Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,880

2 members and 2,878 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Far Future Pairing Ideas?

Hello! I am new here and to reptiles but I have been doing research for a while. My family has owned ball pythons in the past so they have been helping a bit.
    I recently just got my first bp and was considering breeding in the future. I am looking at getting a male soon but won't be breeding for a few years. I have a lemon blast calico female (pastel pinstripe) and she is absolutely gorgeous! https://photos.app.goo.gl/fzXtjwWSskF2V52U6
    I got her from Alan Walter (Classy Reptiles) and here are her parents
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/vFjvXVB3UiaZQzrd8
    I was looking at breeding some silver streaks in the future with a different female. I'm very interested in the pastel and black pastel genes. My budget is flexible as I have a few years. The breeding will not be for business so creating high value bps is not my focus. I would what kind of interesting combos she could make Thank you for any help or suggestions! I'd love to see some of the other beautiful bps out there!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 972 Posts
    Unless you are planning on keeping every baby, you need to place at least some priority on high quality offspring or they won't sell and you will be stuck with them. Right this minute there are 901 available Lemon Blast or Lemon Blast + available on morph market for example. Having ~6-8 hatchlings that will not sell gets expensive fast to feed and house.

One thing to keep in mind about Black Pastel is that a lot of people have problems with Super Black Pastels, like kinking or duck billing. You may want to avoid breeding Black Pastel to Black Pastel for that reason.

I think some of the more interesting morphs to put with Pinstripe are Leopard, Hurricane/Trick, and Acid. It really adds a whole different level to the pattern with the added manipulation and funkiness of side pattern.

If you really like the way Pewter, Silver Streak, and similar look you could always get a Pewter male to breed to her and you will get some pretty interesting offspring. You could increase the value a bit without seeing any visual difference by having the male have Clown as well, which would produce 100% het Clown, and perhaps hold back a nice female to breed back to dad later on to get visuals.

It might be worth looking into Mahogany Super Pastel and GHI Super Pastel to see if you like how those look compared to Silver Streak, since you wouldn't be dealing with the issues that Super Black Pastels can have. Those might be a better alternative.

I can think of all different sorts of things that can go well with her, but it really matters what appeals to you most, because if you don't love what you are working on, you shouldn't do it. What specifically about Black Pastel and Pastel do you like? Are there any other particular things that interest you, related or not related to your girl? I don't mind making some more suggestions if you have other morphs or looks that interest you. I think it's always a good idea to come up with several different ideas, mull it over, and then narrow it down rather than just go for one thing right off the bat. The more complex the end goal, the better, because then you can really have something to work on for some time, improving and getting closer to your goal each generation.
    7.22 BP 1.4 corn 1.1 SD retic 0.1 hognose

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nikkubus For This Useful Post:

Albert Clark (08-30-2022),Argentum (08-28-2022),Armiyana (08-29-2022),Bogertophis (08-28-2022),dakski (08-28-2022),Homebody (08-28-2022)