Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,521

2 members and 3,519 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,093
Threads: 248,535
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Amethyst42
    Thanks

4x2x2 PVC Build Heating/Ventilation

So I decided to build a PVC enclosure for my BP. I want to give him more space than his current Exoterra Large/Low offers. It's mostly together (pics below), but I'm in no rush, just a free-time project. The vertical beams aren't fastened down, btw, they're just there for measurement purposes.

So among the many things left to do and the most important regarding planning before I move forward from here is what I'm going to do regarding heating and ventilation. Right now in the Exoterra, I have a heat mat and ambients are good just based on the room's temp. That will change by October and I will need another heat source to maintain good minimums. The heat mat won't work on the PVC, so I want to decide what I'll do with this new enclosure.

I'm either going to go with a radiant heat panel or two ceramic heat emitters and have questions regarding each.

With a radiant heat panel,I see that they're placed inside rhe enclosure. How do they keep the snake from burning itself by touching it? How do you maintain a proper gradient with one? Where should one be placed, the wall or the ceiling? And what kind of thermostat should be used with one?

Regarding the CHEs, if I went that route, I would cut out two circular holes in the roof, install a metal mesh, and place them on top. One hotter and one less powerful to maintain a gradient. My questions. Why do people suggest not using a dome lamp like with a light and instead suggest a wire lamp? What kind of thermostat should I use with them? If I have them over a metal mesh screen, would the snake possibly burn itself on the mesh?

Also, in terms of safety, I hear they may create fire risks. Should their thermostats not be plugged into a surge protector or should they?

In terms of ventilation, I plan to cut some slits across the top and sides that could be partially closed with thin plastic sheets to regulate ventilation/humidity. If I used CHEs would these be redundant since I'll already have lots of ventilation/humidity loss out the cutouts that allow the CHE to radiate down from?

Thanks for any input!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,184 Posts

Re: 4x2x2 PVC Build Heating/Ventilation

Quote Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
    With a radiant heat panel,I see that they're placed inside rhe enclosure. How do they keep the snake from burning itself by touching it? How do you maintain a proper gradient with one? Where should one be placed, the wall or the ceiling? And what kind of thermostat should be used with one?

Also, in terms of safety, I hear they may create fire risks. Should their thermostats not be plugged into a surge protector or should they?

In terms of ventilation, I plan to cut some slits across the top and sides that could be partially closed with thin plastic sheets to regulate ventilation/humidity. If I used CHEs would these be redundant since I'll already have lots of ventilation/humidity loss out the cutouts that allow the CHE to radiate down from?
    You should place the RHP on the ceiling at one end of the enclosure. They don't get hot enough to burn your snake. The enclosure temperatures will drop the further you get from the RHP creating your gradient. You should use a pulse proportional thermostat because they maintain steadier temperatures and prolong the life of your heating element.

My thermostat is plugged into a surge protector. I don't know if that makes it safer. I put it in there because I needed outlets.

I wouldn't add vents. Retaining heat and humidity is the most important thing with BPs. Unless, you're planning on making your glass front airtight, you'll have adequate ventilation.

I use an 80 watt Vivarium Electronics RHP that I got from Reptile Basics in my 3x2x2 plywood enclosure. You can see my set up here and here.
    Last edited by Homebody; 08-17-2022 at 11:37 PM. Reason: faulty links
    1.0 Normal Children's Python (2022 - present)
    1.0 Normal Ball Python (2019 - 2021)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Homebody For This Useful Post:

Kryptic (08-18-2022)