Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,091

1 members and 3,090 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,079
Threads: 248,524
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Remarkable
    Thanks

What dilution ratio of permethrin 10?

I got these cans of Rid lice spray for spraying in my enclosures before I put these snakes back in here and there are several big splotches/strips of just white that's staying on the glass or pvc and didn't really seem to atomize and spray evenly. Also, those cans do NOT last very long. I'm about to go to Tractor Supply and just buy a jug of permethrin 10 as they have a 32oz jug for $20. If I keep buying those cans, I'll never get all the enclosures, hides, and paper towels sprayed evenly, let alone for multiple applications over the next several weeks.

What ratio do you guys use of permethrin 10 to water to get a dilution strong enough to kill mites, but not harm the snake? I still have hides, logs, wood strips, etc to spray down and put back in the cages before I can put the snakes back in and these cans will cost me a million bucks to get enough.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    I diluted it at 1/8 tsp or 6 milliliters per gallon of water. It doesn't take much at all so see if you can find a smaller container than 32 oz, I've seen 8 oz and 16 oz containers for sale in the past. Store the permethrin & solution out of direct sunlight as the half-life of permethrin in the sun is seven days.

Since you'll be using a spray bottle to apply it rather than a can under pressure that atomizes the spray, you will end up with very wet paper substrate. That's fine, just make sure the paper is completely dry before using it to line your snake's enclosure.

While treating for mites you should only have treated newspaper substrate, the water bowl, and two treated plastic hides in the snake enclosure. Wood or natural substrates provide too many hiding places for mites and mite eggs. You can bake the wood decor to kill the mites.
    Last edited by bcr229; 09-02-2022 at 09:15 PM.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-03-2022),Bogertophis (09-02-2022),Homebody (09-02-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 839 Posts
    https://ball-pythons.net/forums/show...p?227598-Mites

That thread has a really good write up on treatments.
    Honestly with anything porous like the logs, I would just toss them. It's not worth my time, effort and potential reinfestation if you already have mites and by the sound of it, you're pretty deep into one.
    Bleach and water worked great for things like solid non-porous hides and bowls. Just let them soak overnight and they have to be totally submerged, then rinsed well and dried in open air to get rid of the bleach fumes.

It's very easy to OD a snake on permitherin 10 if you're not careful. Stargazing and Neuro signs are usually the most obvious signs. I would be very careful about water dishes during treatments so you make sure the snake doesn't leech the chemical into their water and drink if they go to soak or just mess around in the water.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (09-03-2022),Bogertophis (09-02-2022),Homebody (09-03-2022)

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    Lol, BCR beat me to the punch in quoting their own list of mite recommendations.

Thanks
    Luckily I found a post on here after digging deep about the 6ml part. I FINALLY got everything done today. All the enclosures disinfected, wiped out; hides, fake plants, etc disinfected and rinsed then everything sprayed with the permethrin mix. I did some paper towels and let alllllll that stuff dry. Then I painstakingly brought it all back in, put their enclosures back together and wiped all the snakes down with paper towels sprayed with the Reptile Spray. I couldn't tell if any of the snakes had any mites because the 2 or 3 of 12 that did leave something on the paper towel could have been old substrate from the other day still on them (I use 50/50 coco fiber and peat moss). Even the one we saw the 3 mites on the other day didn't show any evidence of any coming off on the paper towel during the final wipedown. They haven't been given any water bowls (I put them in the dishwasher to disinfect them today), they'll get them tomorrow.

Either way, mites or not, on Monday I'm wiping them all down with Reptile Spray again, then putting a pest strip in the middle of the snake room to sit in here for 24 hours I'll take out Tuesday evening, then put their water bowls back in Wednesday. Then, on Friday, more wipe downs lol I have everything logged in a little snake diary. Even if I don't see any evidence of them, I'm going to keep doing it for several weeks. I appreciate everyone's responses and help, you guys are awesome.

BPnet Senior Member
    Thanks
    When I was treating a pet store iso room for mites we also went and sprayed some of the permethrin mix around the enclosures as well. Like around the baseboards and such. All the little nooks and crannies. Those mites can make one heck of a journey when they put their minds to it.

Sounds like everything else went well so far though! Good luck and I hope the operation is successful.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Armiyana For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2022),Homebody (09-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,854 Times in 4,776 Posts
    You can spray or wipe the outside of the enclosures containing peat moss with the permethrin solution to stop mites from walking between the enclosures.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bcr229 For This Useful Post:

Armiyana (09-03-2022),Bogertophis (09-03-2022),Homebody (09-03-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,139 Posts

Re: What dilution ratio of permethrin 10?

Also, consider letting all parts treated porous and non - porous to sit and dry for a additional day for added protection. The reptiles, once wiped down with reptile spray can be housed in clean and dry pillowcases.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Albert Clark For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-03-2022)