Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,355

3 members and 3,352 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Odd BP behavior

Thanks
    Thanked 19,826 Times in 11,845 Posts

Re: Odd BP behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Thanks. I agree and will increase to small mouse or weaned rat next feeding.
    As far as if she's being fed enough- we're not seeing her whole body- she might be on the thin side & need more food, so if you can post pics of her whole body (from above) we could better advise you too.

This might help:
    Last edited by Bogertophis; 08-26-2022 at 06:13 PM.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Harri (08-26-2022),Homebody (08-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    As far as if she's being fed enough- we're not seeing her whole body- she might be on the thin side & need more food, so if you can post pics of her whole body (from above) we could better advise you too.

This might help:
    I will post some when she comes out. She’s on the side of hide between hide and glass. I guess that’s hiding lol.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Harri For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-26-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Thanks. I agree and will increase to small mouse or weaned rat next feeding.
    Late to the party, but that makes sense to me. I like to feed the largest (healthy) option. For your BP, that would be a small-adult mouse. NO JUMBO MICE. TOO Fatty.

Then I would switch to rats as soon as possible because BP's can get used to mice. If you want to go weaned rat now, that's fine too. However, I think an adult mouse (18-24g) has more nutritional value than a weaned rat, but not by a ton. Do you feed live or F/T? If F/T you can also be a little more aggressive on size of rodent. If feeding live, for safety reasons, I would recommend feeding smaller prey more often.

I would be feeding an appropriate sized rodent every 7 days to beef her up. Not more than that. When she moves up from weaned rats I would go to every 10 days. Once at a good size and on small rats I would feed every 2 weeks. I would also not recommend going bigger than small rats unless she gets huge. For reference, my BP, Shayna, is about 1.8kg and happily eats a small rat every 2 weeks. A little goes a long way once they are adults and they tend to skip meals or fast if offered too large a meal and/or too often. Shayna still usually fasts a bit in the winter, but does not skip meals otherwise, unless in shed.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Harri (08-28-2022),Homebody (08-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Late to the party, but that makes sense to me. I like to feed the largest (healthy) option. For your BP, that would be a small-adult mouse. NO JUMBO MICE. TOO Fatty.

Then I would switch to rats as soon as possible because BP's can get used to mice. If you want to go weaned rat now, that's fine too. However, I think an adult mouse (18-24g) has more nutritional value than a weaned rat, but not by a ton. Do you feed live or F/T? If F/T you can also be a little more aggressive on size of rodent. If feeding live, for safety reasons, I would recommend feeding smaller prey more often.

I would be feeding an appropriate sized rodent every 7 days to beef her up. Not more than that. When she moves up from weaned rats I would go to every 10 days. Once at a good size and on small rats I would feed every 2 weeks. I would also not recommend going bigger than small rats unless she gets huge. For reference, my BP, Shayna, is about 1.8kg and happily eats a small rat every 2 weeks. A little goes a long way once they are adults and they tend to skip meals or fast if offered too large a meal and/or too often. Shayna still usually fasts a bit in the winter, but does not skip meals otherwise, unless in shed.
    Feeding her small mouse today. Then gonna try weaned rat in a week. I feed F/T and she’s a good eater so I assume it won’t be an issue. Keep y’all posted.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harri For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-28-2022),dakski (08-28-2022)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123