Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,667

0 members and 1,667 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,092
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
    Thanks

Hot hide humidity

Every time I change the substrate and wet it down, her hot side hide humidity hits like 90%! Is that bad if it sits there for a few days?

I don’t overdo it as the enclosure hits about 55-60%.

If not good, how do I prevent this?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: Hot hide humidity

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    Every time I change the substrate and wet it down, her hot side hide humidity hits like 90%! Is that bad if it sits there for a few days?

I don’t overdo it as the enclosure hits about 55-60%.

If not good, how do I prevent this?
    I don't think it'll cause any harm as long as the humidity in the rest of your enclosure is o.k.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Harri (08-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    I don't think it'll cause any harm as long as the humidity in the rest of your enclosure is o.k.
    It drops, it’s at 84% right now. Enclosure is 55%.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Harri View Post
    It drops, it’s at 84% right now. Enclosure is 55%.
    Regulating humidity is tough. It depends on the type of substrate you're using; how much water you add to it; how much ventilation your enclosure has; the humidity in the room; how the room humidity changes from day to night, from season to season. Shoot for an average of 60%, but it's going to vary. Monitor it, as you are doing, but don't react to every bump or dip. Watch out for low humidity when your snake is in shed, and don't let high humidity persist. Sorry, but that general advice is the best I can give you.
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Harri (08-26-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homebody View Post
    Regulating humidity is tough. It depends on the type of substrate you're using; how much water you add to it; how much ventilation your enclosure has; the humidity in the room; how the room humidity changes from day to night, from season to season. Shoot for an average of 60%, but it's going to vary. Monitor it, as you are doing, but don't react to every bump or dip. Watch out for low humidity when your snake is in shed, and don't let high humidity persist. Sorry, but that general advice is the best I can give you.
    For sure. Summer is harder cause of AC. But, I find that if warm hide humidity is up, I don’t have to stress about the overall humidity. Low isn’t an issue. I mix substrate one time every 7 days with water, maybe more. But I place moss on the logs and spray it as needed if humidity needs a bump.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Harri For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-27-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Sounds like your set up is fine. High humidity for a few days is okay, especially if your snake is in shed.

Alternatively, you can make a humid hide and keep the humidity 55-60%.

My two cents, I like the humid hide to be on the cool side or in the middle. If your temps are correct, your BP will only use the hot side when digesting. Ideally, you'd have a cool side hide, a middle hide, and a warm side hide. In that case, I'd make the middle hide the humid one. If you only have two, make the cool side the humid hide. If you do the latter, I would only keep it humid when your snake is in shed.

Depending on the type of enclosure and substrate humidity can be difficult to regulate. What kind of enclosure do you have? How are you heating it?

In my Boaphile tanks, which are PVC, paper substrate and large water bowl keeps humidity 50-60% easy. When I know an animal is going into shed, I mist 1-2x a day and that raises it enough for even my pickiest shedders to shed with ease.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Harri (08-28-2022),Homebody (08-28-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Sounds like your set up is fine. High humidity for a few days is okay, especially if your snake is in shed.

Alternatively, you can make a humid hide and keep the humidity 55-60%.

My two cents, I like the humid hide to be on the cool side or in the middle. If your temps are correct, your BP will only use the hot side when digesting. Ideally, you'd have a cool side hide, a middle hide, and a warm side hide. In that case, I'd make the middle hide the humid one. If you only have two, make the cool side the humid hide. If you do the latter, I would only keep it humid when your snake is in shed.

Depending on the type of enclosure and substrate humidity can be difficult to regulate. What kind of enclosure do you have? How are you heating it?

In my Boaphile tanks, which are PVC, paper substrate and large water bowl keeps humidity 50-60% easy. When I know an animal is going into shed, I mist 1-2x a day and that raises it enough for even my pickiest shedders to shed with ease.
    CHe and UTH. I use reptisoil and chip. One time a week I take some stuff out, pour in some water and mix. That regulates the humidity for a week outside the hide. In the hot hide humidity is always good.