Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,881

0 members and 2,881 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Hiding/ curled up in corner

I have a central American red tail boa. For some reason he hasn't been using any of his hides. He either curls up on top of a vine in the corner of the enclosure or behind his voice at the other corner of the enclosure. He used to have moss in the enclosure but it started getting springtails in there, so we had to remove the substrate and clean it out very well along with bathing him. But he used to lay under the moss for a long time without moving. So....
    Put down new substrate and allowed him to re enter. And how he is laying in the corner or on his vine at top of enclosure.
    I've checked the temperature in various locations and humidity and they are all ok. Granted I do turn off all the heat devices except for the heat mat, which is for his hide.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Registered User Animallover3541's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Hiding/ curled up in corner

I would try giving him moss again. Springtails aren't dangerous for snakes and you can also buy dried moss which shouldn't have springtails at all if it really bothers you.
    1.0.0 Red Stripe BP (Noodle)
    0.1.0 T. d. elegans (Carole)
    0.1.0 Fawn English Angora Rabbit (Petunia)
    0.1.0 Domestic Cat (Winnie)

"Life is better with a snake."

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Animallover3541 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Gio (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022),Malum Argenteum (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ddurr92 View Post
    I have a central American red tail boa. For some reason he hasn't been using any of his hides. He either curls up on top of a vine in the corner of the enclosure or behind his voice at the other corner of the enclosure. He used to have moss in the enclosure but it started getting springtails in there, so we had to remove the substrate and clean it out very well along with bathing him. But he used to lay under the moss for a long time without moving. So....
    Put down new substrate and allowed him to re enter. And how he is laying in the corner or on his vine at top of enclosure.
    I've checked the temperature in various locations and humidity and they are all ok. Granted I do turn off all the heat devices except for the heat mat, which is for his hide.
    First, pictures are helpful, of your enclosure and your boa. This thread will instruct you on how to add them to your thread. It might help to also know your boa's age.

How long ago did you remove the substrate? If it was recent, perhaps he just needs time to settle in again. I know when I introduce new features into my snake's enclosure, it can take weeks for him to start using them.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Gio (08-29-2022)

Thanks

Sorry just so worried bout my little guy. First off, his name is
    Unukalhai, or (Nuke) for short. I got his name because I'm a big astronomy geek and it's the brightest star in Serpens Caput.
    We moved his substrate Wednesday or Thursday. And we used dried moss. I don't recall where my fiance got it. But at first everything was good. And then a couple months went by and I stared seeing these little bug things. I knew they weren't mites, so springtails had to be the only thing.
    So Nuke is about a year old and growing very quickly. Seems to shed a lot haha.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ddurr92 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-29-2022)

Thanks

His enclosure is kinda bare right now because we had everything out of it. We're in the process of adding more hides, but everyone is our house has been sick so we haven't really been able to put everything back in. I want to eventually be able to use that spray stuff where I can make rocks and stuff for a more suitable environment for him. But money is a bit tight. Fiance is also trying to start a breeding business. She knows more about this stuff than I do. My go-to is cars, so I'm learning. He is kinda our mascot for the business. So he kinda gets the better of things (bigger better enclosures ect)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,151 Times in 1,164 Posts

His enclosure is kinda bare right now because we had everything out of it. We're in the process of adding more hides, but everyone is our house has been sick so we haven't really been able to put everything back in. I want to eventually be able to use that spray stuff where I can make rocks and stuff for a more suitable environment for him. But money is a bit tight. Fiance is also trying to start a breeding business. She knows more about this stuff than I do. My go-to is cars, so I'm learning. He is kinda our mascot for the business. So he kinda gets the better of things (bigger better enclosures ect)
    Love the name! The full name is beautiful and the nickname is catchy. It's rare to find a name that versatile.

I'm not a boa guy, but that hide seems too large. Snakes like a snug fit when they're hiding. You've already acknowledged that you need a cool side hide. A cardboard box will serve until you can get something better.

Go ahead and share with us your temp and humidity readings. Otherwise, we're just going to wonder.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022)

Thanks

Believe it or not, that's a Sterlite tub with a rock finish that I made the other day. Hot side hovers around 80-85 never goes over 86 unless I literally keep the lamps on for a while. Low side is kinda hard to keep accurately. Its roughly 73on the cooler and highest 75ish. I'm trying to work up some thermostats for better accuracy and learn more bout the temperatures he needs. The enclosure is so when he gets bigger we will already have him accustomed to it, kinda saves us money in the long run also. He came from a way smaller enclosure and believe it or not it seemed like he couldn't slither around when the night came because of the size.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ddurr92 For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts
    Just fyi, I use dried sphagnum moss often for many of my snakes (soaked, then drained & put in their "humid hides") and I've never seen any sort of bugs in it. There's other things besides snake mites & springtails- many, in fact, such as ordinary gnats- they tend to gather around moist houseplants too. More annoying than anything.

I agree with Homebody that your boa appears to want a snug space to feel safer in- & the hide may be too big for his tastes right now. I've been known to put a smaller hide inside a giant one, so the snake can go all the way into the small one, or sit on top of it in what is essentially a dark room (the large hide over all). You might experiment & see what he prefers- & don't forget that a hide on the cool side is appreciated too- double check the actual temp. inside the hide- it might be too warm, rather than too big.

And yes, there's nothing wrong with experimenting with clean cardboard boxes to find out what sort of hide your snake likes- they're easy to cut a doorway into, & toss out when they're dirty.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Ddurr92 (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022),Malum Argenteum (08-29-2022)

Thanks

I agree with the gnats. Omg they are terrible. Fly ribbon traps are what we have been using to try and reduce them. I made that hide because I figured the other one was too small because he wasn't staying in it like he use to. I'll try to experiment more for sure. I may just add more hides instead of moving him out of the enclosure. Really have no place for this enclosure right now to not use it ahahaha

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ddurr92 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,739 Times in 11,797 Posts

I agree with the gnats. Omg they are terrible. Fly ribbon traps are what we have been using to try and reduce them. I made that hide because I figured the other one was too small because he wasn't staying in it like he use to. I'll try to experiment more for sure. I may just add more hides instead of moving him out of the enclosure. Really have no place for this enclosure right now to not use it ahahaha

If you search, I remember seeing some other (non-toxic) methods to trap & get rid of gnats, something that lures them into drowning I think? Yes, they're obnoxious.

If that hide is too large at the moment, you can try wadding up paper (or an old t-shirt) & put that inside to make it more snug until he grows into it.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-30-2022),Ddurr92 (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast