Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,828

3 members and 2,825 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,078
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, RaginBull
    Thanks

Please help, I think my BP might be getting scarred from old shed.

I have a pastel YB double het albino pied, that has a white line appearing down his spine. The white area appears to be getting more defined the more he sheds. I think it started while I was away for a month helping my wife's 90 year old grandmother. I had a friend watching him, but when I returned there was a lot of broken shed in his enclosure. He is kept in a rack, on coco bark, with about 60-70% humidity, 90 degree hot spot and about 83-85 on the cool side. Any help would be appreciated. Please let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Re: Please help, I think my BP might be getting scared from old shed.

Oh wild, I made a very similar thread for my girl: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...cales-on-spine

In her case, the scales were all intact and just the pigment was lost. If you look very closely, are the scales damaged, or just turning white? In the pictures they look like they're losing pigment but I see a few black ones that look a little damaged?

ed: I asked about morphs but I see you already wrote them and I overlooked it! Curious that they both have yellowbelly, that's the gene her breeder identified as the likely candidate.
    Last edited by plateOfFlan; 09-06-2022 at 11:10 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to plateOfFlan For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,791 Times in 11,826 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post
    Oh wild, I made a very similar thread for my girl: https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...cales-on-spine

In her case, the scales were all intact and just the pigment was lost. If you look very closely, are the scales damaged, or just turning white? In the pictures they look like they're losing pigment but I see a few black ones that look a little damaged? .....
    I was just thinking that this issue sounded very familiar.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plateOfFlan View Post

In her case, the scales were all intact and just the pigment was lost. If you look very closely, are the scales damaged, or just turning white? In the pictures they look like they're losing pigment but I see a few black ones that look a little damaged?

ed: I asked about morphs but I see you already wrote them and I overlooked it! Curious that they both have yellowbelly, that's the gene her breeder identified as the likely candidate.
    Thanks for the advise. I looked at them under a loop and the majority of them appear to be perfect scalls, they just have the white pigment. Some of the other ones appear to have darker pigment with the white around the edges. So I think it is just a pigment change.

This is why I love this forum, it seems there is always someone that had a similar experience and they can walk you through the something.

Quick question, is the stripe on yours gitting more pronounced after every shed still or did it stop progressing?

Thanks, now I can relax and stop thinking I injured my pet.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to James Lamantia For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-07-2022),Kryptic (09-07-2022)

Thanks

Re: Please help, I think my BP might be getting scarred from old shed.

Glad I could help!

She went from a few specks of white to suddenly a connected stripe one shed, but I think since then it's either slowed down or I'm just used to seeing it. It's interesting that yours goes over the black areas, I wonder if hers will eventually do that.
    Sadly I think this disproves our "het G stripe" theory, seems like either something to do with the yellowbelly, or a random occurrence on another gene and the yellowbelly is a coincidence.