Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,974

1 members and 2,973 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,031
Threads: 248,489
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, isismomma
    Thanks

Ball python not eating

Hi guys, I have a pastel ghi, recently become so much picky eater (TEMPERATURE, HUMIDITY, HIDING SPOT all good, NO RI, NO SICK SYMPTOMS ) but it just out of sudden become so picky, any method to get her to eat? She is currently 6++g feeding on frozen rats. Since her first meal I fed her on rats, so I asse not feeder type problem, anyone experienced this and how would you solve this problem?
    Last edited by Hannya; 08-21-2022 at 08:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Ball python not eating

Assuming temps and humidity are spot on, as you say, and there are no health issues, and adequate hides are being provided, and the cage is kept clean, and your BP isn't in shed, etc. etc. etc. BP's can go off feed.

Having said that, it would be helpful to list your parameters like temps, humidity, cage size and type, etc. for us to help you problem solve. Many people say everything is perfect and it isn't. Probably why people haven't answered yet. Also there are about 100+ threads on this exact topic.

It would also be helpful to know what size rat you are feeding, how often, and how you are defrosting and offering the rat. These are all relevant factors as well.

If you can answer the above we can try to help.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-22-2022),EL-Ziggy (08-22-2022),GoingPostal (08-22-2022),Homebody (08-22-2022),sp0420 (09-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 19,740 Times in 11,797 Posts
    And it's probably something very simple like you're just offering too much food. Rats too big for the size of the snake, and/or offering them too frequently.

But yes, I agree with dakski's post- we need all the details to actually be of help. Another thing- how much do you handle your snake? Do you handle her before feeding? Either the day of feeding, or to move her into another container/cage just for feeding? Everything matters.
    Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength.
    Eric Hoffer (1902 - 1983)

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bogertophis For This Useful Post:

dakski (08-22-2022),EL-Ziggy (08-22-2022),Homebody (08-22-2022),sp0420 (09-13-2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,691 Times in 3,863 Posts

Re: Ball python not eating

Quote Originally Posted by Bogertophis View Post
    And it's probably something very simple like you're just offering too much food. Rats too big for the size of the snake, and/or offering them too frequently.

But yes, I agree with dakski's post- we need all the details to actually be of help. Another thing- how much do you handle your snake? Do you handle her before feeding? Either the day of feeding, or to move her into another container/cage just for feeding? Everything matters.
    Thank you, Bogertophis. Many BP's are overfed with either size of prey or frequency, or both. Yes, many adult BP's fast in the winter, but not all. Also, my experience is smaller meals less frequently keeps adult BP's quite happy and healthy and wanting to eat (aside from winter fast). If a 600G animal is skipping meals, my first guess is a husbandry issue, but close second is size and frequency of prey.

As an example, my BP, Shayna, was a picky eater. I was offering medium rats every 2-3 weeks and she would skip a meal frequently. I went back to smalls and every 2 weeks and she eats like clockwork, initially gained weight, and has been stable at about 1,800G for the past two years. Prior to switching her back to small rats, and for years as an adult, she was about 1,600G.

Again, we want to help, so the more you can tell us, the better.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dakski For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (08-22-2022),Homebody (08-22-2022)

SPAMTASTICO!
    Thanks
    I think that once your snake is not eating, that means something is not right.
    You might think the temperature, humidity, and cage are all good and ideal, but they may not be.
    In most cases, there is a small detail that the breeder has overlooked, pay attention to that and you will find the reason.

Thanks
    I have over 100 bps currently and some will never miss a beat some sometimes go off feed randomly for different periods of time at different times of year. Its completely normal imo. You know your animals better then I do though and sometimes that does mean they could be developing ri etc. Depending on how long youve had it you may just not be used to that particular ones habbits. I would just keep an eye out for symptoms of any kind of sickness (like taking the prey but then dropping it and not feeding) or more obvious signs and keep an eye on the animals body condition. I wouldnt get to concerned unless i see obvious signs or i know that the behavior is particularly odd for that animal. Offer food a little less eventually hunger will get the best of them an theyll eat. Sometimes but not all of the time changing size/type of prey will get them to feed but as long as they look good I wouldn't stress too much.
    “It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something.”

FDR

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sp0420 For This Useful Post:

Bogertophis (09-13-2022)