Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,941

3 members and 2,938 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,087
Threads: 248,528
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, FayeZero
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,178 Posts

Re: Okay. Help me decide here.

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Not a dumb question. I got the tank from Jeff Ronne, the Boaphile, and it's one of his arboreal tanks. He installs little PVC blocks at an angle to make "V" on each side that the PVC pipe can sit in. The weight of the PVC pipe keeps them in place. If you wanted to be safe, you could drill a little hole in the middle of the "V" and put a rod through the hollow PVC to keep in it place. The blocks are screwed and glued in.

I imagine you could do a similar install on any PVC tank, but would want to check the angle of each block and the size of each block to make sure the PVC sits in properly and with a little depth so it doesn't just roll out.

Either way, you want them to be removable to clean the tank and the PVC perches.
    Couldn't you just use these?
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts
    "I've seen perches that go across the enclosure like what you have. How do you get them to stay up like that?"

Perches are a fairly easy install.

I mixed wood dowels wrapped with fake vines and real branches. 3 of my 4 cages have a real branch of some type in it.

I used V brackets for my perch systems. There are many options that will work. This is what the brackets look like screwed into the cage.

This cage is made of HDPE. The maker no longer builds and sells cages. Constrictors Northwest (Pro-Line Cages)

I no longer have this retic, however, every snake here uses the perches in their cage. That includes the royal.

If you have a Bredli, I'd 100% recommend perches.

The perches are easily removed, and the cages are easily cleaned.

There are advantages to natural substrate other than looks. It is absorbent and can be spot cleaned rapidly. Your animal won't be crawling around in damp urine if you aren't around when they empty. It doesn't need to be changed as frequently as paper and when you do change it out, a dust pan and paper bag is about all you need. I will vacuum everything out and use bleach and water during a "power clean" but spot cleaning is very easy.

Another benefit over paper or something with a smooth surface is reduced stress. I'd have to dig for it, but there was a study showing snakes apparently feeling more secure with something they could crawl on that gave them traction.

You could solve slippery surface issues with paper by offering ground decor and obviously perches above.

Hopefully this helps you out. A naturalistic cage really isn't a lot of work. Unless you have an enormous collection, there isn't a lot of extra effort to enjoy the setup.

With a little thought and work in the beginning, you will see the rewards afterwards.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022),Nitewolfie (08-29-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    I mixed wood dowels wrapped with fake vines and real branches. 3 of my 4 cages have a real branch of some type in it.

I used V brackets for my perch systems.
    One advantage of the V brackets over the closet pole flanges that I suggested would be the ability to use perches of varying shapes and sizes.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,822 Times in 11,841 Posts

...There are advantages to natural substrate other than looks. It is absorbent and can be spot cleaned rapidly. Your animal won't be crawling around in damp urine if you aren't around when they empty. It doesn't need to be changed as frequently as paper and when you do change it out, a dust pan and paper bag is about all you need. I will vacuum everything out and use bleach and water during a "power clean" but spot cleaning is very easy.

Another benefit over paper or something with a smooth surface is reduced stress. I'd have to dig for it, but there was a study showing snakes apparently feeling more secure with something they could crawl on that gave them traction....

That last part- about snakes needing traction- is something that became obvious to me thru many years keeping many snakes (& is really just common sense too), so "instinctively" I've never used any sort of paper* to line snake cages, other than layers of paper towels for hatchlings- & I mean the good ones (like Bounty) that have texture & are very absorbent.

I just cringe every time I see anyone suggesting newspaper to line cages with- as excrement just lays there on top for the snake to slide through- & by itself, newspaper is very slick.

Snakes rely so much on traction that I can see where it would be just as awful for them to be kept only on smooth paper substrate as it would be for us if we lived on an ice rink. But at least we have hands to grab on with...
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

Gio (08-29-2022)

Thanks

This is what I've done with his enclosure(so far. There's also a reptile expo in September that will have a lot more stuff then petstores here)

Also, I've always had a feeling snakes weren't always comfortable on surfaces like paper. I'm gonna start switching over my BPs to different substrate as well.
    Last edited by Nitewolfie; 08-29-2022 at 07:40 PM.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nitewolfie For This Useful Post:

Animallover3541 (08-30-2022),Bogertophis (08-29-2022),Gio (08-29-2022),Homebody (08-29-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Nitewolfie View Post

This is what I've done with his enclosure(so far. There's also a reptile expo in September that will have a lot more stuff then petstores here)

Also, I've always had a feeling snakes weren't always comfortable on surfaces like paper. I'm gonna start switching over my BPs to different substrate as well.
    Paper has its pros and cons.

Pro is it's easy to clean. Con is looks and traction. Traction is not an issue for most snakes, especially with printless newspaper as it's a little rougher. However, not perfect either.

I wouldn't worry too much about traction though.

On your enclosure, you probably want a bigger, but still shallow, water bowl for now to keep humidity up. I would also try to add some more climbing and potentially another hide.

https://flukerfarms.com/bamboo-bars/

The above are great for glass tanks. I used them for Yafe when he was in quarantine in a 14g plastic tank.

Good luck and keep us posted.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Homebody (08-29-2022),Nitewolfie (08-29-2022)

Thanks

I have a bigger water bowl I could put in there instead of the small one that's already in there.

Well two. One is bigger but not sturdy. My adult ball python kept tipping it over. Other one I can put in there is much bigger and deeper then the current one I have in there.

I'll also look into seeing if I can get the bamboo perches around here or something similar

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitewolfie For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-29-2022)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dakski View Post
    Paper has its pros and cons.

Pro is it's easy to clean. Con is looks and traction. Traction is not an issue for most snakes, especially with printless newspaper as it's a little rougher. However, not perfect either.

I wouldn't worry too much about traction though.
    I kept my BP on newspaper for a while so I'll add a note in its defense. It's true that paper is more slippery that coco bark, but it goes too far to say snakes can't get traction. My BP wasn't always flailing about helpless. He moved around well enough. It's also not as absorbent as eco earth, but it is absorbent. My BP didn't lie in a puddle of urine until I came along. The paper absorbed the urine well enough to keep it confined in one area that my BP avoided. So, I agree that paper is slipperier and less absorbent, but it's also cheaper and much easier to clean up. I get my newspaper for free. For most, it's not an added expense because it's recycled. While I agree that cleaning up substrate isn't difficult, it's a lot harder than paper. I'd bet dakski could clean 4 or 5 of his enclosures before Gio cleaned one of his. So, I think whether you use paper or substrate should come down to what works best for you.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-30-2022),Nitewolfie (08-30-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,571 Times in 2,984 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by homebody View Post
    i kept my bp on newspaper for a while so i'll add a note in its defense. It's true that paper is more slippery that coco bark, but it goes too far to say snakes can't get traction. My bp wasn't always flailing about helpless. He moved around well enough. It's also not as absorbent as eco earth, but it is absorbent. My bp didn't lie in a puddle of urine until i came along. The paper absorbed the urine well enough to keep it confined in one area that my bp avoided. So, i agree that paper is slipperier and less absorbent, but it's also cheaper and much easier to clean up. I get my newspaper for free. For most, it's not an added expense because it's recycled. While i agree that cleaning up substrate isn't difficult, it's a lot harder than paper. i'd bet dakski could clean 4 or 5 of his enclosures before gio cleaned one of his. So, i think whether you use paper or substrate should come down to what works best for you.

I would take that bet any day. I'd have 2-3 minutes to make up at the most and that's for a full clean out. I have a very practical room setup. A vacuum is steps away if the dustpan doesn't get it all.

With paper sub, you still have to crumple up all of your paper, toss it, get the new stuff and lay it out in the cage just right. I scoop, throw away and dump another bag. I've used both and the time savings just isn't a giant benefit with the caging I have here. With multiple racks, I would see a plus side.

Paper is in need of changing out far more often than quality substrate. You can re-add time saved when you are changing 3 times to my one. My old retic was on paper for a while, I changed him out a couple of times a day or more and he'd push the paper to one side of the cage leaving the other side bare. He was a messy fella and a jerk.

The benefits of paper favor the human more than the animal. Natural sub is simply more natural. That said, paper is great for detecting issues/illnesses with the snake, and I'd quickly go that route for a sick or suspected sick snake.

But hey, this isn't a debate about what substrate to use. Use what you want, it matters not to me.

The hobby is different for each of us. I personally prefer a display setting. I bought the animals to watch them. I enjoy seeing their behaviors and try to offer the most natural setting I can within reason.

As mentioned do what works for you.

You won't clean 4-5 similar enclosures to mine before I'm done with one though LOL!

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-30-2022),dakski (08-30-2022),Nitewolfie (08-30-2022)

Thanks

[/i][/b]I would take that bet any day. I'd have 2-3 minutes to make up at the most and that's for a full clean out.
    I'm impressed, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. You are BP.net Royalty and all. I suppose I was really imagining how long it would take me to clean the substrate out one of your enclosures compared to how long it would take me to clean the paper out of dakski's.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-30-2022)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast