last edited by Malum Argenteum; 09-07-2022 at 06:02 PM. Reason: spelling

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2022),Harri (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    I think most keepers here don't recommend UVB for BPs. I certainly don't. UVB is absolutely not needed for the physical well being of BPs, as measured by 50+ years of anecdotal evidence, general accepted nutrition guidelines from the veterinary field, and the little published data on BPs that exists (this is the only specific study I know of).

Dimmable lights are very valuable. If there is any issue with the animal having behavioral issues because of excess illumination, it is simple to dim them down.
    Thanks Malum. You ask so many and so many say they do, so many say they don’t. Was thinking of doing the LED.

But let’s say I did do the UVb 12in on the inside with no cage. It’s 8 watts, is it a burn concern? Arcadia makes cages for all of them BUT the 12 in. Thanks again.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 411 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Thanks Malum. You ask so many and so many say they do, so many say they don’t.
    Yeah, that's why I tried to offer actual evidence and data. These aren't opinion questions, but many people treat them as if they are, like taking a survey of which Ben and Jerry's flavor is the best. In the worst of these sorts of cases, suggesting not to provide UVB elicits circular ad homenem attacks ("you just don't care about your animal's health, so what do you know anyway").

There are in these sorts of questions reasonable appeals to authority -- for that I'd recommend looking at, say, Mader's Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, where they point out that whole prey carnivore diets are nutritionally complete, and where they point out that hypocalcemia in rodent eating snakes is virtually unheard of. But this isn't a real appeal to authority anyway, since the text links to published studies and case reports. These are facts that are based on evidence, and can (and may someday) be disproven only with more evidence.

I don't run any 12" T5HOs, but I do run a number of 24-48" T5HOs in different applications, and all of them are definite potential burn hazards. They are also, more seriously, break hazards; if a snake gets a nose behind the lamp and pushes, that lamp will shatter into ten thousand pieces of death, many of which could enter heat pits and mouth. There is no way I would put even an unplugged bare flo lamp in a snake enclosure. There is very simply no reason to do so.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Malum Argenteum For This Useful Post:

Harri (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Malum Argenteum View Post
    Yeah, that's why I tried to offer actual evidence and data. These aren't opinion questions, but many people treat them as if they are, like taking a survey of which Ben and Jerry's flavor is the best. In the worst of these sorts of cases, suggesting not to provide UVB elicits circular ad homenem attacks ("you just don't care about your animal's health, so what do you know anyway").

There are in these sorts of questions reasonable appeals to authority -- for that I'd recommend looking at, say, Mader's Reptile and Amphibian Medicine and Surgery, where they point out that whole prey carnivore diets are nutritionally complete, and where they point out that hypocalcemia in rodent eating snakes is virtually unheard of. But this isn't a real appeal to authority anyway, since the text links to published studies and case reports. These are facts that are based on evidence, and can (and may someday) be disproven only with more evidence.

I don't run any 12" T5HOs, but I do run a number of 24-48" T5HOs in different applications, and all of them are definite potential burn hazards. They are also, more seriously, break hazards; if a snake gets a nose behind the lamp and pushes, that lamp will shatter into ten thousand pieces of death, many of which could enter heat pits and mouth. There is no way I would put even an unplugged bare flo lamp in a snake enclosure. There is very simply no reason to do so.
    Thanks. Still thinking lol. I want to add it why not. But the 12in has no cage and that’s all they offer with a RHP.